PDA

View Full Version : Any Word?

snilloconator
01-23-07, 12:09 AM
Does anyone know if they will be coming out with an updated driver for the 8800 series none vista? Just wondering because Unreal Tournament will not run with these drivers....

loafer87gt
01-23-07, 12:38 AM
I hope us XP users get another driver release before Nvidia jumps ship and focuses solely on Vista. About half the games I have installed on my machine right now have problems with the current drivers.

aydc
01-23-07, 01:08 AM
8 days to go now. They can't hide those drivers longer than that. Personally I'm waiting for a decent control panel and normal video playback with VMR9. It won't hurt if games don't crash too. :)

F_L_C
01-23-07, 01:31 AM
I'm still waiting for them to release a driver that brings back CoolBits. Also fix some new control panel issues, such as settings not sticking in video and tv. Just dump the new CP and transfer all the new settings to the old CP. Stop wasting time and resources on the unpopular new CP. It was a nice try, but the vast majority do not approve. Might as well stop development of ntune as well because it is certainly another failed effort.

aydc
01-23-07, 02:29 AM
Yeah. It's sad when a freeware program like RivaTuner written by enthusiasts can get everything right, and a multibillion company like nVidia just can't write a decent software for tweaking settings.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 07:27 AM
maybe they just should hire Grestorn and use nHancer as the official CP ;)

toby77jo
01-23-07, 09:54 AM
I think us all with a 8800 did a mistake, we should have all waited for the 8900 revision, finally there will be no directx10 games before late march, i would guess further delays, so lets say late april. By then there will probably be 8900 on the market and the r600 from ati.

I used to be nvidia fan, but what happened to them, so few updates to the xp driver, so long wait for the alpha vista driver to be released, and I am yet not happy with any of the drivers and I have had my 8800 since the first release day, and it was not cheap!!!

I miss my 7950GX2, DVI-HDMI on my HD tv worked perfectly, most games run fine in SLI, but same there, took way to long time for the driver to mature.

It seems all is about big marketing campaigns to make us buy, we buy to have the best, but finally we are the ones being used as test users for many many months, and thanks to us they have all feedback to improve the drivers, and yet we pay a premium price.

I wish a third big graphic card manufacturer could enter the market so it would be against xxxx - AMD/ATI - NVIDIA, maybe that would make them do more quality assuarance not only on the hardware but also the software.

PeterJensen
01-23-07, 09:54 AM
Vista is now retail in Denmark. Just bought Ultimate OEM Danish :)

seppuka
01-23-07, 10:21 AM
It's on Newegg folks, 199$ OEM ultimate.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 10:23 AM
Vista is now retail in Denmark. Just bought Ultimate OEM Danish :)

OEM is not retail

PeterJensen
01-23-07, 11:42 AM
OEM is not retail

You can all buy the retail boxes so please chill. Jesus...

aydc
01-23-07, 12:35 PM
LOL. I'm amazed at experienced users who choose boxed over OEM and pay 300$ extra. I can understand newbies who need support hotline, but people like us... A DVD and a serial key is all we need.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 01:26 PM
LOL. I'm amazed at experienced users who choose boxed over OEM and pay 300$ extra. I can understand newbies who need support hotline, but people like us... A DVD and a serial key is all we need.

umm, OEM ultimate is 199, ultimate retail upgrade is 259 (don't need full)

plus if you buy retail ultimate you can get 2 extra home premium licenses for $50 each.

so who pays $300 extra?

skoprowski
01-23-07, 01:44 PM
You need to watch though- OEM licenses are much different then retail.

Here is Microsoft's policy:

OEM software licenses cannot be transferred from one computer system to another, even if the computer system on which it was originally installed is no longer in use. "
-Note: Microsoft now defines the PC as the "motherboard".

You can RE-INSTALL OEM software on the SAME MOTHERBOARD as often as necessary. If done too frequently, you may have to call MS to Activate.

BTW- I agree the UT2004 issue is a pain- I'm now using my 7900's in my main gaming machine because of it.

snilloconator
01-23-07, 05:14 PM
Holy bend my thread over and hijack rapage!!! Geeeezus can I at least get a reach around....? LOL

I could care less about new windows vista!!!! I started a thread about a possible new driver for "XP" 8800 series...

F_L_C
01-23-07, 05:27 PM
G80 owners will most certainly get another XP driver before anything gets released for any lesser cards. The flagship always gets preferential treatment.

About Vista OEM, I posted in another thread about the license terms compared to retail. In practice, they will be identical concerning transfers. This does not apply to Dell or HP OEM licenses, however. But all indications is that things will work as they did in XP.

Slammin
01-23-07, 06:50 PM
Why is there all these threads about nVidia abandoning XP for an OS that's not even officially released yet?

Whining about nothing, as you can see, only causes more whining about even more nothings.

This cracks me up! :D

I mean, by this logic, I guess I may as well toss my "old" 7800gtx cards and break my XP CD in half.

Ancient
01-23-07, 07:57 PM
The handwringing and FUD prior to Vista's release is rampant right now. It'll calm down once Vista is officially released and the trolls crawl back under their bridges, and the fears of the paranoid types are assuaged.

snilloconator
01-23-07, 11:21 PM
Why is there all these threads about nVidia abandoning XP for an OS that's not even officially released yet?

Whining about nothing, as you can see, only causes more whining about even more nothings.

This cracks me up! :D

I mean, by this logic, I guess I may as well toss my "old" 7800gtx cards and break my XP CD in half.

Who are you referring to? I just asked when the next possible patch for xp would be released....

Slammin
01-24-07, 02:18 AM
Who are you referring to? I just asked when the next possible patch for xp would be released....

Look at the first 6 replies to your post. None of them are even related to your question, which makes even less sense.

Do you really think the driver you have with Vista, right now, is the LAST 8800 driver nVidia is going to make for Vista, which officially releases at the end of the month in case you haven't heard.

Not trying to sound harsh, and pardon me if I do, but your original question just doesn't make a lot of sense, and you did not say 'when'. Here is your original post:

"Does anyone know if they will be coming out with an updated driver for the 8800 series none vista? Just wondering because Unreal Tournament will not run with these drivers...."

What if someone said "never, they are done"? :D

I'm pretty sure I've read that nVidia has already commited to releasing an official driver for Vista at official Vista release and I think it says that on nVidia's web site. Go check it out.

Scaramonga
01-24-07, 06:33 AM
'Whining' is the game here........'moaning' a little helps too ;) ......if all else fails....just 'bleat'.........:rolleyes: :) :rolleyes:

snilloconator
01-24-07, 09:08 AM
Look at the first 6 replies to your post. None of them are even related to your question, which makes even less sense.

Do you really think the driver you have with Vista, right now, is the LAST 8800 driver nVidia is going to make for Vista, which officially releases at the end of the month in case you haven't heard.

Not trying to sound harsh, and pardon me if I do, but your original question just doesn't make a lot of sense, and you did not say 'when'. Here is your original post:

"Does anyone know if they will be coming out with an updated driver for the 8800 series none vista? Just wondering because Unreal Tournament will not run with these drivers...."

What if someone said "never, they are done"? :D

I'm pretty sure I've read that nVidia has already commited to releasing an official driver for Vista at official Vista release and I think it says that on nVidia's web site. Go check it out.

OK let me rephrase my original question.

I'm currently running a new 8800GTX with the 97.92 drivers on Windows XP. My major concern is that UT2004 is a game I enjoy playing and it is well noted that UT stutters with the new 8800 series and the current drivers. With that being said does anyone here in the nvnews forums know of an updated driver for XP and the 8800 series that nvidia is working on. If so is anyone aware of a round about time? I'm sure they will be coming with an updated driver I was just wondering if anyone had some additional info.....

On another note: The 8800GTX and my current OS and system run every other game I own flawlessly! Name a few I've tried.... COD2, F.E.A.R, F.E.A.R EP, GRAW, HL2 and episode one. I really enjoy the card it kicks ass with of course the exception it doesn't run UT worth a hoot!

OH one more thing! Windows XP! I know a lot have come here and totally f'd the thread up with vista and what not. But if you reply could you please stick to topic? I know everyone is excited about vista but I'm not to worried about it at the moment. I will prob by vista in the future but right now my focus is on XP. LOL

t3hl33td4rg0n
01-25-07, 09:46 PM

Probably because nVidia has a track record of abandoning fixing problems with old hardware/software thats not bleeding edge that week.

Here are some examples....

nForce3 / 6xxx Stutter problem
nForce4 NAM AA data corruption
PureVideo on older revisions of 6800/6600 cards

Outside of GPU's, they tend to not fix problems of mobo chipsets that arent the newest series.

therapture
01-25-07, 10:14 PM
OK let me rephrase my original question.

I'm currently running a new 8800GTX with the 97.92 drivers on Windows XP. My major concern is that UT2004 is a game I enjoy playing and it is well noted that UT stutters with the new 8800 series and the current drivers. I really enjoy the card it kicks ass with of course the exception it doesn't run UT worth a hoot!

OH one more thing! Windows XP! I know a lot have come here and totally f'd the thread up with vista and what not. But if you reply could you please stick to topic? I know everyone is excited about vista but I'm not to worried about it at the moment. I will prob by vista in the future but right now my focus is on XP. LOL

Have you forced the UT2004 executable to run with a SINGLE core instead of splitting the load across both cores? Try it...you might find it cures the stutter.:cool: