PDA

View Full Version : Chkdsk Won't Run On Restart Of Windows

DasFox
01-24-07, 08:06 PM
After I went to the C drive and checked it to run a disk check on the drive at a reboot, now Windows won't boot up, either in Normal or safe mode.

I really don't know what is going on. I've never seen this before, what could be causing this.

I'm running chkdsk from the cd. Has there been any situations when you pick chkdsk to check the disk at a restart, it wouldn't let Windows boot, even into safe mode?

I've never seen this happen before, hmm

DasFox
01-24-07, 08:10 PM
Well after running it from the Windows CD and doing the Repair, and getting to the cmd prompt and running it from there, once it was done it said it repaired some erros, but Windows still won't boot up.

Darn I just don't get this, errrr :(

DasFox
01-25-07, 02:28 PM
I reinstalled XP, I've never seen chkdsk not let Windows bootup before and run the test, has anyone else?

THANKS

OWA
01-25-07, 02:57 PM
Yeah, when I first got the 8800s and made a very stupid mistake, I almost fried the motherboard. The result was mainly hosing my hard drives and it ended up in a state where chkdsk just seemed to make things worse and worse until I couldn't boot at all. I got it working again after switching SATA ports on the motherboard, deleting the partition and doing a full format (not the quick one, which would usually just fail on me).

I've also had a bad SATA cable cause a similiar thing (corruption that got worse with each chkdsk). I'd try switching cables also and see if you get anywhere.

mojoman0
01-25-07, 06:53 PM
I was having very similar problems recently, except chkdsk told me that there was one or more unrecoverable errors in the drive...i was sweating bullets having years of photos and documents on here...anyways after a reset it booted up just fine, phew...then wouldnt boot the next time. I switched sata ports and havent had the problem since...5 days and counting...