PDA

View Full Version : what version of vista will you buy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
01-20-07, 01:59 PM
well... which one?

superklye
01-20-07, 02:08 PM
There are like 6 of these threads already, brah.

nekrosoft13
01-20-07, 02:12 PM
where?

i only seen 32 or 64 bit

Mr_LoL
01-20-07, 04:12 PM
I will be getting premium 32bit oem.

Subtestube
01-20-07, 04:18 PM
Probably Home Premium Upgrade.

crainger
01-20-07, 04:21 PM
Ultimate. Probably in 64 bit. Dual booting with 32bit XP.

Q
01-20-07, 04:24 PM
Ultimate. Probably in 64 bit. Dual booting with 32bit XP.

Only if you're a masochist. Unless you have a specific application that needs 4gb or more of memory, you'll have a slower running machine with limited drivers and buggier games. Trust me, I've tried it.

I'm running Ultimate 32 with modest success. A few major issues, but no show stoppers since the 8800 drivers were released.

top3koms
01-20-07, 04:28 PM
Ultimate retail here ,I want both the X86 and X64 versions to be included on the same disk.I will be dual booting with XP at first as well.

crainger
01-20-07, 04:33 PM
Only if you're a masochist. Unless you have a specific application that needs 4gb or more of memory, you'll have a slower running machine with limited drivers and buggier games. Trust me, I've tried it.

I'm running Ultimate 32 with modest success. A few major issues, but no show stoppers since the 8800 drivers were released.

Like a console??

Seriously though... I think you might be right. I'll see what everyone elses result are before I make the leap. Nothing like having a forum of beta testers :D

I love you guys.

nekrosoft13
01-20-07, 04:41 PM
i will get getting one ultimate and then 1 home premium, and business fo laptop

A101Sugar
01-20-07, 06:55 PM
I'm getting Vista Ultimate from my Retail Edge Bundle.... so I guess I paid for it :)

Redeemed
01-20-07, 08:32 PM
I'll go with Vista Ultimate (64 bit). I'm aware of the issues. That is why I'll also be dual-booting with XP 32bit. :D

We have the laptops at work setup up, most of which are running Vista Home Premium. God that's a sexy OS. I'm so stoked, I'm supposed to be throwing load but I can't get away from the computers! I keep wanting to tweak with them and just see what's up with Vista. I love all the different ways you can switch from one app to the next. As for anything 3D- the best laptop has a 6150 so I'm not sure yet what Vista offers on the 3D front. Any thing we put on the notebooks chugs (as far as a real-time 3D background).

It isn't much longer till the release. I'm probably gonna' buy a copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade as we'll only be selling it for about $250. Better than the $400 for the full version. :p

And last I heard, Vista will determine whether your rig is 64bit capable and install the appropriate version. That might have changed- I couldn't find anything on the MS website to indicate anything one way or the other.

grey_1
01-20-07, 08:39 PM
When I can do it, I'll be getting the home premium upgrade. 32bit, hopefully upgrading to ultimate within a year. I don't see any advantages to going with 64bit atm.

Rakeesh
01-20-07, 09:27 PM
I already have Ultimate, or at least intel is going to send me a copy of Ultimate. I'll probably install the 64-bit version on my speedy hard drive, and the 32-bit version on my slower hard drive.

I'm so stoked, I'm supposed to be throwing load

You work retail? God I hate doing that. Fortunately I've had a lot of computer tech service jobs to do lately so they've been making everybody else work on load. Whats worse is my store is a new store, so we are getting upwards of 18 pallets per week, and we only have 12 employees, where we should have somewhere around 30, and only 6 are there at any given time. Load after load after load, so pretty much everybody has to work on it, even the managers at times. Totally gay.

jAkUp
01-20-07, 09:31 PM
64bit for me.

I'm an early adopter ;) Plus I plan on upgrading to 4GB's soon.

Uberpwnage
01-20-07, 10:41 PM
I voted Ultimate. These do come with both 32 and 64-bit installations right?

Rakeesh
01-20-07, 10:45 PM
As far as I can tell, only the OEM versions don't come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

And speak of that, IMO what is ultimately going to make 64-bit adoption take hold is when OEM's themselves start installing 64-bit versions on the computers they sell. OEM built computers make up the bulk of all computers out there - people who build their own computers are quite a small minority.

Redeemed
01-20-07, 11:14 PM
You work retail? God I hate doing that. Fortunately I've had a lot of computer tech service jobs to do lately so they've been making everybody else work on load. Whats worse is my store is a new store, so we are getting upwards of 18 pallets per week, and we only have 12 employees, where we should have somewhere around 30, and only 6 are there at any given time. Load after load after load, so pretty much everybody has to work on it, even the managers at times. Totally gay.

Yes sir. And here our store is pretty much the same. We are supposed to have a load crew of 5 guys, but it is just me and one other dude. So, we can barely get a regular sized load (about 8 pallets) done in one night. But, being that we are short on sales associates, we have to throw load and help customers. So even when we get a normal sized load in- we don't get it done. :( I'm definitely pushing for a good pay raise come my one year review. :p

crainger
01-20-07, 11:21 PM
All this talk of throwing loads. :condom:

Redeemed
01-20-07, 11:32 PM
All this talk of throwing loads. :condom:

:naughty:

*Bearclaw's crainger* :p

crainger
01-20-07, 11:38 PM
Tastes like Salt and Vinegar chips.

Redeemed
01-20-07, 11:41 PM
Tastes like Salt and Vinegar chips.

:barf:

Wow. You win. :o

crainger
01-20-07, 11:52 PM
woot

CaptNKILL
01-21-07, 12:53 AM
I won't be "buying" the OS exactly, but through MS TechNet Plus Direct I'll be using Ultimate. :)

Rakeesh
01-21-07, 02:15 AM
Yes sir. And here our store is pretty much the same. We are supposed to have a load crew of 5 guys, but it is just me and one other dude. So, we can barely get a regular sized load (about 8 pallets) done in one night. But, being that we are short on sales associates, we have to throw load and help customers. So even when we get a normal sized load in- we don't get it done. :( I'm definitely pushing for a good pay raise come my one year review. :p

LOL this just sounded way too familiar. I did a bit of investigating and noticed we both work for the same company :D

Word of advice though:

Another thing that really pisses me off is that most the people they really don't know jack crap about the latest technology. Sure, they have to take certs that supposedly trains them... but they only train the about the products we carry. Infact, most the managers there thought that $150 for a GF6200 was a great deal. :p

Of course, I corrected them. :D Infact, anytime a customer tells me that they want to get a video card from gaming. I simply advise them to go to Newegg.com. Heck, the "fastest" video card we carry is the X800.

I'm sure the manager's wouldn't approve of my advice though. :p

Don't do this to a mystery shopper, else your store gets f*cked. :D At least in my district anyways.

FWIW I don't think I want to work there for more than 6 months. I'll more than likely leave after one year of employment. IMO I am being way underpaid for what kind of work they are having me do. The freebies that microsoft gives you, and the intel and hp discounts are nice, but in the end its just not worth it. I could do less technical work at wells-fargo for $20k per year FFS, and their employee benefits are insane ($2,500 tuition reimbursement for part time; thats enough to pay for a full time semester at an in-state university, and all of their benefits start at day one, none of this 90 day crap.) I really like our general manager and our sales manager though, I would hate to disappoint them, but you gotta do what you gotta do.