PDA

View Full Version : serious 6800GT problems - need help.

borango
01-25-07, 08:03 AM
Hi guys, I have a serious problem with my graphic card (Asus N6800GT Extreme PCI-Express, 256 MB DDR3), or so I believe, and am in need of help.
My specs are: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 3700+ CPU
2.21 GHz 2.00 GB od RAM 4x 512MB Supertalent CL2.5
MSI K8N Diamond (nForce4 SLI) MBO
250 GB, 7200 Rpm HDD
450W Power supply
Samsung 970P 19˝LCD
Windows XP, SP2
So, I'll try and give You a description of the problem. When playing games, after a while (cca 1-4min depending on the game), strange triangular shapes appear. Usually they go from the mouse point cursor in all directions (in 75% cases the go towards the lower half of the screen), but also appear in game's menus. First I though it's a driver issue, but after I tried more than 10 driver versions I realised that it had to be something else. So I started monitoring gpu core temperature on the graphic card. It became obvious that the problem was somehow heat related. When idle, the temp is around 66C. But when I start gaming after cca 1-4 min the temp raises above 80C and, guess what, the triangulars appear. That occurs regardless of video settings in the game, even at lower resolutions and low details (of course, AA & AF turned off). Ambient temp in the case is max 46C.
Sturmovik and Battlefield Vietnam or any newer game are virtually unplayable. Strangely enough, Battlefield 1942 seems to work fine and it doesn't raise the temp oft the card gpu like other games.
The card is within warranty so I had it checked the vendor says the card operates ok but suggested I install two additional fans. Ok, 1 Zalman 120m fan for the case and 1 Vantec spectrum PCI fan card (2 coolers) were installed. Obviously, that didn't fix the problem.
I've ran 3dmark 2006 and it scores 2383 marks! That confused me even more (I expected less to confirm my claim that the card is no good).
I've read through numerous forums and I know some of You with N6800 series cards face the same problem and that all comes down to lowering the temp but I don't want to have 20 fans buzzing around since I believe that the card should operate as it is and as it is marketed.
I'd appreciate any first hand advice or opinion on how to solve this. Some of You have discussed similar issues in http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56142.
I re-installed Smart doctor (Asus utility) and asus enhanced drivers and that only prolonged the time when the triangles appear (to max 3-4min).

Can it be connected with MBO's BIOS settings, some say memory leak (?), or with the size of the LCD screen (see how desperate I am) or is it "just" the card gone bad?
Screenshots (from BF Vietnam and IL-2) I took are too large to post, so I could e-mail them - will try to post them through URL upload later.
Thanks in advance

Ancient
01-25-07, 08:46 AM
Your idle and load temps are a bit high. The first thing you might want to try is removing the stock fan on the video card, cleaning the fan and gpu of any thermal compound, and then applying some Arctic Silver 5 or similar quality thermal compound and making sure the stock fan is reseated properly. See if that lowers the temps.

Get rid of that slot fan too. They are useless as teats on a boar hog.

To improve the ambient temps in your case, try using 1 fan on the front (inside) to draw air into the case and another at the rear to exhaust. Use good quality fans of at least 80mm, preferably larger. Done right, a flow is created that draws cool air across the components, exhuasts the heated air out the back, and should lower your ambient temps quite a bit. Usually your motherboard will have a couple of fan headers to attach the fans to and you can control the fan speed through BIOS settings or software in Windows as well.

Hope that helps.

john19055
01-25-07, 08:50 AM
If you know that it is a temperture problem ,then I would suggest you get a good after market cooler like the Zalman VF900Cu or some other one so that your tempertures would run lower.

Ancient
01-25-07, 09:21 AM
The only problem with aftermarket coolers is that, for most manufacturers, using one voids the warranty. Since his is still under warranty he should try to see if using better thermal compound fixes the problem. If that doesn't work he should RMA the card and request a replacement. He shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler to make the card function properly.

Also, since you're getting screen corruption, the damage may already be done and even reapplying thermal compound or using an aftermarket cooling solution may not fix the problem.

ynnek
01-25-07, 03:18 PM
Some vendors won't even want the user to do even that.

Just RMA it.

borango
01-26-07, 04:08 AM
Guys, thanks for Your input so far. but it seems that all comes down to fixing the simptoms (heat) and not solving the cause of the problem (hardware malfunction - finally = new card). due to warranty clause no changes on the card are possible - if the warranty expired already I'd surely take Your advice and try to save it if possible. yesterday my system scored 4997 marks on 3dmark2005. such score is ok compared to other similar system. am afraid that, when I warrant it, they'll run that test also and say that the card is ok since the system didn't crash and it scored well.
I attached some screenshots so You'll now what I'm talking about.

bottom line: I think that the card should work in any surroundings without any additional support (extra cooling), since when I bought it they didn't say that one must have also that and that to have the card operate optimaly. also I didn't OC my card - in such case, of course, additional cooling is a must.

SLippe
01-26-07, 04:26 AM
Wow, those screenshots are fooked!

The 6800's are well known for collecting dust and get very hot. The dust collects under the face plate around the edges of the fins near the fan. You can't see it unless you remove the face plate. I can't really imagine heat making your card do what it's doing in those screenshots, but you never know.

How long have you had your card?

If the dust removal doesn't help, I'd RMA it. Your PSU should be strong enough, but if it's a cheap brand, it could be the problem as well. What brand is your PSU? At this point, it sounds like a bad card. Keep us updated...

borango
01-26-07, 05:19 AM
SLippe, PSU is from Chieftec as well as the case, PSU was bought separately. I can't tell You the exact model name, since I'm not near my comp, but will do that later. The card was bought last June 2006 (I believe that N6800GT based VGA cards are by now discontinued), so it is in operation less than a year.

SLippe
01-26-07, 05:23 AM
SLippe, PSU is from Chieftec as well as the case, PSU was bought separately. I can't tell You the exact model name, since I'm not near my comp, but will do that later. The card was bought last June 2006 (I believe that N6800GT based VGA cards are by now discontinued), so it is in operation less than a year.
Have you ever cleaned the dust out of it in that year? Do you leave your comp running 24/7? I don't know anything about Chieftec.

j0j081
01-26-07, 05:55 AM
If you RMA you might get a better card like the 7800gs. I upgraded from a 6800gt to this because it was basically for free after selling my old card and the performance increase was a lot more than I expected. Nice to have fully working PureVideo as well and lower temps.

XFX Support
01-26-07, 12:29 PM
I would team with Asus and let them know the situation prior to any hardware modifications. If the card is artifacting, heat related or not an RMA is in order. Just let them know its not till the card gets to warm that you have problems, then they can let the card run overnight or "Hotbox" test the card. Keep them as well informed as you did us and you should have no problems.

XFX Support

Redeemed
01-26-07, 03:35 PM
I would team with Asus and let them know the situation prior to any hardware modifications. If the card is artifacting, heat related or not an RMA is in order. Just let them know its not till the card gets to warm that you have problems, then they can let the card run overnight or "Hotbox" test the card. Keep them as well informed as you did us and you should have no problems.

XFX Support

Well, there you go. ;) Not quite from ASUS, but should suffice. :D

XDanger
01-27-07, 11:20 AM
I get the same happening ,but only with Far Cry ,which ive heard doesn't like bad ram. Its a very strange thing, Happens on all except 1 resolution setting. Also only when I look at the island, Not indoors or looking out to sea.

borango
01-29-07, 05:20 AM
Have you ever cleaned the dust out of it in that year? Do you leave your comp running 24/7? I don't know anything about Chieftec.
the dust was cleaned twice - last time it was 3 weeks ago. the comp runs 3-4 hours on average daily.
just one thing bothers me - how is it that my comp has no problems at running 3dmark tests and scores relatively well (some 4990 marks on 2005 version) if the card is no good - the test lasts some 10min and the heat would be already well beyond the level where corrupiton appears.
after all our discussion I have decided to take it to the shop and ask for replacement for one last time, and see what they say. I suppose they'll act stupid on me and say "all is well", once again.
will let you now how that goes!
also, I'd like to thank all of You who took Your time to place your posts and try to help me.

CoSWill
01-29-07, 09:06 AM
Don't waste your time with the locals, send it to the manufacturer for RMA. It will save you headaches.

SLippe
01-29-07, 10:56 AM
Don't waste your time with the locals, send it to the manufacturer for RMA. It will save you headaches.
I second that!!