PDA

View Full Version : Any reason worth getting Vista Ultimate for a gamer?

Tygerwoody
01-23-07, 08:19 AM
besides dreamscene? Honestly thats all I see. I have my preorder in for vista ultimate, but I am really thinking of just getting it and selling it.

What are the advantages of Ultimate over Home Premium for a gamer? The only thing I'm remotely interested in is dreamscene(which doesn't have anything to do with games, but it sure is cool :p). Also, do you think some third party will come out with a "dreamscene" type program for home premium?

rhink
01-23-07, 08:35 AM
Personally, I'm thinking about ultimate just b/c you can get 2 cheap licenses for home premium ($50 each) if you buy ultimate. I have 3 computers, 2 of which I wasn't going to bother upgrading, but that makes it a little more reasonable.

Orsenfelt
01-23-07, 08:36 AM
The Ultimate Extra's look lame imo.

This edition combines all the features of the Home Premium and Enterprise editions, a game performance tweaker (WinSAT), and "Ultimate Extras". On January 7, 2007, at CES, Microsoft began to announce what some of these Ultimate Extras will be. When Vista launches to consumers on January 30, Microsoft will immediately make the following Extras available for Ultimate users: "Dream Scene", a utility that will allow for full-motion video desktop backgrounds; "Hold'Em", a Vista-customized version of the Texas Hold'Em poker game; Multi-user interface language packs, designed to allow individuals fluent in different languages to share the same PC; BitLocker Online Secure Key Storage, where Ultimate customers will be offered a secure place to store their BitLocker encryption keys in the Online Vista Marketplace; and "Digital publications," a collection of tips and tricks, blog links and other resources for getting the most out of Ultimate.[36][37] After that, many more are expected to be announced through 2007, including a photo editing and merging tool shown at CES called "GroupShot". More detailed information regarding some of these extras can be read at the Vista Ultimate website here The Ultimate edition is aimed at high-end PC users, gamers, multimedia professionals, and PC enthusiasts. 64-bit Ultimate supports 128 GB of memory. Mainstream support for Ultimate ends on 4/10/2012; extended support ends on 4/11/2017. Another upgrade variant of Windows Vista Ultimate is the Windows Vista Ultimate Signature Edition, a limited, numbered edition of Windows Vista Ultimate that features Bill Gates' signature on the front of the packaging along with its unique number.

Tygerwoody
01-23-07, 09:00 AM
Personally, I'm thinking about ultimate just b/c you can get 2 cheap licenses for home premium ($50 each) if you buy ultimate. I have 3 computers, 2 of which I wasn't going to bother upgrading, but that makes it a little more reasonable.
wtf are you talking about? :wtf:

saturnotaku
01-23-07, 09:08 AM
Apparently if you buy Ultimate, there will be a coupon or something that will allow you to purchase two additional licenses of Home Premium for $50 each. Not a bad deal if you have more than one PC, IMO. I was thinking about getting Ultimate myself, but I think I'll stick with Home Premium.

Tygerwoody
01-23-07, 09:19 AM
Apparently if you buy Ultimate, there will be a coupon or something that will allow you to purchase two additional licenses of Home Premium for $50 each. Not a bad deal if you have more than one PC, IMO. I was thinking about getting Ultimate myself, but I think I'll stick with Home Premium.
Does this work for buying the Ultimate Upgrade? Or just the full version?

rhink
01-23-07, 09:34 AM
Does this work for buying the Ultimate Upgrade? Or just the full version?

Not sure.

Some more info here:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/01/19/microsoft.vista.ap/index.html

Also at windows marketplace.

3 copies of home premium (full, I haven't bought an operating system since 1998 :D ) @ $239 = $717. 1 copy of ultimate @ 399 + 2 copies of premium at $50 = $499, $218 savings.

Tygerwoody
01-23-07, 09:48 AM
Thanks for clearing up that question.

What are the advantages of Ultimate over Home Premium for a gamer? The only thing I'm remotely interested in is dreamscene(which doesn't have anything to do with games, but it sure is cool :p). Also, do you think some third party will come out with a "dreamscene" type program for home premium?
can someone answer these for me?

einstein_314
01-23-07, 11:56 AM
Thanks for clearing up that question.

can someone answer these for me?
Well apparently it is supposed to come with something called the game optimizer (or something to that extent). As for what it does, I don't think anyone knows yet....Other than that...there aren't many benifits over Home premium. But I do like the sound of getting 2 copies of home premium for $50 each...I think I'm going to get ultimate for my main rig and home premium for my lappy. And I get another copy of home premium for my HTPC with an upgrade coupon...

Oh and I can totally see some 3rd party coming out with a dreamscene like program. Although, microsoft might block it or something...who knows.

nekrosoft13
01-23-07, 12:00 PM
about those coupons, anyone have any form of confirmation that it will also work on vista ultimate upgrade? or just with the full version?