PDA

View Full Version : Installing SATA Disk that has OS

ONER
01-21-07, 11:08 PM
Well I'm running A RAID 0 array which I boot up from and then I have another storage Drive. I decided to hook up my older SATA drive to get some files that I need but windows does not detect the SATA drive. Could it be because it has Windows XP on it? How do I make windows detect it?

ViN86
01-21-07, 11:13 PM
it will detect the drive even if it has windows xp on it, so thats not the problem.

is there a second SATA controller that you can connect the drive to? (ie, your RAID array is off the 680i chipset, is there a second SATA controller, like a Promise SATA RAID controller or something?)

also, if youre not connecting it to the 680i chipset SATA ports, you may need to install the RAID drivers on the disk to get windows to recognize it.

Rytr
01-21-07, 11:15 PM
Also you might have to check Disk Management. Goto Disk Management and check if it is listed. If it is listed as 'foreign' or something like that you will have to change it. Right click on it and select import foreign disks.

ViN86
01-21-07, 11:22 PM
Also you might have to check Disk Management. Goto Disk Management and check if it is listed. If it is listed as 'foreign' or something like that you will have to change it. Right click on it and select import foreign disks.
good call, forgout about that :o

ONER
01-22-07, 12:02 AM
Well I checked in bios and there is not a second RAID controller. I also checked Disk Management and it's not there either. I think I might have to install RAID drivers into the HDD. I also have RAID enabled on all of my SATA ports in bios. I tried to disable some and still a no go. I'll try the raid drivers.

Rytr
01-22-07, 12:21 AM
You should not have the SATA enabled on the one you are using with this extra drive. If you are using SATA 1 and 2, for example, they should be Raid enabled and SATA 3 or 4 should be disabled. If all are Raid enabled you will not see this drive in Disk Management. I suppose setting it up as Raid would work, I just have never done that.

ViN86
01-22-07, 01:02 AM
You should not have the SATA enabled on the one you are using with this extra drive. If you are using SATA 1 and 2, for example, they should be Raid enabled and SATA 3 or 4 should be disabled. If all are Raid enabled you will not see this drive in Disk Management. I suppose setting it up as Raid would work, I just have never done that.
yes, if you have RAID enabled on all ports, then it will try to throw the new drive onto the current array. but since its not setup, its just not recognized at all.

fwiw, i havent used RAID before, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt :o

ONER
01-22-07, 01:26 AM
Well I just tried to disable raid in all ports except on my Raptors and still no go. I even disconnected my storage drive. I tried everything. I guess I'll try out the HDD on my computer at work tomorrow.It was on when I tried using it and it also got hot, so I know it's not dead.

ONER
01-22-07, 05:30 PM
Well I tested out the HDD on my computer at work and it looks like it's dead. I can still hear it spin but it just wont show up in windows. I think I might of zapped it with some static. Who knows? I just bought it a year ago. Anyone know what kind of warranty does Seagate Barracudas have?

Rytr
01-22-07, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear that. I think your warranty is only one year from date of purchase but you should check it out to be sure.

HDDs are more sensitive than what most think, in the right situation you can zap one by simply just touching the exposed contacts. I try to just handle them along the edges as most of the time I do not use a anti-static wrist strap and I usually get out of the habit of grounding myself...I am just asking for it. :D

Think I will dig my wrist strap out cause I got to move one of my Raptors. ;)

ONER
01-22-07, 06:55 PM
Yeah, this indeed has tought me a lesson. I guess I'll start being more careful hanldling electronic components. Thanks guys.

ViN86
01-22-07, 08:04 PM
Yeah, this indeed has tought me a lesson. I guess I'll start being more careful hanldling electronic components. Thanks guys.
yea man, make sure you hold on to the electrostatic bag the HDD comes in. i store/transport all of my disks in or on those things.

gl with an RMA :o

ONER
01-22-07, 08:58 PM
Well I just checked out Seagates website and my 250GB HDD is covered until November of 2010. I guess it's RMA time. I bought it in December of 05. Looks like their HDD are covered for 5years.