PDA

View Full Version : Best Rig Competition Feedback Thread

Pages : [1] 2

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 11:16 AM
:) Well back in the day when I came up with the idea, I was hoping we could establish a Best Rig Competition that could happen annually or semi-annually here at nVNews. Meaning when the 8900's come out maybe we could do this again or perhaps we should do this only once a year (G90).

One thing is for certain I believe the Best Rig Thread has generated quite a buzz surrounding our site and the new G80 launch. It has also brought new members to our forums. In many ways I feel that the community has grown here at nVNews.

Also I would just like to mention my appreciation to MikeC for picking up the slack after I was not able to supply the prize anymore. Selling my rig was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. So again thanks MikeC and thanks to everyone who purchased my rig components.:naughty: Also thanks to everyone for the support and kind words.;)

So anyway...what did you think of the competition? There were some pretty fetchin' sweet rigs IMO!! Any changes you would like to see? How often should we do this? Should we do it again? Share your thoughts.:D

:tiki:

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 11:23 AM
Thanks again Tiki for this great idea.
I would really appreciate an annual competition like this.

Thanks man.:D

buffbiff21
01-18-07, 11:37 AM
I totally enjoyed it, but man I wish I had more time! I really just started reconstruction of my rig.

I thought the deadline was the 1st of Febuary.

but oh well...

next time! (lee63)

EDIT: oh yea, we should totally make it semi annually or sumthin. :D

Like one competition every major GPU release? a la 8900 or sumthin

ONER
01-18-07, 11:57 AM
I think it's a great thing you guys have that competition going on here on your community. I'm pretty new here, so maybe next year I'll enter the competition.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-18-07, 12:07 PM
I've enjoyed it.. hopefully we can have something similar next year:D

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 12:25 PM
Should we try to do this again for the release of the 8900's?

buffbiff21
01-18-07, 12:44 PM
Should we try to do this again for the release of the 8900's?

Definitely!

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 02:10 PM
This thread needs a sticky.;)

Lazaredz
01-18-07, 02:29 PM
It was pretty cool Tiki. Couple of suggestions though:

A) Only once a year or MAJOR hardware releases. Otherwise it looses its "specialness". I think when the G90 or is/when AMD comes out with a SLAMMIN new CPU would be the right time for the next one.

B) Better defined rules & deadline. I know it was the first contest we've had like this here and it got kinda fumbled with your departure. Perhaps having a "end of entries" date and then a "judgeing date" 2 weeks later. That gives DEFINATE times and allows for last minute fixes/photos.

C) Perhaps further classes (not too many). Like "Best Case Artwork" or "Best Good Idea Gone Horribly Wrong" or "Under age 16" or maybe even "weight" classes.

Just a few thoughts. All and all it was fun and more importantly brought our community together. Kudos boy-o!!!

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 02:35 PM
It was pretty cool Tiki. Couple of suggestions though:

A) Only once a year or MAJOR hardware releases. Otherwise it looses its "specialness". I think when the G90 or is/when AMD comes out with a SLAMMIN new CPU would be the right time for the next one.

B) Better defined rules & deadline. I know it was the first contest we've had like this here and it got kinda fumbled with your departure. Perhaps having a "end of entries" date and then a "judgeing date" 2 weeks later. That gives DEFINATE times and allows for last minute fixes/photos.

C) Perhaps further classes (not too many). Like "Best Case Artwork" or "Best Good Idea Gone Horribly Wrong" or "Under age 16" or maybe even "weight" classes.

Just a few thoughts. All and all it was fun and more importantly brought our community together. Kudos boy-o!!!

These are great suggestions and it would be good to implement them. After thinking about I would have to agree with you on the annual thing. It would give everyone who wants to compete more time.

Maybe someday if this competition gets noticed we could get sponsered. Then the prizes could be even better. I must admit though that $200 from MikeC is pretty fetchin' good.:D

HEY NEWEGG WE NEED A BEST G90 RIG COMPETITION SPONSER!!!
(nana2)

:rofl For some reason I don't think I got their attention.

RussianHAXOR
01-18-07, 04:35 PM
I would like for it to be a little more spread out or more specific. Not just watercooling. Maybe one... The neatest setup, the most powerful setup, the best overclock, the mod champ, etc....

da0s
01-18-07, 05:08 PM
I would like for it to be a little more spread out or more specific. Not just watercooling. Maybe one... The neatest setup, the most powerful setup, the best overclock, the mod champ, etc....
ditto

Roadhog
01-18-07, 06:41 PM
I think its came down to who has the most money, and who has the most fame here wins... Thats at least how the results are going now.

ViN86
01-18-07, 06:56 PM
i enjoyed it. love seein other ppl's rigs.

nice work tiki :D

I think its came down to who has the most money, and who has the most fame here wins... Thats at least how the results are going now.
of course that happens. more money = better parts = higher performance. and everyone knows popularity is taken into effect when voting. thats just human nature.

the only way to do it blindly is to have contestants post two pics of their rigs and their benchmarks/specs. then vote on a number and not on the username. granted, that is more work.

either way, good job Tiki and i hope to see another when the 8900 comes out. :thumbsup:

Xion X2
01-18-07, 07:31 PM
I think you should consider leaving the next competition open to other cards besides the GeForce 8900 or whatever. The reason is that many of us will make changes to our rigs between now and the release of the new card. Many of us will probably go SLI (like I have recently, but not in time to post pics) with our 8800 cards instead of laying the cash down on the 8900GTX. That's one of the reasons I bought my 2nd card; I wanted this build to last me through next gen. The way it is now, there will be a lot of nice SLI builds that won't be able to participate.

I know that the competition can't be open to just anybody because there are thousands of members on the site. But maybe just those with a certain 3dMark score and up could enter or something like that. That could be their qualifying ticket, like the post count was this round. They could benchmark and post a screenshot. You could specify a certain performance level that the system would have to be at to enter.

Or if that doesn't work, maybe you could keep it open to all 8-series cards, instead of just the 8900 series. I just think there will be a lot of nice systems with 8-series cards that wouldn't be able to participate.

Spartan 117
01-18-07, 07:43 PM
I enjoyed it, but it sux I did not ever update my pics, those were pics of my AMD rig, but they were all nice rigs :)

and not to mention the hard work to get them like that :)

grey_1
01-18-07, 08:34 PM
I loved it. I don't have an 8800 yet...but I sure loved seeing the rigs.

jAkUp
01-18-07, 10:30 PM
It was great!!! :D I would like to see it on every GPU launch :)

RussianHAXOR
01-18-07, 10:36 PM
Yea, its a good way for GPU awareness...

GPU awareness... all gamers should know about the newest GPUs or else.... they could be... OUTDATED!:afraid:

jAkUp
01-18-07, 10:38 PM
If they post at nvnews.net then they know about the latest and greatest GPU's :p

RussianHAXOR
01-18-07, 10:43 PM
ehhhh not so much. Alot of ppl ask alot of questions that arent well... very learned in tech. But i know ur just suckin up to MikeC.

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 11:00 PM
I think you should consider leaving the next competition open to other cards besides the GeForce 8900 or whatever. The reason is that many of us will make changes to our rigs between now and the release of the new card. Many of us will probably go SLI (like I have recently, but not in time to post pics) with our 8800 cards instead of laying the cash down on the 8900GTX. That's one of the reasons I bought my 2nd card; I wanted this build to last me through next gen. The way it is now, there will be a lot of nice SLI builds that won't be able to participate.

I know that the competition can't be open to just anybody because there are thousands of members on the site. But maybe just those with a certain 3dMark score and up could enter or something like that. That could be their qualifying ticket, like the post count was this round. They could benchmark and post a screenshot. You could specify a certain performance level that the system would have to be at to enter.

Or if that doesn't work, maybe you could keep it open to all 8-series cards, instead of just the 8900 series. I just think there will be a lot of nice systems with 8-series cards that wouldn't be able to participate.

Now that's a thought. What does everyone think about that? I just want MikeC to know that this is his competition though and he can create future rules. It is his site you know.:D

Perhaps the 3DMARK score could be the qualifier for semi-annual events and the new card (G90 when it's released) could be the qualifier for the annual event.:)

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 11:04 PM

I think your rig rocks man.:D

TiKiMaN1
01-18-07, 11:46 PM
i enjoyed it. love seein other ppl's rigs.

nice work tiki :D

Thanks man.:D

vandalous
01-19-07, 01:00 AM

There was air cooling, water cooling, and best overall.

Good idea on getting it going, Tiki. I noticed that you keep changing your title. I take it no new rig with the tax return anymore?