K here is the problem..

Just bought 2 BFG 8800GTS and 24" gateway monitor, When I put one GTS in

the system, everything runs fine, all my games work with everything max at

the highest resolutions, So when I installed the second GTS, the system

boots up, I get a prompt, then the windows splash screen, but when I get to

the login screen I see it for about 10 seconds and then the screen go's

black.. :-| . I'm running these things on a 600W OCZ SLI powersupply but

the recommended on nvidia's website is a 700w. So to confirm my

suspicions... Is it most likely the power supply? The motherboard is a Asus A8N32 SLi-Delux

Any help would be appreciated..! :D

Xion X2
01-19-07, 01:00 AM
It could be the power supply, but if I were you I'd take one card out and reinstall my sound and video drivers first. Make sure they're up to date. You may also want to try a Windows repair and see if that helps (you'll have to reinstall your updates if you do this, however).

TonyM16
01-19-07, 04:13 AM
K here is the problem..

Just bought 2 BFG 8800GTS and 24" gateway monitor, When I put one GTS in

the system, everything runs fine, all my games work with everything max at

the highest resolutions, So when I installed the second GTS, the system

boots up, I get a prompt, then the windows splash screen, but when I get to

the login screen I see it for about 10 seconds and then the screen go's

black.. :-| . I'm running these things on a 600W OCZ SLI powersupply but

the recommended on nvidia's website is a 700w. So to confirm my

suspicions... Is it most likely the power supply? The motherboard is a Asus A8N32 SLi-Delux

Any help would be appreciated..! :D

Thats supposed to happen, I am suprised noone noticed that before. It's all to do with irqs and memory adressing , and it usually only happens on the first boot of the day, if you restart after running for a while the blank screen won't be there for as long. It happens with X1900 crossfire aswell, except in a sightly different way. Nothing to worry about, as long as windows comes up after those 10 seconds. Also when you choose sli from the driver be prepared for the same thing again. The screen will go black and all you will see is a small white line in the top corner flashing. Go have fun now, and relex :afro2:

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood what you are saying, please let me know if I did. Are you able to get to windows? And what did that prompt say?

licker
01-19-07, 09:24 AM
Thats supposed to happen, I am suprised noone noticed that before. It's all to do with irqs and memory adressing , and it usually only happens on the first boot of the day, if you restart after running for a while the blank screen won't be there for as long. It happens with X1900 crossfire aswell, except in a sightly different way. Nothing to worry about, as long as windows comes up after those 10 seconds. Also when you choose sli from the driver be prepared for the same thing again. The screen will go black and all you will see is a small white line in the top corner flashing. Go have fun now, and relex :afro2:

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood what you are saying, please let me know if I did. Are you able to get to windows? And what did that prompt say?

Ok for the first reply...My drivers should be up to date I downloaded the latest from the nvidia website and with one card in the system, everything is fine except for when you put 2 cards in..

Second Reply. After the screen go's blank I really have no way of logging into my system because of the login screen, The screen go's black after about 10 seconds of being at the login screen. Should I just wait awhile for it to come back? Powersupply? Or is there something Im not doing correctly.

Also does anyone know if those Bay powersupplys (Think they are called X3booster or something like that) would power one 8800GTS?

OWA
01-19-07, 09:52 AM
Not sure it'll help but you may want to try the 97.92 drivers. You can find links here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83652

Can you get to the desktop if you boot into safemode (with 2 cards in the system)?

BTW, I tried using a lower than recommended power supply initially (an OCZ 700W PSU for 8800GTX SLI) and what it did to me was shut the system down when running benchmarks. I could boot into XP just fine but on the 2nd benchmark in 3DMark06, the system would just turn off.

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-19-07, 11:13 AM
i have two GTX' on an asus a8n32sli and a 3200@2.6
two raptors and a seagate plus one dvdwriter ,

it works flawless on a thermaltake toughpower 700watts
i even have the two cards oc'ed to 650/2000 , no probs at all in benchmarks ;)

you have overloaded a rail perhaps ?

i divided the power for the cards over two rails

asphalt
01-19-07, 12:46 PM
Also, just making sure, but have you also pluged one of the 4pin molex connectors directly on the motherboard? This is required to run SLI stable.

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-19-07, 12:48 PM
i havnt done that work flawless without it

Xion X2
01-19-07, 12:50 PM
Oh, my bad.. I thought he was saying his entire system shut down when his "screen went black."

But I've had mine go black when SLI was activating or something, but just for like a second or two. I don't know what it could be doing with yours.

licker
01-19-07, 02:16 PM
Also, just making sure, but have you also pluged one of the 4pin molex connectors directly on the motherboard? This is required to run SLI stable.

lol I havent done this yet, Going to try it right now!

licker
01-19-07, 03:02 PM
So quick question, I just tried the forceware drivers that someone above recommended I try but I got a blue screen so I'm downloading the ones from nvidia.

But here is my question, When I add the second card do I need to Run a driver cleaner then try to re-install the driver? Or do I just add the second one and its supposed to show up?

Xion X2
01-19-07, 03:09 PM
But here is my question, When I add the second card do I need to Run a driver cleaner then try to re-install the driver? Or do I just add the second one and its supposed to show up?

The driver will pick up the 2nd card. You'll get a message on your screen at the bottom right asking you to activate SLI. Just go into the control panel, click on 3d settings, and then under the performance tab you should see "Set SLI configuration."

licker
01-19-07, 03:54 PM
First off I want to thank everyone for their help, but still I'm running into some problems...

K so now when I went back to the old drivers (ran the driver cleaner etc) with a single card, everything works fine, but now when I add the second card, the computer freezes at the windows boot screen but when I run windows in safe mode I can get into the OS just fine. Any Ideas?

licker
01-19-07, 04:30 PM
Just tested the second card by itself to see if everything was ok and suprise suprise :thumbdwn: It's broke! got all kinds of weird lines across my screen at post and then when it went to the boot screen the box give me a blue screen, So I guess its back to frys to return that one for another!