PDA

View Full Version : Vista Question

johnkeel105
01-25-07, 06:03 PM
Currently I have my free copy of Windows Vista Business installed on my gaming pc. I am planning to get a laptop soon and it got me thinking. Can I uninstall Vista from this machine and move it over to a laptop without problem. I would think that it wouldn't be a problem, but noone has been real clear on this. Any help would be appriciated thx.

Subtestube
01-25-07, 06:05 PM
Currently I have my free copy of Windows Vista Business installed on my gaming pc. I am planning to get a laptop soon and it got me thinking. Can I uninstall Vista from this machine and move it over to a laptop without problem. I would think that it wouldn't be a problem, but noone has been real clear on this. Any help would be appriciated thx.

Depends what you mean by "your free copy" - is it an OEM copy or a retail boxed copy, or something else entirely? Retail copies can be transferred to a new device once uninstalled from the old one, however OEM copies are bound to the device they were first installed on.

johnkeel105
01-25-07, 06:08 PM
I got this through the Power Together campaign. Looking at it there is nothing mentioned about it being OEM.

RAY16
01-25-07, 06:21 PM
I also got a free copy from the Power Together campaign. After reading the EULA, I believe these copies carry a retail license. If you browse the DVD there's a directory with EULA's for each version. I read both the OEM and Retail License Agreements found on the disc, OEM says it's permanently bound to the machine it came with/is first installed on, and Retail doesn't (which I would assume means you can transfer it to another PC in the future). When installing my copy I made it a point to look at that section of the EULA to see if it was the OEM or Retail agreement and it appeared to me that it was the retail license and not the OEM one. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

johnkeel105
01-25-07, 07:53 PM
Thanks man thats really good to know.