PDA

View Full Version : Squeeling 8800GTX Cause?

Roadhog
01-16-07, 04:12 PM
I think I found the cause to the squeeling, buzzing, or humming, whatever you call it 8800GTX's.

Today I bought a new Digital Multimeter to adjust the rails on my power supply.

I do that, and get them to 12.01v, 5.01v, and 3.30v from 12.25v, 5.25v, and 3.34v. Under load they don't change at all (3dmark, orthos, atitool, defrag).

My 8800GTX USED to make a buzzing noise under load, now It doesn't at all! So if you guys get a buzzing sound, you might want to check out what voltage your power supply is putting out.

ManOnFire
01-17-07, 01:50 AM
Good info, i had my share of squeeling computers in the past. How do you adjust the rail-voltage?

grey_1
01-17-07, 07:01 AM
Good info, i had my share of squeeling computers in the past. How do you adjust the rail-voltage?
I think the powerstream psu he's using has adjustable pots for output, or something similar.

EDIT: Yup
Each OCZ PowerStream family member includes the PowerFlex™ feature for fine-tuning the three adjustable power rails. An LED sits below each of the three adjustment dials; a green light indicates voltage is within ±5% of optimal, a yellow light indicates undervoltage, and red indicates overvoltage
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_powerstream_power_supply

Looks like a sweet psu.