PDA

View Full Version : Using onboard AND X-fi at same time .... is this gonna work?

Lazaredz
01-21-07, 04:46 PM
So I have a bit of a issue here. Basicly I have a X-Fi XM and need to be able to have a minijack input from the Wii in the flexjack, but ALSO need to be able to have incoming audio from the DVR/Cablebox at the same time. Now the minijack from the cablebox (RCA to minijack converter) makes ground feedback noises so I'm using a loop isolater with it. It works but really reduces the sound quality I get. Also, obviosly I can only have 1 of the mini jacks plugged in at a time and its a PITA to change them over. I can use digital out from the Cablebox, but there is none from the Wii and the X-fi needs a dogle that provides for optical/coax digital in which takes up the minijack in again .... no help.

So I was thinking today, maybe I can just use the minijack in on the X-fi for the Wii and then run the sound in from the optical to the MOTHERBOARD optical in. This of course would require turning the onboard audio on and I've never tried to use both at the same time. Not sure if it would create conflicts/feedback or what.

So, given that I have a 680i board and an X-fi, would this work? How do I set it up?

Thx for any assist guys.

Laz

Rayman1968
01-21-07, 06:45 PM
What would happen if you used a 'Y' splitter and plugged them both into the flexjack?

CaptNKILL
01-21-07, 07:07 PM
I don't think it'd work right having 2 sound cards in use at the same time.

I know its a pain reaching around the computer and swapping plugs... how about getting a short minijack extension cord to run to a more accessible place where you can swap them easily?

Or like Rayman said, a splitter might work.

ViN86
01-21-07, 10:21 PM
you can enable them both at the same time and have the drivers for both loaded, however....

if you go into your control panel and click on your Sounds and Audio Devices, you will see that you can only select one output device at a time...

but if you just toggle the between the two to select your input, that would work. so, if you change your input/microphone/recording device to the device you want, and leave your default playback device the same, then it should work.

ive never tried running an input from to a separte sound device from the default playback one.

Lazaredz
01-21-07, 11:25 PM
you can enable them both at the same time and have the drivers for both loaded, however....

if you go into your control panel and click on your Sounds and Audio Devices, you will see that you can only select one output device at a time...

but if you just toggle the between the two to select your input, that would work. so, if you change your input/microphone/recording device to the device you want, and leave your default playback device the same, then it should work.

ive never tried running an input from to a separte sound device from the default playback one.

Thats what I was thinking of doing ... OR

it occured to me that maybe I can get an input select "box" or something where the 3 speaker wires connect in it and I can then place various inputs from the X-Fi, Cable box, Wii into it and flip a switch to which I want. Kind of like a Coax cable switch.

I'll give radio shack and the logitech website a look in the AM. All Wii'd our right now, time to sleep.

:)

ViN86
01-22-07, 12:00 AM
Thats what I was thinking of doing ... OR

it occured to me that maybe I can get an input select "box" or something where the 3 speaker wires connect in it and I can then place various inputs from the X-Fi, Cable box, Wii into it and flip a switch to which I want. Kind of like a Coax cable switch.

I'll give radio shack and the logitech website a look in the AM. All Wii'd our right now, time to sleep.

:)
oh yea, good idea :thumbsup:

they make these switchboxes that have like 5 inputs for a minijack and one output, then you press a button to select the input. they use them for speaker displays. that would work great :)