PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for 8800 owners.

Pages : [1] 2

Emanon
01-23-07, 03:04 PM
Hello.

I am currently building a new gaming rig and those 8800 cards are looking like the best alternative atm. However I have heard that they have some driver issues and such. Therefore I was hoping those that already own or have experience with these cards could help me out. :)

Knowing what you know now would you buy a 8800 card today? Waiting for newer cards is not an option for me (I'm currently using a GeForce 4 AGP card).
So I would have to buy a mid range DX9 card and then upgrade later.

Any help you could offer would be greatly apriciated.

P.S Please excuse my grammar and spelling, English is not my primary language.

Thank you all for your help.

SlieTheSecond
01-23-07, 03:15 PM
Well having an 8800 GTS, I wouldn't go for anything lower. The drivers have a few flaws with a few games. But hardly enough to make me wish I bought a 7 series. Infact I can play most of my games fine (Oblivion, COD2, NFSMW, Q4, PREY, etc). Although I don't play Battlefield which seems to have some issues with a lot of people.

Emanon
01-23-07, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't really play Battlefield so that wont be an issue, and they will release better drivers eventually right?

OWA
01-23-07, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'd still buy one or two today if I didn't already own two. The drivers issues are slowly being ironed out so it should only get better.

Monolyth
01-23-07, 04:02 PM
I love my 8800GTX, and apart from the few driver issues which will be taken care of, I think it's probably the best gfx purchase I've made in a long time.

Emanon
01-23-07, 04:02 PM
Then I guess the only remaining question is GTS or GTX. :)

Would a E6600 with 2gb ram running at a 1600 x 1200 resolution be enough to harness most of the GTX or would it be a waste?
From what I understand the GTX needs more power as well.

I have been looking at these PSUs, would they be enough for a GTX/GTS + 2-3 Hard drives and one or two DVDs?

Hiper ATX 580W 18dB 120mm Fan 4xSATA, 2XPCI-E, 20/24pin
Type-R 530W 2 Fans, 18db, 4xSATA, ATX/BTX, 2xPCI-E, 20/24pin
Hiper Type-R 580W Sort, 2 Fans, Silent 18db, 4xSATA, ATX, SLI, 20/24pin
Fortron/Source Epsilon 600W, Blue Fan, Active PFC, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin
Fortron/Source Epsilon 700W, Blue Fan, Active PFC, ATX/EPS, SLI, 20/24pin

Thanks for the replys so far :)

Ancient
01-23-07, 04:22 PM
You're right on the borderline resolution. A GTS can cope with that res, even with some AA and 16AF, but future games may put a strain on it. Go with a GTX if you'll be using a non-SLI capable m/b. Or, with an SLI motherboard, go with a single GTS now and you'll have the ability to add another in the future.

One other option is to buy an eVGA GTS and see if it meets your expectations. If not, use the step-up program to upgrade to a GTX.

Saintster
01-23-07, 05:14 PM
You're right on the borderline resolution. A GTS can cope with that res, even with some AA and 16AF, but future games may put a strain on it. Go with a GTX if you'll be using a non-SLI capable m/b. Or, with an SLI motherboard, go with a single GTS now and you'll have the ability to add another in the future.

One other option is to buy an eVGA GTS and see if it meets your expectations. If not, use the step-up program to upgrade to a GTX.

Good advice. For the 7 series 7800 and 7900 I bought 2 cards right off the bat. With the 8800 gtx I bought 1 card and it's more than enough for almost any game right now at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out. When dx 10 games come out and slow this card down I'll addd another but i have a feeling a better 8 or next gen will be out by then.

D!Z
01-23-07, 05:24 PM
ive owned lotsa cards and i think the 8800 is the best one yet, its a real leap. With everything new it takes time too grow, no matter what tech you buy new.

loafer87gt
01-23-07, 06:30 PM
When they work, they are awesome, but from my own experiences about half of my games have visual artifacts or other problems with the G80. Factor in the three or four complete system crashes or BSOD due to the immaturity of the drivers, and I would have to so, no, I would not have purchased the card. Maybe in three or four months after Nvidia gets around to looking at the driver situation ,the card would be a worthwhile purchase, but as the current drivers go, its just not worth the headache.

Emanon
01-23-07, 06:33 PM
Thank you all for your time. I will go with the GTX. I have used the power suply calculator to see what kind of PSU I need. It recomended 430W or above, So I picked a Hiper Type-R 580W just to be sure.

Thanks for all the help ;)

Edit #1 In response to Loafer
Unfortunatly waiting isn't really an option. My system is very outdated and as a Total Annihilation fan I cant be sitting on a 4 year old system when SupCom is released next month ;). And from what I understand buying a high end DX9 card now would be unwise (please correct me if I am wrong).

john19055
01-23-07, 06:49 PM
I would buy a 8800 ,if I did not have two already,because I have had less problems with the 8800 then I did with my 7900's.

vmsein
01-23-07, 08:26 PM
I would buy a 8800 ,if I did not have two already,because I have had less problems with the 8800 then I did with my 7900's.
Same here. It's somewhat unfortunate that the release of the 8800 series video cards has been tangled with the imminent release of Windows Vista, as the driver team(s) now have to worry about two very different operating systems to support. Eventually we will have mature drivers for both; it's just gonna take time.

jcrox
01-23-07, 11:23 PM
I currently have Quake 4, Far Cry, HL2, CS:S, Fear, Oblivion, GRAW and Dark Messiah installed and I have no problems with any of the games other than the fog issue on HL2 and CS:S which will hopefully be fixed very soon. I would highly recommend buying at least one. I'm currently only running 1 in this system until my H2O kit gets here but just 1 GTS kicks my old 7800GT SLI set up right to the curb.

scott123
01-24-07, 12:30 AM
When they work, they are awesome, but from my own experiences about half of my games have visual artifacts or other problems with the G80. Factor in the three or four complete system crashes or BSOD due to the immaturity of the drivers, and I would have to so, no, I would not have purchased the card. Maybe in three or four months after Nvidia gets around to looking at the driver situation ,the card would be a worthwhile purchase, but as the current drivers go, its just not worth the headache.
Since the majority of users are NOT having the issues you describe, the problem lies in your configuration (hardware/software) and not the 8800. The only exception to that is a faulty 8800.

loafer87gt
01-24-07, 01:41 AM
Or it just happens to be the software I am unlucky enough to be trying to run. The games with graphics glitches (Call of Juarez, GTR2, Just Cause, and FS X) all seem to be known issues for the past three releases but Nvidia hasn't addressed them as of yet. I used to have similar artifacting with Oblivion and Halo, but thankfully the latest drivers fixed these quirks. As far as the BSOD go, read through the eVGA forums - I am not the only one experiencing these. Currently there are about half a dozen active threads going on with users experiencing the same problems as I am having. No too sure if we all have dud cards, or where the problem lies.

Very frustrating trying to troubleshoot stuff like this.

HeavyH20
01-24-07, 02:08 AM
I think the hardest part for any company supporting the enthusiast community is the variety of hardware. With an OEM or value add reseller, their systems tend to be similar, if not the same. So, if an incompatibility between a hard drive, soundcard or video card are detected, there tends to be correlation which helps point to a resolution.

For example, I have now built 6 PC's with 8800 series cards, and none of them demonstrated any of these BSOD, data corruption or artifact issues. I built them all with the same or similar components. EVGA 8800 series video cards, EVGA 680i motherboards, Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 or 1000, WD OS drives with Seagates for mass storage, X-Fi or built in sound, and the same Lite-On DVDRW-DL drives. P21, P23 and P24 BIOS revs all have worked just fine.

So, no complaints here. The 8800 series cards are leaps and bounds better than anything else currently available. If you are looking to make the leap, it is well worth the effort. Sure, there are some game bugs, but those will always exist. And, sometimes, instead of always pointing a finger at the drivers as the problem, we need to consider that some games are simply poorly formed in the first place. Not every game is well written. And, when you do address issues, you pick the games that matter to your customers first and then work to the unpopular games, as work bandwidth dictates.

The other item to consider is that the development effort for DX9 drivers on XP have taken a back seat (way back of the bus) on the driver developer's plate. The DX 10 Vista drivers are what these cards are destined for, and that has been where the effort has been invested. Let's face it, we did not buy the 8800 to get better DX9 performance (nice bonus feature, however). We bought it for the upcoming DX10 games that promise graphics unseen to date on any console or PC gaming platform. It's that good.

Emanon
01-24-07, 04:05 AM
I notice some of you mention the Evga cards. Is there a huge difference from the other labels? The reason I ask is that the shop I normally use does not carry
Evga, and I am not confident enough to assemble a computer on my own. Therefore it would be easier to buy all the parts from the same shop and have them assemble it for me.

Redeemed
01-24-07, 05:14 AM
I notice some of you mention the Evga cards. Is there a huge difference from the other labels? The reason I ask is that the shop I normally use does not carry
Evga, and I am not confident enough to assemble a computer on my own. Therefore it would be easier to buy all the parts from the same shop and have them assemble it for me.

Well, eVGA offers a life-time warranty with their cards, you can add aftermarket coolers and such to your cards and it wont void the warranty, you can overclock your cards and it still wont void the warranty, and they also offer the 90-day step-up program.

I might have left a few things out, but you get the picture. eVGA is a very solid company- I have two of their 8800GTSs in my rig right now. :D

My only complaint about the 8800's is the few driver bugs. I get BSODs periodically- but I'm tending to believe they are driver related. They only occur with FarCry...

What happens is I'll start the game just fine, but when I go to load my last saved game it'll finish loading (the bar is full) but then I suddenly get a BSOD. System will restart before I can even read what the BSOD says. If I uninstall FarCry, and then reinstall it (and the 1.4 cummulative patch) I can start a new game just fine. But, I can only quite out of the game and restart it and load my last saved game about 4 or so times before I start getting the BSODs again. It is really pretty strange.

Also, in CoD2 I noticed the textures don't show up properly- they are many times purple-ish and very unnatural looking. I haven't tried CoD2 with the latest drivers so the issue might be fixed. I know FarCry still doesn't work properly though.

Another thing about FarCry, I can't get HDR+AA to work. These cards support it, but for some reason FarCry doesn't seem to realise this. I assume that is a driver issue.

Other than that- I have had no other problems with these cards. Even with these problems I'd still have purchased these cards. These minor setbacks aren't nearly enough to out weigh the gains.

If you can, I'd order two eVGA cards from Newegg, and when they arrive stop by your store to purchase the rest of the hardware and have the company assemble it. I don't see why they'd say no. ;)

Hope that this post has been atleast somewhat helpful. :D

Xion X2
01-24-07, 05:21 AM
I used to get BSOD's all the time on mine until I flashed to the latest BIOS for the eVGA 680i. Since flashing to the P24 I've only gotten one of these in the past week--I'm on my comp 6-7 hours a day--and it was right after I had flashed it.

Redeemed
01-24-07, 05:38 AM
Well, I leave my computer running, and I never get BSODs or lockups of any sort- unless I'm loading a level of FarCry. So that is what makes me believe it is just early drivers.

buffbiff21
01-24-07, 06:11 AM
Well, I leave my computer running, and I never get BSODs or lockups of any sort- unless I'm loading a level of FarCry. So that is what makes me believe it is just early drivers.

Far Cry freezes on me when i play it, forcing me to cool boot.

with ALL the drivers. And trust me, my system is 110% stable. What patch version do you have, redeemed?

Redeemed
01-24-07, 06:24 AM
Far Cry freezes on me when i play it, forcing me to cool boot.

with ALL the drivers. And trust me, my system is 110% stable. What patch version do you have, redeemed?

The 1.4 Cumulative patch. I haven't tried the 1.33 with the latest drivers- but that would mean a fresh install of FarCry, and the installing every patch up to and including 1.33. I guess I should give that a shot though.

SlieTheSecond
01-24-07, 12:10 PM
You can remove patches for far cry. Just run the install for 1.4 again and it will ask you to remove it. I found this out after I had installed all the patches than had to reinstall the game. After installing it I went to apply the patches and it said they where already installed :p

Tho of course a fresh install would be better. But if you wanted to try just removing the patch it doesn't take any time.

Emanon
01-24-07, 01:02 PM
Thank you all for your help. Unfortunatly getting an Evga card would be quite expensive, since It looks like I would have to order it from an international online store. The toll and shipping would hurt my budget :( .
But I probably wont be clocking the card, I can live with out that nice warranty.
The card I am looking at, a Gainward, has a 3 year warranty and the Norwegian consumer laws are on my side if anything should go wrong.

The only remaining issue is the power supply. As I mentioned before I used a power calculator and I belive a Hiper Type-R 580W. (this is for a single GTX, 2-3 Hard Drives and one or two DVD-RWs). If thats not enough they have a 700W Futron/Source Epsilon. Its a bit more expensive, but I would hate to come up short.

Any help/experience you could offer would be helpful. :)