PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX Related Problem.

robbobarney123
01-22-07, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

I was playing WoW earlier, and the PC just froze up, music juddered a bit, and then a bsod flashed up and it restarted. Now, it would appear this is a common enough problem with these cards, especially while playing WoW, amongst other games, i spotted this thread over on the main nvidia forum, and they havent found a solution yet, so I wondered if you lot had any ideas, Ive done all that the thread linked below has suggested, to no avail.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21758&st=0

Can anyone offer any assistance with this, my PC is (all at stock) -

Core 2 Duo X6800
BFG 8800GTX 768MB
OCZ Gold DDR2 PC2-8800 2GB
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo
OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU
Fans on everything, temps are all fine...

Anyway, thanks for reading..

Robbo

john19055
01-23-07, 06:09 AM
I was browseing the net and running all the benchmarks and it ran perfect ,but i was playing Prey and it would play about 10 to 15 minutes and freeze and then it would just reboot out of the blue,To make a long story short it turned out that I needed to increase my Vcore to the CPU ,I increased by .075v and now it works fine no more freezeing or random reboots.

sammy sung
01-23-07, 08:18 AM
Yea but youre overclocking quite heavily,dunno about the threadstarter but mine does that even unclocked with rainbow 6 vegas.I have no clue why it happens,if it was a hardware issue i would think more games would be affected but this only happens with r6 vegas for me.Perhaps a new driver will fix it,time will tell.:(

loafer87gt
01-23-07, 11:22 AM
Join the club.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24762

These cards are not and should not have been released as the drivers are simply half baked at the moment. I'm not talking about Vista support either, but rather good ol' XP which the card still doesn't seem to like to play nicely with in about half of my games and applications

So far the issues I have been having:

-Random BSOD in 3D Studio Max when running OpenGL with anything but default AA and AF.
-BSOD in Call of Juarez at launch. If it does actually get through the loading screen, then the shadows are all artifacted.
-Artifacting in NWN2
-Artifacting in FS X (Large flashing white squares)
-Artifacting in Just Cause
-Artifacting in Oblivion and Halo (finally fixed in last update)

These are the problems I have noticed so far on my card. The artifacting and graphical glitches I can live with as the drivers mature, but to have things so bloody unstable that they bring down my whole system at least twice a day with a NV4disp.dll BSOD is simply unacceptable.

The thing is, Nvidia doesn't seem to be concerned about these issues, and with the current half baked state of the drivers it is impossible to tell if a lot of these problems are due to a hardware or software problem. I guess one way to try and motivate Nvidia to get some decent drivers out would be for everyone experiencing any of these problems to keep RMA'ing their cards. If everyone does this, sooner or later, big Green is going to start getting some serious flak from their distributors.

OWA
01-23-07, 12:23 PM
No blue-screens here. I have some game issues that I mentioned in the game issues thread but my system is stable.

Gort
01-23-07, 12:26 PM
Have any of your tried the "Threaded optimizations" setting mentioned in the above? I may try 'em for my HL2 BSOD when I get home tonight.

Peter

robbobarney123
01-23-07, 12:29 PM
I was using the latest nvidia drivers (Version: 97.92), and I've put the ones that came on the BFG disk back on, and all is well...

:D

Q
01-23-07, 12:49 PM
This card is both the best card and worst card I've ever owned and that's including a Radeon 7000. If the drivers and stability issues don't see a dramatic turn for the better soon....

I'm going to bitch and moan some more. ;)

I'd like to see what ATI is coming out with. I was moderately happy with my X1900XT, even with its quirks. Overall I'm less satisfied with the 8800 but I'm very picky, too.

loafer87gt
01-23-07, 01:28 PM
I tried disabling the threaded optimizations hoping they might help but still ended up getting lockups. :(

Monolyth
01-23-07, 01:44 PM
I reported this on the Blizzard forums, and the Blue's confirmed that they recreated the issue in-house with 8800 series. In Terrokar Forest I would always lockup when approaching Veil Skith or whatever, I'm so glad I'm done doing quests out there. They know about it though and I'm sure next nVidia release or WOW patch will include a fix, luckily for us it's too big of a game to ignore.

OWA
01-23-07, 02:46 PM
I was using the latest nvidia drivers (Version: 97.92), and I've put the ones that came on the BFG disk back on, and all is well...

:D
What version came with your BFG?