PDA

View Full Version : 97.46 vista drivers using turbocache on 7900GTX???

Jon
01-26-07, 06:55 AM
Hi, I'm not sure whether this is correct or not... but in vista where it says about make/model of gpu and memory size, my gpu memory is 512mb which is correct and that 271mb of system memory is allocated to turbocache!

This doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else seen/got this? Any way it can be disabled cause I would rather have the 271mb of system memory for other things. I didn't think 7900GTX was a turbocache card either.

SLippe
01-26-07, 07:07 AM
Turbocache was introduced with the 6 series cards. From what I have found at nvidia.com, all cards since have it.

Jon
01-26-07, 07:22 AM
I remember reading about it, but thought it was only cards that had little or no onboard memory (32mb or less) which used it. I don't remember XP setting aside memory for it.

SLippe
01-26-07, 07:26 AM
Turbocache was introduced with the 6 series cards. From what I have found at nvidia.com, all cards since have it.
Well, I stand corrected. According to Wikipedia only the 6200, 7100, and 7300 have that, but sounds like it could be up to the manufacturer also. If you have your card's box, take a look at it and see if there is anything on there about it.

Jon
01-26-07, 07:31 AM
As far as I know, mines not a turbocache card. But vista is still allocating memory for it as if it was. Somehow I doubt this will help performance for me.

http://www.bfgtech.com/7900GTX_512_PCIX.html

No mention of turbocache on their website either.

Jimi
01-26-07, 09:00 AM
Hi, I'm not sure whether this is correct or not... but in vista where it says about make/model of gpu and memory size, my gpu memory is 512mb which is correct and that 271mb of system memory is allocated to turbocache!

This doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else seen/got this? Any way it can be disabled cause I would rather have the 271mb of system memory for other things. I didn't think 7900GTX was a turbocache card either.

Hi

I dont think its Turbocache on your 7900, I think its just what vista is doing now for memory.

There is a white paper on microsoft's site that is about how graphics memory allocation is different under windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/graphicsmemory.mspx

Jon
01-26-07, 10:03 AM
Hi, I've just had a look through the white paper. If I understand it correctly then they are saying that in XP for example a gpu was reported as having 256mb of ram... But in reality it only had 128mb on board and 128mb shared system memory. So Vista now displays the seperate values.

At the moment Vista reports my GPU has a total of 783mb available. 512mb onboard and 271mb turbocache. But, my card is only the 512mb version anyway and as far as I know it doesn't have turbocache.

Demon_82
01-26-07, 11:01 AM
What you see as memory shared for the videocard isn't TurboCache, is jsut that, shared memory. Windows Vista allocates a number of MB from your main memory to operate with the graphics card on it's own, without any relation to it being a nVidia or ATi card, and independently of TurboCache or HyperMemory.

My card has 256MB GDDR3 and it has 526MB of system DDR2 allocated for it's use if needed for texture storage, making a total of 782MB for graphics. Previous Windows versions will only report the 256MB on the graphics board, not the ones that through AGP or PCI-e it could use auxiliarily, mainly because it wasn't really used ever except in low end TC/HM cards, and also because it was managed from the card and not from the operative system, as is the case of the shared memory of Vista. It's a similar concept, but it's still different.

Jon
01-26-07, 05:06 PM
Ah, I have seen the error of my ways now. I was convinced it said turbocache... but it is actually shared memory. What got me thinking turbocache is in the nvidia release notes its says they upped turbocache to 271mb which is the same size as the shared system cache.

I'll get some sleep for now.