PDA

View Full Version : Vista Question

Q
01-17-07, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know how to "Sort By Name" in the new Start Menu under All Programs? It's gotta be something simple, (it was REAL simple in Xp...just a right click away).

Any ideas?

Q
01-17-07, 04:13 PM
Well, nevermind....kind of.

Under the properties menu/customize you can have it organize Alphabetically, but I'm wondering how to get the folders on top...

einstein_314
01-17-07, 04:51 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure. It automatically alphebatizes...but it puts the folders at the bottom. I'll have a look when I get home...don't have vista here at work.

Redeemed
01-17-07, 05:02 PM
I have never used Vista untill last night. We sold off all of the old display laptops, and last night we setup the new ones with Vista. So... I "tinkered" around with them a bit- all of maybe 5 minutes. :o

Any how, I'm sold. I'm buying Vista ASAP. :D

jAkUp
01-17-07, 11:27 PM
Can you not drag the folders to the top? I will have a look...

Q
01-18-07, 12:14 AM
Can you not drag the folders to the top? I will have a look...

It shadows like it will, but then they won't move. It's wierd.

Anyone know of any software firewalls that are Vista compatable? Its a NO-GO for ZoneAlarm and Comodo.

Q
01-18-07, 12:32 AM
Update 26 - The search for a Software Firewall

wf.msc looks like it could help me out, but its not very user friendly.

Q
01-18-07, 12:54 AM
Update 23415 - No immediate need for firewall

Under XP MCE, I had to run a firewall so I could share TV with my roommate and not have to worry about the whole dorm getting in my system. With Vista, I just set it to where people must have an account on my machine and a password before they can access my files.

Sweet.

einstein_314
01-18-07, 02:06 AM
Ok well if you uncheck the "sort programs by name" box in start menu properties > customize, it lets you drag the folders around wherever you want...not the easiest way...but it works.

LycosV
01-18-07, 02:09 AM
If you want it alphabetical you found the spot but like you said files go first in the start menu (under vista anyway). Just get rid of the files in the folder you want sorted or like einstein said turn off sorting and just move them where you want them.

nekrosoft13
01-18-07, 08:29 AM
Update 26 - The search for a Software Firewall

wf.msc looks like it could help me out, but its not very user friendly.

onecare 1.5 beta from microsoft works, but in 32bit only so far

norton has internet security 2007 beta from vista, but i wouldn't use a norton product, symantec corp version i still would use, but no firewall yet

Q
01-18-07, 10:26 AM
onecare 1.5 beta from microsoft works, but in 32bit only so far

norton has internet security 2007 beta from vista, but i wouldn't use a norton product, symantec corp version i still would use, but no firewall yet

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking by using the wf.msc options I MIGHT not need a 3rd party firewall. You can block outgoing and do some advanced stuff, so it might fulfill my needs. My university has a firewall on the router level, so I just have to worry about local pests more or less.

And I hate Norton with a passion. We have a Symantec office in my town and I always want to go poop on thier doorsteps. My university "requires" Symantec Corporate to be on the network. Basically, it just has to be present when a registration tool is run in the beginning, so that crap ware comes off in a hurry. Its better than vanilla Norton, but still pales in comparison to NOD32 or Kaspersky.

nekrosoft13
01-18-07, 01:57 PM
i use corp symantec at home, client security package to be excact

i hate nod, and kaspersky used more ram on my system then client security

Q
01-18-07, 02:33 PM
i use corp symantec at home, client security package to be excact

i hate nod, and kaspersky used more ram on my system then client security

I like the interface for SAV, but I found that NOD tends to pick up a LOT more stuff than SAV. I'm a student tech at the university, so I get to see first hand about 1000-2000 PC's in which SAV routinely misses stuff that a NOD or even ClamWin scan will pick up.

But you're right about the overhead for NOD and Kasp.

Absolution
01-18-07, 02:57 PM
bullguard has a vista antivirus/antispam/antispyware suite out for vista (firewall is for beta2)
you may still be able to get into the beta testing

so far its working well.

nekrosoft13
01-18-07, 03:14 PM
I like the interface for SAV, but I found that NOD tends to pick up a LOT more stuff than SAV. I'm a student tech at the university, so I get to see first hand about 1000-2000 PC's in which SAV routinely misses stuff that a NOD or even ClamWin scan will pick up.

But you're right about the overhead for NOD and Kasp.

i got about 200+ pcs here at work to look after (lee63)

at work all pcs are symantec corp, thats the companies policy.

but i did tried nod, kasp, zonealarm, and few other at home.

Q
01-18-07, 03:32 PM
i got about 200+ pcs here at work to look after (lee63)

at work all pcs are symantec corp, thats the companies policy.

but i did tried nod, kasp, zonealarm, and few other at home.

Same thing about the company policy. And SAV IS really nice for managed software and pushing updates/policy.