PDA

View Full Version : On computer sutdown with my XP2400

john19055
03-09-03, 07:22 PM
I was wondering when I go to shut my computer down now, it will say it is safe to shut down and I have to push the switch to cut it off,When I had the Xp 1900 my computer shut down automantic and I upgraded to the XP2400 and now it does'nt,is this normal or do I have something set wrong or couuld it have something to do with my power supply.

FastM
03-12-03, 08:53 AM
Nothing a quick format wouldn't fix :)

PsychoSy
03-13-03, 03:24 PM
A format is too drastic.

Did you clear your CMOS after swapping processors?

If so, you probably have to re-tweak your BIOS settings - mainly ACPI or APM. Personally, I keep ACPI disabled and use only APM but it's possible that the WinXP's HAL got knackered when your swapped CPUs (rarely happens...but possible).

Try this before formatting - click Start --> Control Panel --> Power Options. From here, I click the APM tab and check the box for "Enable APM support".

Your rig should shut itself off after a shutdown now.

john19055
03-14-03, 05:08 PM
when I went to load WIN XP again it will not load at all I just get a blue screen saying my harddrive may be corupted,but I have formatted it and it stills dose the same thing.But WIN ME will load on it with no problems.

Woodelf
03-14-03, 10:21 PM
What's Your power supply rated at?. I suggest 350W.
Did you remember the heatsink compound?.
Check the cpu temp.

Woodelf
03-14-03, 10:24 PM
Also check for Bios updates, but use the 1900+ to flash.

butter
03-17-03, 01:01 PM
no its nothing with hardware its winxp

go to device settings and click on view on the top then click on show hidden devices. then look for nt apm/legacy support and double click it. and turn it on.

Woodelf
03-18-03, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by butter
no its nothing with hardware its winxp

go to device settings and click on view on the top then click on show hidden devices. then look for nt apm/legacy support and double click it. and turn it on.

He's not able to get into windows xp after a fresh install.

Woodelf
03-18-03, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by john19055
when I went to load WIN XP again it will not load at all I just get a blue screen saying my harddrive may be corupted,but I have formatted it and it stills dose the same thing.But WIN ME will load on it with no problems.
Try repartitioning, then format.

Akucaen
03-19-03, 08:04 PM
Yes, windows like to kinda crap out on ya if you change CPU's. (like when I went from a P3 500 to a P3 700 awhile back.)

Took a format before it acted right again...

john19055
03-20-03, 06:02 PM
I have a 420watt power supply that came with my antec case,so I think that should be enough power.