PDA

View Full Version : Sony CEO PR... haha

Imbroglio
01-18-07, 11:53 AM
Linky (http://news.com.com/Sonys+brave+Sir+Howard/2008-1041_3-6150661.html?tag=st.num)

I think we have 20 games out there. I assume we're going to increase the number of games.

Lost in the shuffle is the fact that the current games that are out there are only using about 20 percent to 25 percent of the bandwidth. Once the publishers' excitement reaches a level of intensity that they start using more of the bandwidth, that will create additional excitement.
:udawg:

Do you think the PlayStation 3 might become a vehicle for other applications or other forms of entertainment?
Stringer: Absolutely. Despite understandable concern about the cost--the whole purpose of PlayStation 3 is to create future opportunities. The early anxiety is that the Cell chip is expensive for consumer electronics applications. But prices come down, and for the first time in the last few months the Cell chip group is beginning to come up with Cell applications that are quite exciting. And I don't mean just the Stanford supercomputer (type of application), but beyond that. We're clearly at the stage where the opportunities for that high-powered processor are gathering momentum.

*gasp* cancer curing apps?

sony pr is definately t3h win

ENU291
01-18-07, 12:26 PM
Howard Stringer and the rest of Sony's head honchos should just STFU when it comes to technical figures or details. Mr. Stringer is clueless when it comes to anything related to the PS3's abilities. What does bandwidth have to do with the PS3? Is the PS3 now a DSL modem or something??

Xav
01-18-07, 12:39 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that was chuckling at those statements. Did you see how many quotes that Sony PR dept. had to call back and correct or gloss over?

Good stuff.

Bad_Boy
01-18-07, 12:43 PM
What does bandwidth have to do with the PS3? Is the PS3 now a DSL modem or something??
huh? you know like gpu/cpu bandwidth lol.

anyways stringer is a joke, he doesnt even run the ps3 stuff. the only sony rep I respect is harrison. The rest can stfu.

Imbroglio
01-18-07, 12:54 PM
Did you see how many quotes that Sony PR dept. had to call back and correct or gloss over?

Good stuff.

yea i saw that and thought, who is this guy to speak if sony has to correct or "fix" everything he was saying.

he said HD-DVD sold 60,000 discs, they knew he meant add-ons for the 360 and is just a moron

toxikneedle
01-18-07, 01:41 PM
huh? you know like gpu/cpu bandwidth lol.

anyways stringer is a joke, he doesnt even run the ps3 stuff. the only sony rep I respect is harrison. The rest can stfu.
Harrison sounds smart but in every interview before and around the time of the PS3 launch he kept saying how Motorstorm is going to be this killer app..... when it wasn't even a launch title. He was basiclaly telling people to wait for Motorstorm to come out. I just think it was a dumb move, he should of been out there hyping Resistance instead.

Bad_Boy
01-18-07, 02:01 PM
Harrison sounds smart but in every interview before and around the time of the PS3 launch he kept saying how Motorstorm is going to be this killer app..... when it wasn't even a launch title. He was basiclaly telling people to wait for Motorstorm to come out. I just think it was a dumb move, he should of been out there hyping Resistance instead.
To be fair, hes probably spent closer time with motorstorm than most or all of the launch titles. Motorstorm was developed right near his HQ of SCEE so if hes more impressed about motorstorm than resistance he probably has a good reason to be. Plus there was a free demo at launch so its not a big deal to make a comment like that. Resistance isnt even 1st party, more like "2nd party" software.

Harrison is easily the smartest and well spoken reps working @ sony imo. He actually thinks before he speaks sort to speak. ;) And by well spoken, I mean he can make something boring turn into something pretty interesting just by how he explains something. Besides...Nothing good comes from when kaz, kutaragi, stringer, or dille speaks. :p

toxikneedle
01-18-07, 02:10 PM
To be fair, hes probably spent closer time with motorstorm than most or all of the launch titles. Motorstorm was developed right near his HQ of SCEE so if hes more impressed about motorstorm than resistance he probably has a good reason to be. Plus there was a free demo at launch so its not a big deal to make a comment like that. Resistance isnt even 1st party, more like "2nd party" software.

Harrison is easily the smartest and well spoken reps working @ sony imo. He actually thinks before he speaks sort to speak. ;) And by well spoken, I mean he can make something boring turn into something pretty interesting just by how he explains something. Besides...Nothing good comes from when kaz, kutaragi, stringer, or dille speaks. :p
Just admit it Bad_Boy, you have a bald-man fetish. :D

|MaguS|
01-18-07, 02:12 PM
Resistance isnt even 1st party, more like "2nd party" software.

Actually its completly 3rd Party. Insomiac is not related to Sony at all, they just prefer Sony over other publishers and consoles because of the strong ties they have had with them in the past. Sony gives them the DevKits first alot of the times and even shares information on engines and development. Naughty Dog and Insomiac often share alot of information...

msxyz
01-18-07, 02:12 PM
I 'm going to apply for a job as chairman at Sony :lol:

I think I can do a better job at throwing bullsh... ehm at promoting products ;)

Bad_Boy
01-18-07, 02:26 PM
Just admit it Bad_Boy, you have a bald-man fetish. :D
All jokes aside, it's more along the lines of, I'd rather listen to someone who knows what they are talking about. :p

Actually its completly 3rd Party. Insomiac is not related to Sony at all, they just prefer Sony over other publishers and consoles because of the strong ties they have had with them in the past. Sony gives them the DevKits first alot of the times and even shares information on engines and development. Naughty Dog and Insomiac often share alot of information...This is true, but I would put them more along the lines as "2nd party" because even though they are not run by Sony, their games are pretty much published by Sony. Not to mention the support Sony gives Insomniac over other 3rd party developers, Q&A testing and dedicated servers for example.

tornadog
01-18-07, 03:26 PM
Howard Stringer and the rest of Sony's head honchos should just STFU when it comes to technical figures or details. Mr. Stringer is clueless when it comes to anything related to the PS3's abilities. What does bandwidth have to do with the PS3? Is the PS3 now a DSL modem or something??

That actually made me laugh, even though u r wrong in ur assessment!!!!

Marvel_us
01-18-07, 04:12 PM

Well Motorstorm could still be a launch title.....for the UK.:p

I'm assuming the man has a ton to deal with and he didn't get the job because he knows about the game division. Then again these interviews are scheduled so you'd think he'd do some homework before hand.

toxikneedle
01-18-07, 04:26 PM
Well Motorstorm could still be a launch title.....for the UK.:p

I'm assuming the man has a ton to deal with and he didn't get the job because he knows about the game division. Then again these interviews are scheduled so you'd think he'd do some homework before hand.
Well the one that made me scratch my head was from Gamespot. It was a video interview and it was for the PS3 US launch. They asked him "For those not sure if they want to buy a PS3, convince em using only 1 word" and his reply was Motorstorm. First off, I played Motorstorm, and IMO it's fun but not worth buying a $600 system over. I don't think any racing game is worth buying a system over, unless it's like a GT type game, in which case I don't consider it racing... more like a driving sim. I can see how Harrison could have personal ties to Motorstorm, but I still think you should be making people buy your system now and not wait til a killer app is out. Look at Halo 3, MS is doing tons of promos that involve them promoting the game to 360 owners (such as the early beta), to make sure all the Halo fans make the switch to the 360.

Marvel_us
01-18-07, 04:32 PM
Well the one that made me scratch my head was from Gamespot. It was a video interview and it was for the PS3 US launch. They asked him "For those not sure if they want to buy a PS3, convince em using only 1 word" and his reply was Motorstorm. First off, I played Motorstorm, and IMO it's fun but not worth buying a $600 system over. I don't think any racing game is worth buying a system over, unless it's like a GT type game, in which case I don't consider it racing... more like a driving sim. I can see how Harrison could have personal ties to Motorstorm, but I still think you should be making people buy your system now and not wait til a killer app is out. Look at Halo 3, MS is doing tons of promos that involve them promoting the game to 360 owners (such as the early beta), to make sure all the Halo fans make the switch to the 360.

Lol, I didn't see that one.

I agree MS is doing a WAY better job than Sony in terms of marketing the system and games. Sony needs some promos, more demos etc. Hell throw the Heavenly Sword Arena demo online or something. Halo 3 still has a lot of time before release and I've already seen commercials, promos and adds.

Resistance is old news.....time to move on Sony!

Bad_Boy
01-18-07, 06:51 PM
Wow, talk about taking a small comment and running with it. I think you are seriously making too big of a deal out of it. Watch the video again.

The exact question was "if you could tell anybody looking forward to the ps3, one thing they can be very excited about what would it be?" and he said motorstorm, is that really a big deal?

ENU291
01-18-07, 07:01 PM
Wow, talk about taking a small comment and running with it. I think you are seriously making too big of a deal out of it. Watch the video again.

The exact question was "if you could tell anybody looking forward to the ps3, one thing they can be very excited about what would it be?" and he said motorstorm, is that really a big deal?
Hmmm... he could have said Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo etc etc but I see your point. They put him on the spot and I guess Motorstorm was the first thing that popped in his head. Not a big deal really.

Bad_Boy
01-18-07, 07:08 PM
Hmmm... he could have said Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo etc etc but I see your point. They put him on the spot and I guess Motorstorm was the first thing that popped in his head. Not a big deal really.
Exactly.