PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX - Serious Sam/Quake 3

GitDat
01-20-07, 12:21 AM
Anyone else have problems running the first Serious Sam & Quake 3 on an 8800 series card? I get stuttering in Quake 3 and like major slow-mo on Serious Sam :(

Is it maybe some setting I changed that may effect just those type of games? *shrug*

ONER
01-20-07, 08:33 AM
Well I just installed Quake 3 yesterday and it ran like a charm on my 8800GTX, no problem. It would help if you would provide your system specs. It Could be many different factors.

therapture
01-20-07, 11:19 AM
Just for grins, try setting affinity on the q3a.exe to a single core, that should fix your problem. Now, you have to find out why that is occuring, for me, Q3A would not run right with the 97.44 driver unless I set affinity to one core only, but with the 97.92 driver, I did not have to set affinity at all.

GitDat
01-20-07, 12:05 PM
Just for grins, try setting affinity on the q3a.exe to a single core, that should fix your problem. Now, you have to find out why that is occuring, for me, Q3A would not run right with the 97.44 driver unless I set affinity to one core only, but with the 97.92 driver, I did not have to set affinity at all.

That was it! I was confused because I knew I had run these games before without messing with the affinity. So the different driver versions affected it somehow.. strange. :cool: Thanks for the tip!

ONER
01-20-07, 12:27 PM
Exactly, what is it that you are doing when you say 'try setting affinity on the q3a.exe to a single core'. How do you do that?

therapture
01-21-07, 01:13 AM
Exactly, what is it that you are doing when you say 'try setting affinity on the q3a.exe to a single core'. How do you do that?

After you launch a game....it loads, then you hit ctrl+alt+dlt which pulls up Task Manager and minimizes the game. Then you go into your "processes" tab, find and right click the executable (q3a.exe or whatever), then select "set affinity". A new little box opens and you will have two checkboxes, one for each core. Uncheck either one of them to force the app to run on a single core, then go back and click on the minimized game, bringing it back to focus. You can do this with many other apps as well if needed, sometimes good for testing cpu heat output or games to see which runs better.

ONER
01-21-07, 02:43 AM
Thanks alot bro. That was a helpful tip for duo cores.

GitDat
01-21-07, 07:54 AM
You can also use this Set Affinity program to do it automatically :beer:

http://s3.quicksharing.com/v/3500159/setaffinity.zip.html

Eltigre88
01-22-07, 04:42 AM
Sounds like the same issue I had with my 6800 ultra. I got the fix off this forum. Maybe it is the same issue. Good luck!