PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an Xbox 360?

Pages : [1] 2

Jon
01-18-07, 03:45 AM
Hi, I've wanted to get an xbox 360 for a while and as some of the older games are going cheap now its a great time. The one thing stopping me is all the bad press I've read about the overheating/high failure rate. So I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable could answer some questions for me:

1:- The initial batch of 360's seemed to have a higher failure rate than the later ones, has Microsoft changed anything so far in the design to fix the problem?

2:- The room I will be using it in varies in temperature from around 25-35 degrees and I play a lot! Is this asking for trouble with the console overheating?

3:- If I do get a 360, is it worth getting one of the cooling systems available? And if so, which one do you recommend?

Thanks, Jon.

toxikneedle
01-18-07, 03:55 AM
I've said it many times before, it is a common misconception that most 360's die of overheating. Most of the time the 360 dies from hardware failure (represented by 3 red rings) where as overheating is only 2 red rings. Most of those failures were attributed to the bad memory that MS was provided from an outsourced german manufacturer. Some people say that the 360 is loud from fan noise because of how hot it runs, also not true, that is the high spinning disk drive that the 360 has.... the fans are very quiet themself. I've had 2 different coolers for my 360, and I recommend neither, they are pointless and useless.... don't get any.

I would suggest getting the warranty from MS, it's pretty cheap, imo, and the repair turn around time from MS is quite fast as well.

Arioch
01-18-07, 04:10 AM
You get a full one year warranty now from Microsoft which makes the decision to buy one easier I think.

Jon
01-18-07, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the excellent advice.

I'm thinking at the moment of going for the core console + extra wireless controller + memory card + dead rising.

This works out cheaper than the premium bundle (don't want the hard drive or headset) and I get a game I want.

crainger
01-18-07, 06:32 AM
No hard drive? It comes in very handy for demos and what not.

Badboy_12345
01-18-07, 06:53 AM
I think if you buy a x360 core then thats not a x360....
One of the best thing about the x360 is the xbox live and marketplace you pretty much need the HD for those

saturnotaku
01-18-07, 07:27 AM
1:- The initial batch of 360's seemed to have a higher failure rate than the later ones, has Microsoft changed anything so far in the design to fix the problem?

As long as you buy one with the latest manufacturing date you can find, you should be fine. I've not heard about units with mid-late 2006 build dates failing.

2:- The room I will be using it in varies in temperature from around 25-35 degrees and I play a lot! Is this asking for trouble with the console overheating?

As long as you keep the unit in an area with good air circulation, you should be fine.

3:- If I do get a 360, is it worth getting one of the cooling systems available?

No. Those things cause more problems than they solve.

And to everyone else, if the guy doesn't want the hard drive, he doesn't want the hard drive.

DJMONDY
01-18-07, 09:04 AM
Get one mate they are awsome.

If it breaks take it back and renew you reciept. if you can get the hdd but its not essential if your not looking to download content. its worth it try out new demos and for downloadable content like maps and stuff and if you havnt got a map for GOW for example then you wont be able to play.

Also if you can it get a headset aswell. it makes a massive difference while playing and you can have a good laff with oters on live too.

Get a 360 mate you wont regret it!! oh and dead rising is an awsome game you'll love it!

Dont get the cooler! if you system breaks it might leave you thinking its the cooler that casued it. if your 360 is gonna break let it happen the normal way.

Live is awsome ;)

ENU291
01-18-07, 09:11 AM
No hard drive equals no Xbox Live Marketplace. Do NOT buy the Core system. You will actually end up paying more in the long run. The Premium system already comes with one wireless gamepad, a headset and the 20GB HD. So if you factor that in you'll see that:
Core + Wireless GP + Memory Card = $380
Premium + 1 Wireless GP = $440

You are only saving $60 and at the end of the day you'll have less space to save game data, you can not download game demos and you'll miss out on movie previews. You also have to factor in that without an HD games won't be able to buffer data to speed up loading times. My advice is to get the Premium, hold off on buying the second controller and buy a used copy of Dead Rising. ;)

Jon
01-18-07, 09:33 AM
Thanks again for the advice.

At the moment, I am mostly looking at single player games or split screen co-op games so I won't get live straight away.

I realise that if in the end I do decide to get the HD then I will end up paying more. But for the moment, if I buy the premium bundle then I can't afford any games to go with it!

At least with the core, even if I decided not to get the extra controller I could afford 2 games. Then I could get dead rising and Gears of war :D

Toss3
01-18-07, 09:38 AM
Yes

MustangSVT
01-18-07, 09:51 AM
The core is a bad deal.

Premium
20GB HDD, component cables, 1 month live tryout, wireless controller

Core
none of the above, you don't get component cables, which means it'll look like ass

Plus there's bundles nowadays so you can get like PGR3 or Ghost Recon included in the premium price.

Namrok
01-18-07, 10:12 AM
Man, I've made that decision more than a few times in my cash strapped college days, or even my allowance saving public school days. Spend X amount of money now (and I want it NOW) but get a bad deal, or wait a little longer, save a little longer, and get what I really want.

Generally its best to hold off until you can get the package thats worth getting, and its especially true with the 360. Having the HD is pivotal for enjoying demos, live arcade and watching trailers. And trust me, the demos are great. I never thought I'd need the headset, I never play online much, and then I started playing Gears of War coop and was glad I had it. Plus, once you go wireless with the controller you can never go back.

Just wait till you have enough money for the Premium pack.

sytaylor
01-18-07, 10:47 AM
Should you buy a 360?

Yes.

zoomy942
01-18-07, 10:54 AM
here i come to Wii the day! :) :)

Imbroglio
01-18-07, 11:13 AM
as saturn stated, stay the hell away from the nyko coolers, as they not only void your warranty, but they also end up breaking more systems than helping.

some genius figured that by forcing air in with no exhaust was a smart idea. moronic engineers ftw

nemecb
01-18-07, 11:20 AM
some genius figured that by forcing air in with no exhaust was a smart idea. moronic engineers ftw
It's amazing how many people think this will work though. "But I'm blowing all this cool air in, so it must be good cooling." Except all that cool air is just going in and heating up to become hot air that just sits there frying your expensive electronics. It comes up quite a bit with clueless people building their own PCs.

LurkerLito
01-18-07, 12:00 PM
I have to agree, I don't subscribe to Live but the HD I think is essential. Even though you can get the games you want with the core in the end you will be better off holding off the purchase and getting the premium with the hard drive.

As far as games go I would expect that Dead Rising will hit the lower priced section soon. It has already gone on sale a few times for $39.99 or less at my local stores. That usually means it is on the way to the lower price 360 games. Maybe by the time you have enough for the premium system you'll be able to buy it at the reduced price.

Tygerwoody
01-18-07, 01:31 PM
It's amazing how many people think this will work though. "But I'm blowing all this cool air in, so it must be good cooling." Except all that cool air is just going in and heating up to become hot air that just sits there frying your expensive electronics. It comes up quite a bit with clueless people building their own PCs.
lmao....

My first PC I ever built(was 15), I did that! I had all 4 of my fans pointing inside. I remember thinking "thats stupid, why do people have their fans pointing out? Thats just wasting a fan." :rofl

toxikneedle
01-18-07, 01:44 PM
lmao....

My first PC I ever built(was 15), I did that! I had all 4 of my fans pointing inside. I remember thinking "thats stupid, why do people have their fans pointing out? Thats just wasting a fan." :rofl
yeah, i did the same thing... i had to google to learn that front/side=intake and top/back=outake. I got scared because my video card's idle temp went up to 90 degrees.

nemecb
01-18-07, 02:00 PM
In fairness, the only reason I didn't do that on my first computer was that there was only one fan and that was the psu fan. Which I actually was dumb enough to flip over so it ended up blowing hot air back from the psu into the case, thinking that blowing air on the processor was what I wanted to do. Fortunately this was in the day of the P1 when you could get away with booting without a heat sink and it would actually run (however briefly) without frying the processor.

Lyme
01-18-07, 02:51 PM
As one who has had a 360 since december 2005 and use it for lots of things, I strongly recommend a hard drive in the least for patches and updates and such. Please remember you can get the patches and updates with the free silver XBL subscription.

ViN86
01-18-07, 03:06 PM
yes, get a 360. you wont regret it.

npras42
01-18-07, 03:43 PM
I agree with most people here and will say yes get an XBOX 360. They have come in to their own over the last 4-5 months and there are enough games to keep you happy for a while.

I'm not sure I agree about the HDD. I got the core. I don't ever feel like downloading demos or videos/trailers. Just doesn't interest me. The only thing you'll miss out on that I think is worthwhile is the XBOX Live Arcade. You could still get some of the smaller games (Geometry Wars!) that fit on the mem card easily and leave plenty of room for save games, but some of the newer Live Arcade games are 50MB and Castlevania is apparently going to be more. Also, you need the HDD for Backwards Compatibilty, so if you don't have an XBOX but want to play Halo 2, Ninja Gaidne etc, you'll need that HDD.

In the end, I still think I made the right decision, because I expect MS to eventually release a bigger HDD - though I'm not saying this will happen anytime soon, probably not in 2007. At that point I'll pick one up and not lose any money. On the other hand, those with the 20GB may end up buying the bigger HDD as well, so they'll be the one's losing money. Though they'll have had the advantage of having a HDD all this time.

Its always good to look at things from both sides!

rabblerouser
01-19-07, 12:40 AM
I bought the 360 premium and have not had any issues at all.

I've also read reviews where they've said the 360 is loud. I haven't found it loud at all. Maybe those were the initial batch. Mine seems pretty silent.