PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS and Win2k....

branthopolis
01-21-07, 01:55 PM
Hello All...

I was hoping someone could save me some time wading through the archives and tell me about running an 8800gts on Win2k...

Is it safe to assume that the "XP" driver works with Win2k?

I see from the messages that there are still apparantly plenty of problems with Vista.... Are the XP(/2000) drivers stable and fully functional with Win2k?

Any constructive feedback anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

~Mark

Rytr
01-21-07, 01:59 PM
2K SP4 is OK and should be relatively problem free although I have not personally used 2K in a couple of years except setting up some basically non-gaming systems for others. Currently XP SP2b is the way to go.

branthopolis
01-21-07, 02:07 PM
2K SP4 is OK and should be relatively problem free although I have not personally used 2K in a couple of years except setting up some basically non-gaming systems for others. Currently XP SP2b is the way to go.

Thanks Rytr... I've been using 2k for quite a few years now... With Vista right at the doorstep I hate to spend any real $$ on another OS that I might decide to replace in a relative short time... For what I do, Win2k still works GREAT... I'm just looking for a nice boost in video speed/ability..

Anyone else have anything to add??? Bad experiences????

Thanks again for the constructive feedback... I realize this is probably very old news for most of you... :D

~Mark

branthopolis
02-02-07, 03:07 AM
Just thought I'd post a small update...

Went ahead and upgraded from an A64 3000+ to a 4800 x2 and replaced an ATI A600 with a Leadtek PX8800GTS.

Flashed the BIOS, installed the new hardware, and did a fresh install of Win2k. The only pain in the butt was having to move the hard drives to different bays to accomodate the 8800. :D

Stability seems very good so far and the boost in performance is VERY noticeable.

Lfctony
02-02-07, 03:18 AM
Hehe, nice upgrade. Note that Geforces seem to have a problem with Win2k in some games. Both me and my brother had Win2k before. My brother experienced artifacts when he changed to a 6800GT in Falcon 4.0. So did I with my 6800 Ultra. Same driver in XP, no problem. Just be prepared, if you launch a game and is fully garbled, triangles etc, don't worry, it's just a 2k thing. :) Of course, it could have only been a 6800 thing too, and you might not experience something similar.

Tony.

branthopolis
02-03-07, 01:30 AM
Hehe, nice upgrade. Note that Geforces seem to have a problem with Win2k in some games. Both me and my brother had Win2k before. My brother experienced artifacts when he changed to a 6800GT in Falcon 4.0. So did I with my 6800 Ultra. Same driver in XP, no problem. Just be prepared, if you launch a game and is fully garbled, triangles etc, don't worry, it's just a 2k thing. :) Of course, it could have only been a 6800 thing too, and you might not experience something similar.

Tony.

Yep.. :D The cpu wasn't that bad, but that A600 was a DOG....

Haven't had any artifact (or any other) video issues yet.. Everything I did before, I do now.... MUCH faster... :)

I don't think I'll upgrade Windows until I absolutely ***HAVE*** to.... I'm hoping it isn't for quite a while because with everything I keep reading about Vista, I want to see atleast 1 maybe 2 service packs before I'll even think about it...