PDA

View Full Version : Passive heatsink repair (pic)

Treason
01-25-07, 08:09 PM
Thanks to a game of tag and chase by the lil' ones, my sister-in-law's basic computer crashed to the carpet. She dropped off the computer at my house this morning and I found that the passive heatsink on the video card fell off.

I cleaned it up as much as I could, but I have no idea how to reattach the passive heatsink to the PCB. I think something snapped off. Can someone give me some instructions?

http://members.shaw.ca/sk5969/repair.jpg

einstein_314
01-25-07, 08:14 PM
Hmm, I'd say put the springs on the long pins and then press them down into the holes (through the heatsink holes into the holes on the PCB. Although it doesn't look like the ends of those pins spring outwards to lock in place. What is the inside of those other tubular pieces like? do they have someway of attaching to the pins?

Treason
01-25-07, 08:24 PM
Those tubular pieces are hollow like the top cap of a mechanical pencil, with a smaller diameter hole at the top. You're right though, the ends of the pins don't seem to lock onto anything on the other side of the board. I can't find any other pieces in the case though.

Lazaredz
01-25-07, 08:53 PM
Are they threaded?

RAY16
01-25-07, 08:57 PM
Looks to me like the tips of the pushpins broke off, you'll need new pins if you want to reattach it. I'm not sure where you can just buy heatsink pins by themselves, so if you can't find any after a while you may just have to buy a new heatsink.

Q
01-25-07, 09:07 PM
Pffffft.

I see holes in the heatsink and the card. You know what I'd do? And have done!

Use thin gauge electrical wire (with a good coating) and tie the bitch on. That's how I kept the backplate on the memory of my 7800GTX when I was using the NV Silencer. Either that or get some 3M double sided thermal tape. Either will do well enough for that card as long as there is solid contact.

stevemedes
01-25-07, 09:10 PM
put 4 small dots of superglue, one on each corner of the chip, then fill the rest with thermal paste, then put the heatsink back on top and press it firmly down. wait for it to dry, then ur good to go!

Lazaredz
01-25-07, 10:42 PM
Qlitch is on the right track. If you can't find all the parts, or it doesn't seem to be working, taking the card and heatsink to Home Depot/Lowes and find some bolts/washers/nuts that will fit. Be sure to grab some small O-rings to keep from making contact with the board and you should be good.

Also, re-apply new thermal grease (making sure to clean all the old stuff off)

Treason
01-26-07, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!