PDA

View Full Version : Quad Core is so worth it

pkirby11
01-16-07, 01:28 AM
I'm sitting here after setting this up, update a fresh install of Windows while installing a game and surfing the net all with not a drop in my peformance. God I love this, an man Intel did a great job on the Core 2 series.

I do have a question for anyone with the P5B Deluxe, whats the ACHI do and does anyone use it. When I switch over it causes Windows XP Pro to blue screen. Just curious if I'm missing something or if I really even need it. Thanks! Get Core 2 Quad now, it's fricken awesome! (nana2)

I'll have Pics and some other stuff up later today, gotta go to bed for right now.

john19055
01-16-07, 02:42 AM
I am looking to get one ,maybe the Core 2 Quad 6600 when the prices come down.

Muppet
01-16-07, 03:19 AM
I am looking to get one ,maybe the Core 2 Quad 6600 when the prices come down.
I myself am looking at getting one, but only after i go Phase first. These things do create a lot of heat.

john19055
01-16-07, 03:47 AM
Muppet ,what are you running your cpu at to get 3.9gigs,the highest I can get my Evga 680i to go with my E6600 is 1650 stable and that at 1.4v ,it does not manner how high I raise all the voltages ,that is just my boards limmit.I have a ASUS 650i SLi and it will do 2000 with no problems .

pkirby11
01-16-07, 09:21 AM
What CPU do you use?

I got a good deal on the QX6700, I was going to go with the Q6600 but Tankguys hooked me up. :D I'm a little worried though, I love it so far but I'm not sure if the board is defective or something else. The BIOS seems a bit slow when moving around in it and I've had a few random crashes today. It was roc solid yesterday with no problems, just started today. I'll have to play around a little more and see.

Also, I give Intel credit on a well designed CPU but man do there heatsink attachment ways suck. I could not for the life of me get my pins to go down on the Heat Sink I own, not the Intel box one, and was afraid I was or did damage the motherboard. I like AMD's Heatsink design so much better, I have to give that to AMD for sure. Short of that this thing rocks, just hope I had a fluke with the crashing.

Also, nothiing on AHCI? I don't think it really matters, just some Intel storage control design that doesn't seem to like Windows XP. If any one has any hints or ideas about it let me know, other wise I'll just stay in IDE mode.

A101Sugar
01-16-07, 04:32 PM
I would get one, but their too expensive :(

Lazaredz
01-16-07, 05:30 PM
I'll probably upgrade when UT07 or Crysis comes out IF there is a REAL improvement with a quad vs duo.

J-Mag
01-16-07, 05:33 PM
I'm sitting here after setting this up, update a fresh install of Windows while installing a game and surfing the net all with not a drop in my peformance. God I love this, an man Intel did a great job on the Core 2 series.

You had performance issues when installing a game and websurfing on your previous machine? Was it a 286?

pkirby11
01-16-07, 06:05 PM
You had performance issues when installing a game and websurfing on your previous machine? Was it a 286?

No, I was just giving a brief description. I was running two installations off of two different CD drives, installating 3 different drivers, surfing the net and running WOW: BC and nothing hiccuped at all. And yes, on my FX-60 this would have brought it to it's knee's crying for it's momma. :D Trust me, Core 2 is the way to go for processors and Quad is really the way to go if you have the cash. Can't wait to get off work!

SlieTheSecond
01-16-07, 07:12 PM
No, I was just giving a brief description. I was running two installations off of two different CD drives, installating 3 different drivers, surfing the net and running WOW: BC and nothing hiccuped at all. And yes, on my FX-60 this would have brought it to it's knee's crying for it's momma. :D Trust me, Core 2 is the way to go for processors and Quad is really the way to go if you have the cash. Can't wait to get off work!

Thats quite a bit different than "update a fresh install of Windows while installing a game and surfing the net"

So now your updating windows, running two installations off cd drives, running 3 installations of drivers, installing a game, surfing the net, and playing a game?

So you mastered the ability of playing a game while surfing at the same time. Kudos :)

pkirby11
01-16-07, 08:44 PM
Thats quite a bit different than "update a fresh install of Windows while installing a game and surfing the net"

So now your updating windows, running two installations off cd drives, running 3 installations of drivers, installing a game, surfing the net, and playing a game?

So you mastered the ability of playing a game while surfing at the same time. Kudos :)

Okay, if you people or going to be a smart a$$ fine. Or you can understand that yes it is possible. Did I say that they were all done at once, every thing but the game and net were done at once. How ever yes I was switching between the two so yes it was done at the same time.

I got an idea instead of being a smart a$$ people, just let me be happy. Intel made a good product and it smashes the crap out of AMD. Plain and simple, I love AMD. I waited and waited but I need and want the best and I have it. AMD lost out this round plain and simple, I hope they come back in the end because competition is great.

If you guys want to be sarcastic fine and if your trying to be funny it's not. Guess I don't need to share my thoughts and happiness. I bet if Jackup posted this you'd all be drooling. Well sorry to disapoint but if you don't like it or don't believe it tuff. I wrote that while at work real fast, so the wording wasn't perfect. What ever, I'm off to enjoy Quad Core goodness, have fun being jealous and knit picking threads to death.

SlieTheSecond
01-16-07, 09:50 PM
I didn't want to burst your bubble by any means. If you like it, thats great. I wasn't mocking quad cores. But it sounded like you are over rating something with false information or just changing your story to make it sound better.

Personally I have absolutely no use for a quad core cpu. Heck there is still lots of games that are only single core. But if the day comes that games utilize quad core or I feel like I need a separate core to encode videos x 4. I'll get one. But till then I've yet to hit a performance issue with this dual core.
I think I can pass on spending a thousand dollars so I can have a couple extra installers going at the same time.

pkirby11
01-16-07, 09:57 PM
I didn't want to burst your bubble by any means. If you like it, thats great. I wasn't mocking quad cores. But it sounded like you are over rating something with false information or just changing your story to make it sound better.

Personally I have absolutely no use for a quad core cpu. Heck there is still lots of games that are only single core. But if the day comes that games utilize quad core or I feel like I need a separate core to encode videos x 4. I'll get one. But till then I've yet to hit a performance issue with this dual core.
I think I can pass on spending a thousand dollars so I can have a couple extra installers going at the same time.

See and that's fine. Had you stated that cool, instead you act all sarcastic. Is it really that awesome, yes! Is it really worth it over say an E6600? Probably not. Will it be down the road? Yes! Am I able to do things that would choke on my AMD FX-60, yes and more than thought I would see. Was I lieing or trying to make it sound better? Nope! I just never really got my words together because I was up late and got no sleep. Was I giving an in depth review? No, so if I'm happy and I like it why does it matter to you? I'm not belittleing or insulting you purchase, nor am I bragging. I am how ever happy.

Ohh well, that's what I get for posting on forums. There's always a jealous or insultive jerk around to ruin your fun. Ohh well back to WOW: BC. Maybe I'll surf the net while I play at the same time!! :D

falqon
01-19-07, 10:07 PM
It's kinda funny how many people play monthly subscriptions for a game and spend most of the time doing WoW/something else. If I was bored and wanted to surf while playing, I think I'd get another game. :)

On topic, I'd love to see some numbers that show you couldn't do the same amount of multitasking with a core 2 duo, given the shared L2 and obvious bandwith limitations of the current Intel implementation. I read a valve interview a while back that said they really weren't planning on reaping much in the way of performance rewards until the 2nd or 3rd generation multi-core processors, I wonder if Gabe has a point,

But hey, if you've got the cash why not.

vandalous
01-20-07, 02:51 AM
/me dons +3 Cloak of Protection vs Thread Drama. :D