PDA

View Full Version : Advice to All Vista Users

Q
01-20-07, 12:28 PM
Disable UAC as soon as you can or you'll blow your brains out. :headexplode:

They desperately need to add an exception list for UAC. If they have one, its hidden deep in the registry because I searched through gpedit/secpol and Admin tools forever and couldn't find anything. I have several programs I use regularly, most importantly Winrar, that UAC wants to prompt me every time before they open. PLUS, it disables the alternate menus such as "Add to Archive" that you use when you right click icons. They work fine when you disable UAC.

Vista is a LOT more enjoyable with UAC off. I had probably close to 40-50 prompts using my computer yesterday. I understand its purpose, and hopefully it will help out the moron users, but its a pain in the ass for anyone with a brain.

LycosV
01-20-07, 12:56 PM
WinRAR isn't the problem, the latest version (3.62) of WinRAR is the problem. Go back one version and use 3.61 http://www.rarsoft.com/rar/wrar361.exe it totally eliminates the UAC prompts.

Q
01-20-07, 01:00 PM
WinRAR isn't the problem, the latest version (3.62) of WinRAR is the problem. Go back one version and use 3.61 http://www.rarsoft.com/rar/wrar361.exe it totally eliminates the UAC prompts.

Well, I'll be damned. Thanks for the advice.

jAkUp
01-20-07, 09:43 PM
You were actually using Vista with UAC enabled? UAC is so terrible I have no idea why they included it.

CrackatiCz
01-20-07, 10:25 PM
I literally almost kicked my cat because I was so pissed at that! THANK YOU!

Rakeesh
01-20-07, 10:29 PM
You were actually using Vista with UAC enabled? UAC is so terrible I have no idea why they included it.

It's actually a pretty good thing that will eventually make e.g. anti-virus software pretty much obsolete, or at least those "24/7 scan" things will be useless one day.

As soon as more software is written properly for vista (right now most software is meant for XP whereas its generally assumed that you have admin permissions with most software, which is more the vendors fault than microsofts) you'll only need to use UAC once when you install a program, apply patches/updates to these programs, or need to change any major system settings.

Another benefit is that this will force the software vendors to write their software correctly lest they receive hell from their customers in the form of tech support complaints. This also means that, instead of games keeping their configuration files and savegames in the same directory as the game, it can store it in your user directory. The same applies to applications and other whatnots. This makes it extremely easy to transfer this stuff to another computer, or to retain this stuff over a format without having to hunt down all of the files for each program you use; it's all in your user directory. And say you share the same computer with other people, a different person who logs in will have their own configuration settings, savegames, key bindings, etc.