PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 8800 GTX Black Pearl!!!

Pages : [1] 2

TiKiMaN1
01-19-07, 09:54 AM
http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=37075

http://imageigloo.com/images/5942blackp80.jpg

Sweet! Maybe I will get this card when I start building again very soon. Or maybe the ACS3.

ViN86
01-19-07, 09:58 AM
that thing's hawt :D

TiKiMaN1
01-19-07, 10:03 AM
that thing's hawt :D

(nana2) Yep it certainly is.

:thumbsup: To our resident EVGA Graphics Card Product Manager.:)

TiKiMaN1
01-19-07, 10:21 AM
Looks sweet but no more watercooled graphic cards for me...

Did you have a bad experience?

CaptNKILL
01-19-07, 10:28 AM
Woa, it looks sickly because its all slim... I think its malnourished. :p

LORD-eX-Bu
01-19-07, 10:38 AM
oh man I might have to get that:lol:

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-19-07, 10:47 AM
most aircooled card's can do the same speeds but without the water setup hassle

i just got two 8800gtx' aircooled , they do 650/2000 easely

JoKeRr
01-19-07, 11:04 AM
is that water block aluminum??

asphalt
01-19-07, 12:39 PM
Very nice! Makes me want to switch to full water cooling :)

SH0DAN
01-19-07, 12:46 PM
http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=37075

Sweet! Maybe I will get this card when I start building again very soon. Or maybe the ACS3.

If you are going to rebuild soon,would it not be a great idea,and save you cash in the long run to keep the PC Power & Cooling power supply ? :)
On topic...Yet another card that wont be available for Step Up ..... :(

TiKiMaN1
01-19-07, 12:56 PM
If you are going to rebuild soon,would it not be a great idea,and save you cash in the long run to keep the PC Power & Cooling power supply ? :)
On topic...Yet another card that wont be available for Step Up ..... :(

The only reason is because I have a credit card I need to pay off and then when my tax return comes it will be back to happy time.

Xion X2
01-19-07, 02:09 PM

She's a beaut. :)

I wonder how good that block cools compared to the BFG, though. The BFG is copper underneath the Delrin on top.

Or is that painted?

Roadhog
01-19-07, 02:17 PM

She's a beaut. :)

I wonder how good that block cools compared to the BFG, though. The BFG is copper underneath the Delrin on top.

Or is that painted?

looks like anodized aluminum.

XP_GUN
01-19-07, 02:21 PM
wow thats really nice. To bad I went away from watercooling

Xion X2
01-19-07, 02:42 PM
looks like anodized aluminum.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. That wouldn't be as effective as copper, would it?

Roadhog
01-19-07, 02:46 PM
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. That wouldn't be as effective as copper, would it?

shouldn't matter much on the back side, because its not really giving off heat or absorbing it. But aluminum is never as effective as copper.

Xion X2
01-19-07, 03:00 PM
shouldn't matter much on the back side, because its not really giving off heat or absorbing it. But aluminum is never as effective as copper.

Doesn't the water touch the backside, though?

buffbiff21
01-19-07, 03:14 PM
how come the card still takes up 2 pci slots?

I mean, im not exactly starving for PCI slots, but it would be nce to actually be able to use an XFI, SLI, and a TV tuner at the same time... :(

Roadhog
01-19-07, 03:16 PM
Doesn't the water touch the backside, though?

yeah, but its not like the backside has fins or anything on it to dissipate heat. I can't imagine a derlin back working any better. :P

Xion X2
01-19-07, 03:33 PM
yeah, but its not like the backside has fins or anything on it to dissipate heat.

True, but it still seems like copper would stay a bit cooler than aluminum. And since that piece comes in direct contact w/ the water, you'd think it wouldn't be as effective unless it's a superior in-block design.

Which it could be. Sure looks nice, tho. I like the black/silver.

Hmm.. I also noticed it takes up two PCI. My BFG isn't like that; it just takes up a single slot.

HeavyH20
01-19-07, 03:55 PM
I have used these blocks for a few years. The GPU core is copper, but it is nickel plated so that you do no get the interaction between copper and aluminum with the coolant. The rest of the block is made from a high grade aluminum.

As for heat dissipation, copper absorbs heat very well and aluminum dissipates it better. So, the copper core pulls the heat away and the water channel effectively cools via the aluminum channels.

As for the DD blocks, I found these blocks are a little better machined. Can't speak to the new DD blocks, but compared to the old ones, the Innovateks are much cleaner. And, from hands on with both, the Innovatek blocks had more even clamping pressure and consequently cooled a little better.

vandalous
01-19-07, 04:10 PM
how come the card still takes up 2 pci slots?

I mean, im not exactly starving for PCI slots, but it would be nce to actually be able to use an XFI, SLI, and a TV tuner at the same time... :(

I was gonna ask the same thing. The BFG Watercooled version is a single slot solution (IIRC) so why isn't the EVGA one the same way? I can't tell from the pics if there's something jutting out that forces a dual-slot or if it's just some spec laziness. ;)

A101Sugar
01-19-07, 05:10 PM
I was gonna ask the same thing. The BFG Watercooled version is a single slot solution (IIRC) so why isn't the EVGA one the same way? I can't tell from the pics if there's something jutting out that forces a dual-slot or if it's just some spec laziness. ;)

I agree. Why would this singleslot card take up 2 slots?? you don't need the airflow through the one side since its the watercooled verion :/

other than that, a super nice looking card :)

Spartan 117
01-20-07, 12:21 AM
nice, but im fine with the ones I have :)

and anyone notice its named after the ship in Pirates of the Carribean???

RussianHAXOR
01-20-07, 01:23 AM
aluminum= lighter than copper! So you wont add 10LBs to your PC weights.