PDA

View Full Version : Laptop screen flickering, wierd colors etc...

Uberpwnage
01-22-07, 01:08 PM
One of my friend's called me up asking for help with his laptop. He brought it over, and explained that it had been flickering intermittently since he first powered it up earlier today. Also, the lower right corner of the screen seems to have a pinkish tint to it, which wasn't there before. After a couple minutes it began doing it again, so I updated his video drivers (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500) through Windows Update as ATI's page no longer had them. This didn't fix the problem, so I checked his refresh rate and resolution, lowered them, still wasn't fixed. I hooked up my old 17 inch LCD through VGA and the flickering was gone, and hasn't reappeared. Seems to me like the screen is probably about dead, the laptop was bought in 2002 or 2003. Seemed a little early for it to be doing this, the 17 inch I had is about the same age.

He really doesn't want to have to send it in to tech support, so I'm doing my best to fix it myself. Any possibility it is a different problem? I don't have much experience with laptops unfortunately.