PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX or 8800 GTS

aerocoolpc73
01-17-07, 10:04 PM
Hello everyone longtime visitor 1st time register, question is I am building a new high end PC to replace my Socket A X850XT agp system. My dilema is this do I go with 1 gig of PC4000 ram and 8800 GTX or option 2 which is 2 gig of PC4000 ram and 8800 GTS. Any suggestions would be appreciated very much and I wish you all a very happy gaming new year in 2007.

Slammin
01-17-07, 10:18 PM
I heard the Radeon 9700 is a very good card.

SlieTheSecond
01-17-07, 10:23 PM
I would say that would depend on what cpu psu and display resolution will be.

aerocoolpc73
01-17-07, 10:44 PM
I will be getting AMD Opteron 165 Dual 1.8 1 or 2 gig of crucial ballistix pc 4000 ram and I plan on upping my resolution in games to at least 1600x1200 full AA and full AF

aerocoolpc73
01-17-07, 10:46 PM
Sorry the OCZ 700 watt gamerxstream is my target PSU

aerocoolpc73
01-17-07, 10:50 PM
I do plan on overclocking the live crap out of that Opteron as well using the ASUS A8N Premium SLI motherboard

jAkUp
01-17-07, 11:24 PM
If you definitely cannot have 2GB with the GTX, go with the GTS and 2GB of ram.

RussianHAXOR
01-18-07, 01:34 AM
Agreed, 2 Gb is more important than having 1 and an 8800GTX.

aerocoolpc73
01-18-07, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the replies and your knowledge. I have decided to get this upgrade
AMD OPTERON 165 (Going to OC it as far as it will go)
ASUS a8n premium sli mb
2 gig of crucial ballistix pc4000 ram
evga 8800gts superclocked
ocz 700 watt gamerxstream psu
WD 320 gig sata 3.0 16 meg cache HD

RussianHAXOR
01-18-07, 10:10 AM
Very nice!! yea, if i get an 8800GTS i will have to probably get watercooling or something because a 2.6GHZ OC isnt enough.

Toss3
01-18-07, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies and your knowledge. I have decided to get this upgrade
AMD OPTERON 165 (Going to OC it as far as it will go)
ASUS a8n premium sli mb
2 gig of crucial ballistix pc4000 ram
evga 8800gts superclocked
ocz 700 watt gamerxstream psu
WD 320 gig sata 3.0 16 meg cache HD
Sorry for asking you this, but why not a c2d setup instead?

NoWayDude
01-18-07, 10:41 AM
Pretty good setup. Mine is running nicely since I bought the GTS.

aerocoolpc73
01-18-07, 03:17 PM
Hi guys, appreciate all the feedback you are giving me very much. In response to the CD2 first and foremost I am AMD dedicated and will always stick by AMD processors. And #2 a Core 2 system will cost more and I would have to cut corners on memory and most likely the graphics card which I really don't want to consider doing. As afterthought I have always been ATI faithful but I am 98.746238374% sure I am going to give the 8800 series a try since waiting for R600 is going to take to long and it will pull over 200 watts of power and run hotter than all hell. ATI/NVIDIA I go with the best available at the moment. Intel is just not going to factor in to the equation even if they are the fastest at the moment. Once again thank you so much for the feedback and your suggestions.

FastRedPonyCar
01-19-07, 09:49 AM
Looks like it'll be a pretty stout system. While I'm more of an Intel guy myself, I think the Opteron and A8N board should serve well.

As far as the ram vs video card goes, how soon after you build this do you think you'd have the extra $$ laying around for another potential stick of ram?

Reason I ask is becuase if you get 1 gig and get the GTX, you could always upgrade with another stick of ram in the future which is much more affordable than upgrading to a new video card.

Oh and unless you are just dead set on the OCZ PSU, I'd reccomend either of the Corsairs. Cheaper, built like tanks, hella reliable and they're modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=CMPSU&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Uberpwnage
01-19-07, 01:28 PM
I'm surprised no one is recommending a DFI board for his Opteron, as oc'ing is his main goal.

On Newegg, the DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166) is only $17 more then the Asus. And even the non-expert (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136157) is only $4 more, which I would still take over the A8N for oc'ing.

It probably wont be that much of a difference. However, with an 8800 you're going to want the max possible oc. In this case, I think DFI is the better option.

Either board is a good choice. Some people always go with Asus, as its a brand they trust. I went from an Asus board to the SLI-DR Expert, and I prefer DFI now because of how great the Expert has been.

FastRedPonyCar
01-19-07, 01:43 PM
I'm surprised no one is recommending a DFI board for his Opteron, as oc'ing is his main goal.

On Newegg, the DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166) is only $17 more then the Asus. And even the non-expert (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136157) is only $4 more, which I would still take over the A8N for oc'ing.

It probably wont be that much of a difference. However, with an 8800 you're going to want the max possible oc. In this case, I think DFI is the better option.

Either board is a good choice. Some people always go with Asus, as its a brand they trust. I went from an Asus board to the SLI-DR Expert, and I prefer DFI now because of how great the Expert has been.

I built one of my brother's pc's with that DFI (non expert) board and if I recall, got a fairly substancial overclock on a 3800 Venice A64 cpu...somewhere in the 3 ghz range. That and an X1800. It's a pretty quick machine and was really fast back in the day when that 3800 cost an arm and a leg.

aerocoolpc73
01-19-07, 05:34 PM
Hi guys, sorry for the late reponse here and thank you for your suggestions. I love the look of the DFI boards and was considering them from the get go but I am total noob to overclocking Cpu/MB/Ram. This will be my first non HP system and unlocked bios and I was told that the DFI though rich on features are hard boards for newbies like me to figure out. I would love one and can certainly afford either of the 2 you recommended as they both were initially 2 of my choices. Thanks again so much for taking the time to help me with my upgrade all suggestions you have are taken very seriously and any others are welcomed.

Uberpwnage
01-19-07, 09:46 PM
Hi guys, sorry for the late reponse here and thank you for your suggestions. I love the look of the DFI boards and was considering them from the get go but I am total noob to overclocking Cpu/MB/Ram. This will be my first non HP system and unlocked bios and I was told that the DFI though rich on features are hard boards for newbies like me to figure out. I would love one and can certainly afford either of the 2 you recommended as they both were initially 2 of my choices. Thanks again so much for taking the time to help me with my upgrade all suggestions you have are taken very seriously and any others are welcomed.

I felt the same way before I bought mine, thats why I headed over to the DFI Street forums and read several of their guides. Apparently DFI ended their affiliation with DFI street and restructured their forums. So if I were you, I would check out the new DFIclub forums (http://global.dficlub.com/), and the guides section. Hopefully, you can become fairly comfortable with the SLI-DR's BIOS, and have a good plan on how to oc your 165 before you make the purchase.

Maverickman
01-21-07, 10:10 AM
aerocool, too bad you're such an AMD loyalist. Maybe Intel wronged you somehow? Many of us liked AMD because that company simply had the better CPUs. Now that Intel has got its act together, we're making the switch to the Core2 Duo. Simply put, it;s the fastest CPU available. I'm not saying AMD is bad, but your brand loyalty will limit how fast you rig will perform. Core2 E6300 and E6400 CPUs are pretty cheap now, and you can overclock the heck out of them!:captnkill:

john19055
01-23-07, 06:44 AM
I am a AMD person,but I have to go with who makes the best processor for the price and performance,They have the Core 2 Duo E4300 that is $179 and is clocked at 1.8gig and has a 9 multipler,and they are overclocking to 3.4gig and higher.And a ASUS 650i SLI is just $139 and it overclocks great ,and you can get two gigs of PC667 for under $200,and it will outperform the Opteron1.8g buy quiet a bit