PDA

View Full Version : Flashing the 680i BIOS

Xion X2
01-17-07, 01:02 AM
I'm about to pull my hair out here.

I've tried updating my BIOS on my BFG 680i, which I'm pretty sure is the P20 (dated 10/??). Reason is because I'm getting system instability (random lockups, occasional BSOD, missing files) -- you know, the typical SATA issues the board was plagued with in the beginning before the fixes.

Well, I've tried updating it 4 different ways now. First, I tried downloading the floppy update, but I can't get my floppy drive to work with this motherboard. Windows reads it, but the floppy isn't reading. I've tried several diskettes to no avail.

Second, I tried the USB flash, but even after moving the 3 bios files over onto the flash drive I couldn't boot off of it. I may not be doing this right; is there anyone that has flashed their BIOS this way? I tried setting the boot priority to removable 1st in the BIOS but when I save and exit the BIOS it just hangs on the bootup screen.

Thirdly, I tried using the Hotfix tool on BFG's site that examines your system to see if you need the BIOS update. Well, when I tried to run the tool it stops the installation check and tells me that my "platform is not compatible with this utility. Please see motherboard manufacturer for direct update." I'm running XP Home. I mean.. WTF? BFG board.. check. BFG website... check. BFG flashing utility.. check. BFG flashing utility working... fubar. After being on the phone w/ their tech support for about an hour (yes, I'm a sucker and always figure I'll get someone who knows what they're doing one day.. (finger hooked in jaw pose.. reel me in, please) the girl I'm talking to tells me that they don't know why the hotfix isn't working and suggests I take the motherboard out of my case and ship it out to them so that they can flash the BIOS.

Finally, I tried downloading the "system update" tool for the Control Panel after reading a few guys had success flashing their BIOS this way. Well, when I try to load the BIOS that I downloaded directly off BFG's site(P24) it tells me that the BIOS ID is different and stops the process altogether. And yeah, it's the BIN file that I'm trying to load.

I've followed the instructions closely on all these methods; it just seems this stupid motherboard does not want to update the BIOS.

I will try to pick up a cheap floppy drive tomorrow just in case I had a bad one, but in the meantime I wanted to check here and see if any of you could think of anything that I haven't thought of. Have any of you flashed with the USB flashdrive, for starters?

Muppet
01-17-07, 01:57 AM
I wish i could help, but i've only flashed with the Floppy method. I think jAkUp has flashed using the usb key

Xion X2
01-17-07, 02:20 AM
Slawter--can you go through step by step how you did it with the USB? Seems to me this would be the easiest way. I have a spare USB key laying around that I tried already but maybe it's not bootable or something?

How exactly did you do it?

jAkUp
01-17-07, 02:27 AM
Here is a way to flash the BIOS via pen drive :)

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21682

Xion X2
01-17-07, 03:42 AM
Thanks man, that looks much more detailed than anything else I've been able to find. I'll give it a try.

Xion X2
01-17-07, 04:24 AM
Thanks, slawter.. I'll give that a look as well.

Guys, which bios are you running? Is there one that's better for SLI setups? I didn't see the P24 image listed anywhere; the latest I could find was P23.

Xion X2
01-17-07, 05:48 PM
Well guys, the USB flash that jakup suggested didn't work either. This is just unbelievable. The USB device rebooted to DOS but it just sat there with a blinking cursor on the screen. I followed the instructions to a T; I double-checked the device before I rebooted and the two files that were supposed to be on there were.

I tried using the P23final.img that I found on the eVGA forums. The HP utility turned it into a BIN file like it should. The screen just hangs with a blinking cursor after the device reboots to DOS. I checked and I still have the P20 BIOS version, so no flash.

So I guess I'm off to try slawter's way next.

Xion X2
01-17-07, 06:07 PM
Well, I think I finally got it to work, but I'm not 100% sure.

I found a BIN for the P24 that the system update utility would accept, and it went through the flash process, then rebooted. But when it rebooted, I noticed I still had the BIOS Version 2.0563819(?) come up on the screen.

Is there a way to tell if this is indeed the P24 loaded on here now? Because I thought it would say "BIOS version 2.4-something" if it did. I did get the infamous "Found New Hardware" pop up when I got to windows and it asked me to reboot again.

Stoneyguy
01-17-07, 06:12 PM
Maybe try to clear you CMOS. It would seem that your Bios is somehow corrupt and the MAY help fix it.

J-Mag
01-17-07, 06:19 PM
Personally I have used the HP Bootable Flash Drive utility (it will work on any USB drive):

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23839.html

Xion X2
01-17-07, 06:28 PM
Personally I have used the HP Bootable Flash Drive utility (it will work on any USB drive):

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23839.html

Yeah, I tried that and it wouldnt' work. The bios hung on the dos screen w/ a blinking cursor.

I've confirmed that it's worked, though. I have the P24. I had to download Everest Home Edition to figure that out; you would think Nvidia would have some sort of utility available that would tell you which BIOS you had.

LgEnder
01-17-07, 06:47 PM
Does your case have a floppy plate cover? If so reseat the floppy a bit further back as the cover's ejection button is pressing slightly on the floppy ejection. This will cause disk's to be unreadable, though access tried will occur. This one had me stumped for a few weeks on my build.