PDA

View Full Version : Vista Upgrade versions are not bootable!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 01:35 PM
For the last few weeks here was conflicted posts from many forum assured that all Vista Upgrade versions will be bootable and do same thing as previous OS Upgrade versions. But I read some latest posts from Overclocker UK forum told that it will not bootable, I was uncertained about this and I decided to downloaded Vista Business Upgrade on torrent yesterday to tested it whether it is bootable.

I booted Virtual PC with Vista Business Upgrade DVD image and the DVD would not booted on blank hard disk image, I was surprised at this, some people from Overclocker UK forum was right about it. I thought about made a bootable DVD using XP boot sector image downloaded from a site on Nero but it failed. I also tried extracted Vista boot sector from Vista RTM image released back in November 2006 using Ultra ISO and burned it as image with Nero but it cant bootable properly with an error message. So my last attempt to get it bootable, I thought about used Vista RTM image, I loaded the RTM image on Ultra ISO and deleted all the files on the listing and copied the whole files from Vista Business Upgrade to the listing and saved the image. Then I booted Virtual PC with the image, the DVD booted successful and loaded Vista setup and I went through the installation, surprised it never asked for previous XP or 2000 CD when installed modified bootable Vista Business Upgrade on a blank hard disk image. :D

It still need to find best software that can extract Vista boot sector from Retail DVD properly with both 32bit and 64bit setup option. I think I probably still get Upgrade version and make bootable backup to do clean installation on formatted hard disk with no OS installed.

If you dont want to go with unbootable Vista Upgrade and make bootable backup then you can get cheaper OEM version or retail version both are bootable.

Rakeesh
01-22-07, 02:52 PM
I think you not can speakable properly with an error message.

einstein_314
01-22-07, 05:01 PM
Why would they make the upgrade version not bootable?!? That makes no sense. So they want you to install it from within windows XP? That is terrible.

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 05:20 PM
Why would they make the upgrade version not bootable?!? That makes no sense. So they want you to install it from within windows XP? That is terrible.

Yes Microsoft want people to install the upgrade version within Windows XP, if you have a brand new hard disk installed and the upgrade version cannot be installed on a blank hard disk, it need either Windows 2000 or XP installed first then Vista Upgrade version to be installed on top of it. That will take very long time to complete, it a complete waste of time.

The only different between Vista Upgrade versions vs Vista full retail versions are unbootable Vista retail. If you modified it to bootable upgrade DVD then it efficient turned it into full retail version and you will save 100 bucks. :)

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 05:38 PM
I think you not can speakable properly with an error message.

I found out what went wrong, it somehow caused by Nero and it booted fine after loaded the Vista boot file into Vista Upgrade DVD image and saved the unbootable image using Ultra ISO. :D

OWA
01-22-07, 06:11 PM
So, the upgrade version is bootable?

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 06:41 PM
So, the upgrade version is bootable?

No it not bootable, the only way to make it bootable is make an image of DVD and load the Vista boot file into it with Ultra ISO and burned it then you get bootable upgrade backup.

I tested to installed Vista within XP and it never went through the installation setup on either upgrade or clean installation, I get the error message 0x80070241 in every versions, I send the bug report about the error message as well as no USB 2.0 for memory reader when use more than 2GB RAM to Microsoft, no wonder they never fixed in final RC2 build before RTM. I got it installed fine by bootable DVD only.

Subtestube
01-22-07, 06:47 PM
Can someone with an original upgrade disc (i.e. - burned by whoever Microsoft hires to burn their hard copies) confirm / deny this? I'm wondering if the problem might be with the version that was in the torrent you downloaded, rather than the original disc versions. Please don't simply say "No - I'm sure." Unless you actually have an original upgrade disc and _made_ the image, I won't consider this a 'confirmed proof'.

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 07:19 PM
Can someone with an original upgrade disc (i.e. - burned by whoever Microsoft hires to burn their hard copies) confirm / deny this? I'm wondering if the problem might be with the version that was in the torrent you downloaded, rather than the original disc versions. Please don't simply say "No - I'm sure." Unless you actually have an original upgrade disc and _made_ the image, I won't consider this a 'confirmed proof'.

Here a thread (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17679117) from Overclocker UK forum:

No upgrade of vista will accept a shiny disk as proof of compliance. You must have a validated copy of xp or win 2000 installed on the pc. Clean install now means an overwritten ( if you like) install, not a spanky clean reformat like we all do now. This comes from the horses mouth over at vista newsgroups.

Personnaly I think MS have finally flipped with this as an upgrade policy, and I think it will push more people into buying oem (and trying fiddle the license when they upgrade) or not "buying" their copy of vista if you see what I mean.

I build about 14 systems a year for other people (as well as maintain for a client base of about 50 others, combined with my "proper" job) and always try to persuade them to buy a genuine copy of the os, and retail at that ( so that they have a copy of the os that will last, not become invalid if they upgrade or have a major hardware faliure!) but I think I will have to rethink that now, as the extra time involved for a double install or the extra cost of a full copy, just isn't worth the hassle.

I read the thread and cant imagined the pain people will feel if they have XP Upgrade CD installed over old Windows 95/98/98SE and Me Upgrade versions. With new blank hard drive, they will force to do painfully long triple installs. :(

betterdan
01-22-07, 07:44 PM
Yep I tried to boot up and install it fresh on a computer at work with a copy of Vista Business upgrade and it didn't work. I did an upgrade in XP and it said it would store everything currently on the disk in a folder named windows old.

Subtestube
01-22-07, 07:48 PM
Hmmm.. that's really really annoying... I realise I'm clutching at straws, but has anyone tried this with a Vista Home Premium / Ultimate Upgrade disc?

grey_1
01-22-07, 08:32 PM
The upgrade version has to be bootable. Otherwise this would be a falsification.

Update Eligibility
You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000 (including Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP Tablet PC, Windows XP Professional x64, Windows 2000) to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by purchasing and installing this upgrade copy of Windows Vista. Depending on which edition of Windows you are running and the edition of Windows Vista you would like to install, you have two options for the installation process: You can upgrade in-place, which means you can install Windows Vista and retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows or you can do a clean install. If you are currently using Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional x64, you are eligible for an upgrade copy to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista, but a clean install is required. For versions of Windows earlier than Windows 2000, upgrade copies are not available. These earlier versions of Windows require you to install a full copy of Windows Vista.

ViN86
01-22-07, 08:38 PM
if you use the Vista Upgrade, do you think the cd key would also work for the retail version of Vista?

Uberpwnage
01-22-07, 08:40 PM
Well if its not bootable, then I'm stuck with home premium.....:thumbdwn: :mad: :banghead: :lame:

betterdan
01-22-07, 08:44 PM
The upgrade version has to be bootable. Otherwise this would be a falsification.
It does do a clean install. But like I said it places everything you previously had on the disk into a folder named Windows old. The disk I had was not bootable. If you delete that folder all you will be left with is the fresh install of Vista.

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 08:50 PM
if you use the Vista Upgrade, do you think the cd key would also work for the retail version of Vista?

Yes I think so.

nekrosoft13
01-22-07, 09:05 PM
thats ****ed up, i can't believe they did that

nekrosoft13
01-22-07, 09:14 PM
AthlonXP1800 can you post that boot sector somewhere? So more people could make their bootable dvds

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 09:54 PM
AthlonXP1800 can you post that boot sector somewhere? So more people could make their bootable dvds

I done searching for good free online file storage and test some, I found Verzend work great.

Here the link to download Vista DVD boot sector below. :D

http://www.verzend.be/v/5172901/vista.bif.html

nekrosoft13
01-22-07, 10:01 PM
thanks, did you use nero ?

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 10:21 PM
thanks, did you use nero ?

Yes I use Nero and Ultra ISO to create image and burn it to DVD. The bif file format is for Ultra ISO, it didnt worked with Nero for bootable DVD. It best to try both programs as you may need Ultra ISO to create image just in case if Nero create image do not work well.

ViN86
01-23-07, 12:00 AM
so youre saying i can buy the upgrade version, create a disc image, then add the boot sector to it (to make the disc boot) and it will be just like a regular bootable disc?

AthlonXP1800
01-23-07, 12:02 AM
so youre saying i can buy the upgrade version, create a disc image, then add the boot sector to it (to make the disc boot) and it will be just like a regular bootable disc?

Yes that right. :D

ViN86
01-23-07, 12:04 AM
Yes that right. :D
niiiice :D

will the retail upgrade contain both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, or just one of the two? (sorry for askin so many questions, im new to vista :o)

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 12:12 AM
niiiice :D

will the retail upgrade contain both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, or just one of the two? (sorry for askin so many questions, im new to vista :o)

should be both