PDA

View Full Version : My new psu is here...

TonyM16
01-25-07, 09:16 AM
Shorting the psu

...becasue my previous one was borked. I need to test it , along with a few fans (can test both like this). i don't want to go the trouble of building my whole rig just to discover it's still borked. I could just plug it straight into the mobo and use my onboard power button, but my psu has protection and so will switch itself off if I do that without components. So I find out how to short the psu by connecting the green pin to the black pin using an electrical wire. I have tested this on another older psu, and I have my technique down.

Thing is this is a brand new psu that will be used with a powerful high end rig. Am I taking a risk by shorting it like this? Can I cause damage to the psu with this? Is it completely safe or not, to do this? HAs anyone ever seen a psu getting damaged by doing this?

Thank you.

Lazaredz
01-25-07, 09:23 AM
I BELIEVE you have it right (green to black), but wait for confirmation (or google) on this.

Sure you CAN damge your PSU doing this, but I find it unlikely if you are careful. Also, they do sell PSU testers if you'd rather be extra safe.

What did you get anyway? Just a replacement Tagan?

Roadhog
01-25-07, 09:37 AM
but dont start it without a load on it, like a hd or fans.

TonyM16
01-25-07, 09:41 AM
I BELIEVE you have it right (green to black), but wait for confirmation (or google) on this.

Sure you CAN damge your PSU doing this, but I find it unlikely if you are careful. Also, they do sell PSU testers if you'd rather be extra safe.

What did you get anyway? Just a replacement Tagan?

Yeah I had to go with Tagan 1100watt in the end. The Galaxy 1000 was another choice but after much research I found it offers nothing over the Tagan that would make it a worthwhile change (I like sli certification aswell:D ). I really wanted a single rail one like the Silverstone op1000, but I will have to wait until it debut's in the UK.

I am sure it's green to black, as I have an ATX extender cable. It's the same one I used with my older psu, it worked there. I did ojnce use the wrong pins , and I saw a large spark!! (don't worry I survived and so did the psu lol).

Can the psu get damaged even if you do it correctley? I may have to buy a psu tester though. Are they cheap?