PDA

View Full Version : Vista and disk access

Jwoc
01-26-07, 03:55 PM
Question, I just installed the 32 bit Premium addition (OEM). I have 2gb ram. It seems to be accessing the hard drive constantly, not the case under XP Prem? I've turned off a couple of the gagets, RSS, Photos etc. Continues to access. Playing 2142, a little jurky, seems to get better as I play (could be my imagination). 7950GX2, 6600. I use Avast for virus. Any ideas? Again, didn't have with XP. I use the computer for photo quite a bit and CS3 runs like a charm.....Thanks!

Goran
01-26-07, 04:08 PM
It is probably the Indexing Service. Let it do it first run, then it should calm down. Or turn of Indexing service completely.

einstein_314
01-26-07, 08:28 PM
It is probably the Indexing Service. Let it do it first run, then it should calm down. Or turn of Indexing service completely.
That's exactly what it is. It drove me nuts at first too...but now that it's done it it doesn't access the hard drive at all really.

XDanger
01-26-07, 09:15 PM
Why not turn the thread into a "perfect vista setup guide" ,
Starting with Turn Of Indexing.

The answer "NO" is perfectly acceptable. :thumbdwn:

:D

j0j081
01-26-07, 09:26 PM
I found the same thing when I was beta testing it but I had to disable indexing service and Windows Defender to completely get rid of it.

jAkUp
01-26-07, 10:21 PM
Yea, always turn of indexing.

einstein_314
01-26-07, 11:25 PM
Yea, always turn of indexing.
Maybe for a hardcore gamer and only game....but if you ever need to search for anything...having the drive indexed is awesome.

Jwoc
01-26-07, 11:30 PM
Ok, as I type this...I thought I had turned it off (un checked all the boxes) but it is accessing right now at a very constant rate? I havn't found anything that just says to turn it "off"? Am I doing something wrong? I just turned off the automatic Defender scan and I will see if that helps.....I appreciate everyones help!

jAkUp
01-26-07, 11:32 PM
Maybe for a hardcore gamer and only game....but if you ever need to search for anything...having the drive indexed is awesome.

I dunno, to me game performance takes priority over saving an extra few seconds when doing a search :)

Here is my Vista tweak guide :D

1. Kill UAC
2. Kill indexing
3. Kill Defender, and security center
4. Kill automatic updates
5. Kill system restore
6. Kill remote access
7. Kill Windows Sidebar
8. Kill all unnecessary services in services.msc
9. Kill all unnecessary startup items in msconfig
10. Disable screensaver
11. Disable stickey keys
12. Disable hide extensions for known file types

I still leave Aero because I like it, but Vista needs more tuning to get it running good than XP did.

Jwoc
01-26-07, 11:38 PM
It's also REALLY annoying!

It's now quiet...seems to have been Defender?

Thanks all! Now to test Battlefield 2142!

Q
01-26-07, 11:46 PM
I dunno, to me game performance takes priority over saving an extra few seconds when doing a search :)

1. Kill UAC
2. Kill indexing
5. Kill system restore
6. Kill remote access
7. Kill Windows Sidebar
10. Disable screensaver
11. Disable stickey keys

I still leave Aero because I like it, but Vista needs more tuning to get it running good than XP did.

So you pretty much make it XP with DX10 support?

Rakeesh
01-27-07, 12:59 AM

With pretty much every windows version since 98, I've always disabled all of the graphical "enhancements" that they've added to the shell in the interest of performance.

But AERO actually frees up the CPU by making the graphics card do all of the rendering instead. This is nice while e.g. doing a video encode, an unrar, etc as those programs now have more of the CPU to use while they are doing their thing, and games don't see a performance hit by having it enabled either.

RAY16
01-27-07, 02:31 AM

I've killed defender and the Security Center service, but the Security Center Icon still shows up at boot, how'd you get it to stay gone? I don't see it in the startup programs list in msconfig, is it a registry entry?

XDanger
01-27-07, 07:40 AM

1. Kill UAC
2. Kill indexing
5. Kill system restore
6. Kill remote access
7. Kill Windows Sidebar
10. Disable screensaver
11. Disable stickey keys

Is there any way you could be MUCH more specific with 8.
That is asking a bit much though I know.

SH0DAN
01-28-07, 04:58 PM
Does anyone know of a good well tested Vista 'tweak guide',like all the ones on the net already for XP/ME/98SE etc.. ? Like say BlackVipers famous 2K/XP guides ?

Blacklash
01-28-07, 05:37 PM
Yeah I basically do most of "Blackviper's Tweaks" myself. Turning off system restore helped a lot with game hitching in past.

Many services are not needed on a stand alone rig that is not part of a network and some are security hazards. Some folks unload aero when they game. I haven't tried off vs on yet because my copy of Vista hasn't shipped yet :p

Try the entry on this page that says "Service Guide for XP".

http://www.theeldergeek.com/s.htm

Turn off what is non essential to boost performance. Each service is explained. I set the ones that aren't a security risk to manual so they can fire up if needed. If anyone knows of a like guide for Vista, link it.

LycosV
01-28-07, 06:04 PM

1. Kill UAC
2. Kill indexing
5. Kill system restore
6. Kill remote access
7. Kill Windows Sidebar
10. Disable screensaver
11. Disable stickey keys

Maybe it's just me but I don't think any of those make a significant impact on your gaming performance. If you turn indexing off won't you loose the start menu instant searching? That's one of the best features in my opinion.
Of course I totally agree on 11 and 12, darned stickykeys.

j0j081
01-28-07, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know of a good well tested Vista 'tweak guide',like all the ones on the net already for XP/ME/98SE etc.. ? Like say BlackVipers famous 2K/XP guides ?
I don't know if this is well tested but the thread has received a fair amount of feedback. Check it out.

Windows Vista: Disabling Services

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=513758

agentkay
01-28-07, 06:49 PM

1. Kill UAC
2. Kill indexing
5. Kill system restore
6. Kill remote access
7. Kill Windows Sidebar
10. Disable screensaver
11. Disable stickey keys

Jakup, is it possible to create multiple user accounts in Vista, maybe a High Performance one where you do all the performance related tweaks (and others) that you mentioned and use this account for games and benchmarks and create a regular account with all Vista features and security enabled that can be used for surfing the net or regular work in Vista.

Or are some of the tweaks you mentioned actually global tweaks that affect all user accounts equally?

Rakeesh
01-28-07, 08:08 PM
No way! I don't want to disable all these Vista features. I love Dashboard, Exposť and especially Spotlight on the Mac. I want to have these very useful features in Vista now as well :)

Yeah but, you don't run games on a mac. We're gamers; both macintoshes and these features are worthless to us.

Besides, if you have a brain, spotlight is useless, and if you have an alt-tab that works worth a damn, so is expose.