PDA

View Full Version : Can XP be installed to a 2nd PC after its been upgraded to Vista?

sillyeagle
01-24-07, 07:05 PM
I asked this in another thread but did not get a clear answer.

If my copy of XP becomes useless after upgrading to vista then I will have to get the full version of vista, as I'm going to need XP for another system.

OWA
01-24-07, 07:34 PM
I thought if you purchased an upgrade version of the OS, that you're not supposed to use the previous OS. I'd wait for someone to post a link to something concrete though.

Subtestube
01-24-07, 07:49 PM
To add corroboration but not confirmation - I think OWA is right. There may be a loophole whereby if you uninstalled the Upgrade version, and the original license was transferable, you'd then be allowed to move the old version to another PC, but I think that would be the only case. If you're actually using the upgrade version, and the copy of XP you're talking about is the version you 'upgraded from', then I'm almost certain you can't legally use that version of XP on any other devices.

nekrosoft13
01-24-07, 08:07 PM
I thought if you purchased an upgrade version of the OS, that you're not supposed to use the previous OS. I'd wait for someone to post a link to something concrete though.

thats right, installing upgrade doesn't mean you have two OS then

sillyeagle
01-24-07, 09:10 PM
Well that sucks. It was nice being able to upgrade from 9x to XP and still have a good copy of 9x to use.

AthlonXP1800
01-24-07, 09:41 PM
thats right, installing upgrade doesn't mean you have two OS then

Yes if Vista upgraded on top of XP but when you choose Vista install on other partition then it will be automatically dual boot with two OS.