PDA

View Full Version : What Crack-head thought up Javas version numbers?

DaveW
01-19-07, 11:17 AM
We had Java 1.0, then Java 1.1, okay so far... Then we get Java 1.2, but they also started to call it "Java 2". Then we get Java 1.3 which is also called "Java 2" and 1.4 which is also called "Java 2". Then we get 1.5, but then Sun decides to refer to it as "Java 5", and now "Java 6". However internally everything is still "1.5" and "1.6" for some compatibility reason.

Who has been smoking the wacky weed?

superklye
01-19-07, 04:50 PM
Java sucks.

Q
01-19-07, 05:46 PM
Java sucks.

Oh yes. Yes it does.

retsam
01-20-07, 09:54 AM
What Crack-head thought up Javas version numbers? the very same crack heads that thought up java itself...

superklye
01-20-07, 12:57 PM
I'll take C# over Java any day.

Bman212121
01-20-07, 03:42 PM
Oh yes. Yes it does.

+1

Banko
01-20-07, 11:56 PM
Depends on how multi-platform you want it to be.

However C# applications do run faster on Windows then Java, so Java 1.6 is a great speed improvement in my opinion.

I also like Java's Documentation better, and I think it is slightly cleaner.

Tuork
01-25-07, 11:27 PM

I'll take IA32 assembly language over Java any day.

:headexplode:

Maybe not...

rhink
01-25-07, 11:44 PM
Depends on how multi-platform you want it to be.

However C# applications do run faster on Windows then Java, so Java 1.6 is a great speed improvement in my opinion.

I also like Java's Documentation better, and I think it is slightly cleaner.

Java's performance really ain't that bad anymore, especially once you tweak your jvm to get the garbage collector under some semblance of control.

C# ties you to windows and microsoft development tools.

walterman
09-03-08, 06:53 AM
Well, this helps to run .NET on Linux:

http://www.mono-project.com/

You can run .NET CF on Windows Mobile devices too.

Java has its place too, but, .NET is very comfortable for the programmer. :)

ViN86
09-03-08, 07:09 AM
LOL

i just deleted a post in here. some guy was searching for the term "crackhead" so he could advertise his treatment site. that's hilarious :lol:

tweaked
09-03-08, 02:06 PM
Did someone call for a crackhead?

lunix
09-05-08, 09:20 AM
Oh the dev team made the version numbers but it was the marketroids who made them into names for releases. Actually when they started into that soup it was all the rage with a number of projects.

EciDemon
09-09-08, 04:49 AM
Nvidia comes to mind when I read this...
:bleh:

Zhivago
02-08-09, 02:40 PM
Java's performance really ain't that bad anymore, especially once you tweak your jvm to get the garbage collector under some semblance of control.

C# ties you to windows and microsoft development tools.

Java exists solely as a specification - a document.
Thus, it makes little sense to claim it has any notion of speed/performance.

Perhaps you refer to some particular implementation of Java?

Of interest, the JLS does not require Java to be compiled to bytecode, just as the standards for "faster" languages such as C or C++ are not required to compile to native code. That is, C or C++ can be considered interpreted languages, if the implementation so desires.

Tuork
02-08-09, 03:23 PM
Holy thread-revivals, batman!

Runningman
02-08-09, 06:08 PM
LOL

i just deleted a post in here. some guy was searching for the term "crackhead" so he could advertise his treatment site. that's hilarious :lol:
and yet you still let Zhivago in to post :headexplode:!?!

Dreamweavernoob
02-13-09, 06:39 PM
Why.............won't.........it..............DIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!!

sytaylor
02-19-09, 07:49 AM
GOD I HATE Java.

Why can't they have one complete developer package. I don't care if its not fully feature rich, or if it's a bit bloated. One download please, not 15 on the same page with slightly different names and terrible descriptions.

Why do I need a JDK, a JRE, EE, FX, and christ knows how many other bits... and then when I've installed it all properly, why won't javac work? It's registered, its installed (6 times now in fact). But you know, still can't find the compiler.

Damn linux types, everything must be more portable than everything else, which means 15,000 versions with indecipherable names is the only way forward. Even the syntax annoys me. littletext.CaptialisedText

No! **** it, Im downloading visual studio.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-28-09, 06:35 PM
When my roomate was trying to install a java compiler (i think it was called JGRAPH), I discovered you have to install the different java crap in a certain order for it to work. And of course you have to double check your PATH statement.

Its retarded.

Imbroglio
04-04-09, 09:34 PM
When my roomate was trying to install a java compiler (i think it was called JGRAPH), I discovered you have to install the different java crap in a certain order for it to work. And of course you have to double check your PATH statement.

Its retarded.

I'm sorry, this post made me laugh out loud.

if by "crap" you mean the libraries, then yes. that is pretty standard.

as for setting your environmental variable for the correct path, again, standard.

General Lee
04-06-09, 06:49 AM

Its retarded.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it stupid. Take women for example, no man understands them, but that doesn't...oh, wait. Nevermind...analogyFAIL.

Zhivago
04-07-09, 12:19 AM
GOD I HATE Java.
Why do I need a JDK, a JRE, EE, FX, and christ knows how many other bits... and then when I've installed it all properly, why won't javac work? It's registered, its installed (6 times now in fact). But you know, still can't find the compiler.

I never had any problems installing any version of the JDK.
The JDK should include the JRE, and you can either get the JDK for EE (enterprise) or SE (standard?). Once you learn the alphabet soup it isn't bad.