PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Dual boot gone wrong!!

syntaxerror
01-19-07, 06:21 PM
Alright, here's the deal: I have a 500 GB SATA drive that I was going to dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake). When I first got the drive, it had data on it, so I used the Linux System Rescue CD and deleted its partition with GParted. Then I made 4 new partitions: 1 ntfs with 400 GB, 1 fat32 for sharing with 28 gb, 1 ext3 for ubuntu with 35.76 gb, and 1 linux-swap with 2 GB. The first time I installed, I put in the Windows XP CD and installed Windows XP onto the ntfs partition, even doing the regular (not quick) format inside the setup. Windows XP setup perfectly fine. Then I restarted and installed Ubuntu onto the ext3 partition and it also went fine -- I pointed it to the swap and its ext3 partition. There weren't many options to pick in the course of the setup, as opposed to the many tutorials I'd seen, but it went fine and I could boot into Windows XP or Ubuntu with the Grub boot loader. Then I went into Ubuntu and did a bunch of different commands I found on a website to install grub to the linux partition, then copied it to the fat32 partition, then copied it (from within windows) to the ntfs partition in the C drive, and edited the boot.ini file so it could load ubuntu (through grub). Then I saved and rebooted and everything worked perfectly.

But there was one problem: for some reason it said I had to activate windows, so I went into it and my number didn't work. So I went and got another (legitimate) copy of windows that I have and realized that I had to format that one partition. So I went into the system rescue cd into gparted and deleted the partition and made a new ntfs partition, but it still said it had like 75 MB of used space. I ignored it and rebooted into the Windows XP setup. It detected only one partition, saying it was something like 131 GB (which I have no idea where that number came from). So I assumed that everything was still installed on the computer. So I went back into gparted and deleted all partitions and made 4 new ones, booted into xp setup, with the same result as before. Then at one point I even tried just deleting all the partitions and letting xp set up its own partition from the unpartitioned space but it only said 131 GB existed. So I found a program online called Killdisk and made a bootable disk to low-level format the hard drive. This took several hours, but it eventually finished. Then I booted into Windows XP setup and the 456 GB were all there, as they should be.

I installed Windows XP and then after finalizing installation and all, it went to the Windows XP loading screen and came up with a blue screen saying "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I've tried and tried and tried and can't get it to boot into Windows. chkdsk /r says the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable errors and won't even start doing anything. I've tried fixboot and fixmbr with no success. Can anybody please help???

syntaxerror
01-19-07, 11:14 PM
Update: I managed to install Ubuntu 6.06 to the unpartitioned space after the ntfs partition without much of a problem. That works fine. Initially it didn't, but I had to go into the BIOS and do the "choose optimized settings" thing and it allowed me into the GRUB bootloader. The option for "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" is there, but when I choose it, it starts to load Windows and then does that message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_PARTITION again. Ugh.

In a related note, I have a question about my BIOS settings. I'm using a SATA drive, and in my first installation (see first post) when everything worked, the BIOS had my SATA drive for some reason as an IDE drive (I think as IDE extended). In the subsequent trials, to try to fix it, I changed it in the BIOS to turn RAID on and enabled SATA 1, and so when it booted up it offered the option to go into the RAID setup, where I could choose from mirroring or striping. Can anyone guide me as to what to do with my BIOS for my SATA drive. It's my first SATA drive. My motherboard is here http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=GeForce%206100-M9.

Also, before I even put in my new hard drive, all the system diagnostic utilities I used said my memory was running at 166 MHz, and it's PC3200, so I'm thinking that it should be faster than that, though I'm not sure how much faster. Any ideas?

If anybody can please offer me some help with all of these problems (especially the booting problem) as soon as possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

SlieTheSecond
01-20-07, 12:09 AM
I am not sure about the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_PARTITION as you seem to have tried everything on the Microsoft database about that error.

But that ram is running slower than it should be. Not by much tho. PC3200 = 400mhz. But its DDR. Depending how your bios is setup to display the speed. It's either running at 166mhz or 333. Because its ddr. It doesn't actually run at 400mhz. It runs at 200mhz multiplied by 2 to give you 400mhz. If your bios is showing it that way, then 166mhz x 2 gives you 332 (333mhz).

I am assuming that is how your bios is working tho. Ram speed x 2.
But I could be wrong.

Bman212121
01-20-07, 01:52 AM
Update: I managed to install Ubuntu 6.06 to the unpartitioned space after the ntfs partition without much of a problem. That works fine. Initially it didn't, but I had to go into the BIOS and do the "choose optimized settings" thing and it allowed me into the GRUB bootloader. The option for "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" is there, but when I choose it, it starts to load Windows and then does that message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_PARTITION again. Ugh.

In a related note, I have a question about my BIOS settings. I'm using a SATA drive, and in my first installation (see first post) when everything worked, the BIOS had my SATA drive for some reason as an IDE drive (I think as IDE extended). In the subsequent trials, to try to fix it, I changed it in the BIOS to turn RAID on and enabled SATA 1, and so when it booted up it offered the option to go into the RAID setup, where I could choose from mirroring or striping. Can anyone guide me as to what to do with my BIOS for my SATA drive. It's my first SATA drive. My motherboard is here http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=GeForce%206100-M9.

Also, before I even put in my new hard drive, all the system diagnostic utilities I used said my memory was running at 166 MHz, and it's PC3200, so I'm thinking that it should be faster than that, though I'm not sure how much faster. Any ideas?

If anybody can please offer me some help with all of these problems (especially the booting problem) as soon as possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't even know where to start. My suggestion is to wipe it all and start over. I know it's not the best advice, but when your start changing partitons, you can start messing stuff up really quick. I wouldn't use anything linux to try to make an NTFS partition either, that's a bad idea. My suggestion is get two drives, hands down. If you can't do that, then I would create your Fat32 partition as the first drive partiton, then put your windows into the 2nd drive partiton with NTFS. This will put the windows boot files onto the Fat32 partition, and should help make it easier to get both windows and ubtuntu on there. Then you can load up ubtunu with the ext3 first, and the swap file to finish off the disk. Make sure you put the bootloader into the MBR, and everything *should* work.

As for the ram, it all depends on what your hardware is, and what settings you have. My old board would pick my ram up and set it at 2700 (166) automatically, so I just needed to change the memory divider so it set it to 3200 (400).