PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 need 50GB Blu-ray

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
01-17-07, 02:30 PM
25GB are too small for MGS4, Kojima wants 50GB Blu-Ray disk for MGS4.

http://www.sagn.co.za/news.php?extend.366

It seem here are no chance to porting MGS4 to Xbox360 with DVD9.

superklye
01-17-07, 02:35 PM
A game taking up that much space is beyond ridiculous.

Q
01-17-07, 02:39 PM
A game taking up that much space is beyond ridiculous.

Well, they ARE including 47GB of trueHD cut scenes...

Edit: I've been misinformed. Only 27GB are going to be cut scenes. The other 20GB is going to be disk padding.

YOGIx213
01-17-07, 02:43 PM

Edit: I've been misinformed. Only 27GB are going to be cut scenes. The other 20GB is going to be disk padding.

Is that really the case? 20gb of padding? I've been out of the loop for awhile so I didn't hear of this but if that's true, that's pretty lame.

superklye
01-17-07, 02:44 PM
Is that really the case? 20gb of padding? I've been out of the loop for awhile so I didn't hear of this but if that's true, that's pretty lame.
I think he was being facetious...

thor1182
01-17-07, 02:47 PM
personally I think cut scenes is a cop out in a game. If your game engine can't run a cut scene from scripts in real time and look as good, you have done something wrong.

Its a waste of space on the disk to have all that prerecorded footage that could be easily just be scripted and run.

|MaguS|
01-17-07, 02:51 PM
MGS games use in engine cutscenes, so their scripted. its not prerecorded considering you can alter the camera to a degree.

thor1182
01-17-07, 02:54 PM
thats better sounding than what I got from what Qlitchford was saying, which I might have misinterpreted. But with that much cut screens, are you playing a game, or watching a movie?

|MaguS|
01-17-07, 03:06 PM
thats better sounding than what I got from what Qlitchford was saying, which I might have misinterpreted. But with that much cut screens, are you playing a game, or watching a movie?

Your playing an interactive movie, hehe... But yeah there are ALOT of scripted scenes in MGS games... ALOT... like hours upon hours... but they are rendered ingame (you can zoom and pan the camera to prove it).

thor1182
01-17-07, 03:09 PM
well I never played them before, and now have no real interest in playing them now. That just sounds so boring.

Burner_Tbird2
01-17-07, 03:11 PM

Well if it's over 25GB its over 25GB right? Doesn't matter if its over by 1GB or 10GB. And padding just helps increase the disk read speeds.

|MaguS|
01-17-07, 03:12 PM
well I never played them before, and now have no real interest in playing them now. That just sounds so boring.

Their really awsome games, I think they are far better then the Splinter Cell Series. MGS3 was probably my favorite one with the first following it (either the PSX or the GC Version) and MGS2 last due to playing as Riaden...

superklye
01-17-07, 03:13 PM
So Q wasn't being facetious.

Q
01-17-07, 03:19 PM
I was only partially being fatecous...fashist...facist..........facetious.

I was making a joke about how Resistance used something like 17GB of padding. Unless you don't compress your textures at all, which makes NO sense even in the world of 1080P, how can you use much more than 10GB MAX for the game alone? Either its padding, a bunch of HD video, or both.

Think about some of the HUGE games we have that fit on 2 DVD's with plenty of space to spare.

Marvel_us
01-17-07, 03:22 PM
MGS has always been realtime cut scenes. Audio could be another part that takes up a nice chunk but damn hopefully Kojima will say what it is that takes up all the space. Knowing him there will probably be an interview or something where he will say why.

Tygerwoody
01-17-07, 03:29 PM
That just sounds so boring.
The Metal Gear Solid series is comprised of THE best games of all time(especially the first one). The first Metal Gear Solid game is(in my opinion), the most revolutionary game of all time. Anything but boring.

thor1182
01-17-07, 03:32 PM
to each his own though. I was never a real big fan of the splinter cell games, although I did play all the way through the first one.

I would rather get my story in ways that Q4, HL2, Halo 1 + 2 did it. There were cut scenes, but they were not the whole game.

Marvel_us
01-17-07, 03:36 PM
to each his own though. I was never a real big fan of the splinter cell games, although I did play all the way through the first one.

I would rather get my story in ways that Q4, HL2, Halo 1 + 2 did it. There were cut scenes, but they were not the whole game.

Cut scenes are not the whole game though. I find that they usually give you a cutscene in MGS when you've just beaten a difficult stage/boss. Which to me feels kind of rewarding, then you watch the story unfold and prep for the next part of the mission.

thor1182
01-17-07, 03:40 PM
Ok, then I have no idea what the game is actually like then. I guess to someone who knows the series these little tid bits actually mean something to them. To me they don't mean much.

Bad_Boy
01-17-07, 03:41 PM
The quote in the OP article was taken out of context, he actually didnt mention 50GB at all in kojima's orginal quote. He just said 25GB wouldnt be all that hard to fill with next gen assets, mainly [uncompressed] sound.

thor1182
01-17-07, 03:43 PM
wow, thats a pretty bad out of context if true. So really MGS4 could come out on a DVD9 or two if he wanted.

Bad_Boy
01-17-07, 03:54 PM
wow, thats a pretty bad out of context if true. So really MGS4 could come out on a DVD9 or two if he wanted.
I'll try finding the exact quote. It sounded like kojima will take use of blu-ray's space, but he didnt exactly say 50GB's worth. The game could be 15GB for all I know.

edit:

Heres the orginal Quote from kojima
On working with Blu-ray
"You may hear Blu-ray is huge, gigantic, 20GB or so, but that's not really that big to us. One basic [gameplay] frame with HD visuals and 5.1 sound takes up so much space that the capacity will become too small in no time."
As you can see, no mention of 50GB.

edit2:
heres another quote on sound from kojima...
With next-generation consoles, both cinematics and in-game sound will closely resemble those found in Hollywood films," according to Kojima. He fully expects gamers to "be surprised by the quality of sound coming into their ears--the sound will react to their conditions in the 3D world like never before." For example, in the scenario where a bottle falls off a table, hits a metal shovel, and then rolls onto a carpet, conventional sound processing would have the bottle make the same sounds regardless of the environment, or what it collides with. That same scenario on the PlayStation 3 might have the bottle make a metallic tink when it hits the shovel, and then create a muffled rolling sound as it travels across the carpet. If the room had its own sound variables, the bottles sound might get take on some echo if in a bathroom, or get slightly quieter if in a bedroom. Then you have to factor in on-the-fly surround encoding, which would make the bottle pan from front to back or side to side in your room, depending upon the way it rolled.

The Metal Gear Solid team flew around the world to capture specific sounds for environments in the game. The group actually lugged surround-sound audio-recording equipment to capture sounds from undisclosed locations all around the world. Kojima's team also recorded special sound effects just for the game, instead of using prerecorded, CD-based sounds.

The new audio-processing capabilities of the PlayStation 3 allow Kojima and his team to manipulate sound in a variety of different ways. Kojima says that, "With this power, we can give the player a better environment to experience, as the hardware can produce more sounds in real time based on where the player is in a room and what objects are in that room." Last year's Tokyo Game Show trailer emphasized the theme "No place to hide!" and Kojima, as sound director, will do all he can to envelop the player in the world of Metal Gear Solid. "In a battlefield with no place to hide, you will hear impending dangers all around you, in all 360 degrees

tornadog
01-17-07, 04:48 PM
It all very good to hear, but I have gotten 2 warnings from my apartment's safety officer for loud noise from my TV. Do you think I would care abt 30 GB of loud noise?????

MustangSVT
01-17-07, 05:11 PM
Another propaganda thread from AthlonXP1800. What else is new?? :rolleyes:

Moo
01-17-07, 10:40 PM
Are they double-data'ing MGS4 also? ;)

Edited to add link.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/01/ps3_oblivion_seeing_double_to.php

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/oblivions-double-data-bluray-kludge-229496.php

(Adding multiple sets of data on the BR disc to compensate for slower bluray seek time, therefore negating BR storage advantage)