PDA

View Full Version : Vista is out already !?

Pages : [1] 2

Xion X2
01-22-07, 10:44 PM
:wtf:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

I went ahead and got the Home Premium. :D

Great prices!

jAkUp
01-22-07, 10:45 PM
Yea the OEM's are out :D I'm waiting for the retail one because that one contains both x32 and x64 versions.

rhink
01-22-07, 10:50 PM
It's supposed to be downloadable through the windows marketplace, right?

If that permits me to buy a key, and an iso to burn to disc, that's probably the way to go.

ViN86
01-22-07, 10:53 PM
Yea the OEM's are out :D I'm waiting for the retail one because that one contains both x32 and x64 versions.
oh nice. :D

i hear 64 bit vista will be much more secure than the 32 bit version so it will soon render the 32 bit version outdated. we will see though, and id like to have both versions. :)

jAkUp
01-22-07, 10:56 PM
oh nice. :D

i hear 64 bit vista will be much more secure than the 32 bit version so it will soon render the 32 bit version outdated. we will see though, and id like to have both versions. :)

I would expect the x32 version to be eventually outdated... but probably not for a while.

Crysis, and UT2007 have built in support for x64 environments if I am remembering correctly...

EDIT:

Yup looks like it does, my interview none the less!!

Freeman: First of all, do you plan on supporting 64 bit CPU’s in a 64 bit environment?

Sweeney: Yeah, that's going to be a big feature of Unreal Engine 3, that we support both 32-bit and 64-bit out of the box, this'll be big in PC games.

Freeman: Do you see any benefits of running 64-bit CPUs? Is there any performance benefit?

Sweeney: Yeah, compiled code runs faster because you have twice as many registers to work with, but also with Unreal Engine 3 we're really pushing the content... we'll be able to use high-resolution textures with more detail in the environment and that'll be a great thing on PC, which is a really scalable platform.

evilchris
01-22-07, 11:00 PM
I've been running Ultimate for a week or so. It went up on MSDN 2 weeks ago.

AthlonXP1800
01-22-07, 11:00 PM
Yes the OEM are already out in the UK for nearly 2 weeks, now very few Vista Ultimate Upgrade and full retail are already out in the UK.

ViN86
01-22-07, 11:03 PM
I would expect the x32 version to be eventually outdated... but probably not for a while.

Crysis, and UT2007 have built in support for x64 environments if I am remembering correctly...

EDIT:

Yup looks like it does, my interview none the less!!
:drooling:

sweeney just made my year :D

nekrosoft13
01-22-07, 11:04 PM
i will probably buy ultimate upgrade soon

ViN86
01-22-07, 11:06 PM
i will probably buy ultimate upgrade soon
im goin to wait for the retail ultimate upgrade. id like to have both 32 and 64 bit versions.

nekrosoft13
01-22-07, 11:10 PM
i will get the retail too, once i get it i will have to make my custom DVD with boot sector

ViN86
01-22-07, 11:12 PM
i will get the retail too, once i get it i will have to make my custom DVD with boot sector
me too :headbang:

XP_GUN
01-22-07, 11:18 PM
Upgrade comes with 64bit right?

Xion X2
01-22-07, 11:29 PM

Meh. Yeah, I canceled it when I found that out. I'll just wait for the retail version, I guess. I don't want to be stuck with 32bit only.

OWA
01-23-07, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for the retail versions as well although it has been tempting to get an OEM copy a little early.

TiKiMaN1
01-23-07, 09:04 AM
Meh. Yeah, I canceled it when I found that out. I'll just wait for the retail version, I guess. I don't want to be stuck with 32bit only.

Dang. Well that is most certainly good to know. Thanks for the heads up jAkUp.

Riptide
01-23-07, 09:40 AM
/yawn

Wake me up when we get good vidcard drivers.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 09:45 AM
main reason for me is the strick hardware change/activation in OEM.

plus when i get retail, i can get 2 additional home premium for $50 each

OWA
01-23-07, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that's the main reason for me as well.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 10:28 AM
The service with the two other copies isn't available here...

And could you please explain the situation with the hardware changes? I thought that was just a rumor.

i hope its a rumor

i don't know excact details but until i do, i don't want to risk it, especially when i upgrade allot

Responding to the myriad complaints over ambiguities and outright uncool (that's a technical term) licensing terms, Microsoft has revised the Windows Vista retail license to remove some of the most major causes of complaint. A Microsoft spokesperson told Ars Technica that the changes do indeed come in response to concerns from the PC enthusiast community. "We heard that users wanted more flexibility, and this change should give hardware enthusiasts in particular more latitude to upgrade their PCs or reassign their license to a new PC, while still making clear our intentions to protect our software from piracy," the spokesperson said.

A previous version of the Windows Vista retail license restricted the number of times you may transfer Vista from one device to another. The license read: "The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the 'licensed device.'"

The new license has removed this language relating to device transfers, and now reads: "You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any other device."

Furthermore, Microsoft has clarified the licenses with regards to re-installation. "You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices," the license reads.

Additionally, Microsoft clarified transfer rights to other users. You can transfer your license of Windows Vista to another user provided that you uninstall the original copy and do not keep any of the materials from the original installation.

Microsoft's Nick White also said that the move came after PC enthusiasts complained about the limitation. "Our intention behind the original terms was genuinely geared toward combating piracy; however, it’s become clear to us that those original terms were perceived as adversely affecting an important group of customers: PC and hardware enthusiasts," he wrote on the Windows Vista blog. "We respect the time and expense you go to in customizing, building and rebuilding your hardware and we heard you that the previous terms were seen as an impediment to that -- it’s for that reason we’ve made this change."

Additionally, earlier this week Microsoft told Ars Technica that the Software Protection Platform that monitors Windows Vista installations for license compliance is more forgiving than previous attempts. A Microsoft spokesperson told Ars Technica that "the hardware tolerance of product activation for Windows Vista has been improved and is more flexible than that for Windows XP," indicating that re-activations caused by minor changes to a PC should be less common. "We believe these improvements will better accommodate the needs of our PC enthusiast customers," the spokesperson said.

OEM licenses still different
It bears repeating, however, the the OEM license that comes with Vista is indeed similar to the Windows XP OEM license in that it forbids any kind of transfer. As we have previously reported, users have nevertheless had success transferring those copies of Windows, but they are technically stepping outside of the bounds of the EULA when doing so.

J-Mag
01-23-07, 11:59 AM
The EULA can't prevent you from re-installing if your mobo dies. This is why MS employs all those people in India, to give you a new code that the EULA says you can't have ::rolleyes:

Rakeesh
01-23-07, 12:43 PM
The EULA can't prevent you from re-installing if your mobo dies. This is why MS employs all those people in India, to give you a new code that the EULA says you can't have ::rolleyes:

What people in india? When you phone in, its an automated system.

I wouldn't buy an OEM copy of vista if you know you might upgrade your system soon until somebody else actually verifies that there are any loopholes that allow you to get around the restrictions.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 12:46 PM
What people in india? When you phone in, its an automated system.

I wouldn't buy an OEM copy of vista if you know you might upgrade your system soon until somebody else actually verifies that there are any loopholes that allow you to get around the restrictions.

back in xp, when automated activation doesn't work anymore, it transfers you to india, where you have to explain why bla bla, and usually they give you re-activation code.

J-Mag
01-23-07, 12:57 PM
back in xp, when automated activation doesn't work anymore, it transfers you to india, where you have to explain why bla bla, and usually they give you re-activation code.

Back in XP?!?!? LOL! It's like we are talking about ancient history all of a sudden... HAH!

Anyway, way they usually ask you "how many computers have you installed the OS on", it is really the only thing they care about.

saturnotaku
01-23-07, 08:53 PM
I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium coming soon. If I were to buy the full OEM version and just install that, would there be a problem packaging my current OEM copy of XP Media Center and the Vista upgrade and selling it as a bundle?