PDA

View Full Version : Has everyone gone P24?

TonyM16
01-26-07, 05:45 PM
Hi, I have been out of commission with my PC for around a week or so because of my PSU and buying a new PC case and heatsink, and also rma'ing my evga 680i becasue I screwdrivered it as I tried peeling of my previous heatsink's backplate (many sleepless nights tossing and turning!!). I am taking my time to rebuild it as I want world class build quality like Voodoo. I want really clean wiring and airflow.

Anyway I have been debating what to do with my mobo. Last time I flashed the default P20 bios straight to P23 as it was the best at the time and newest. I found it stable and great. well now we have P24 and there doesn't seem to be much inof on it and it doesn't do anything major like how P23 did. So which bios should I flash to, P23 or P24? I really am not sure. I mean do I stick with what I know and was happy enough with (P23) or do I foray in to the unknown by flashing to a bios i know diddly squat about(P24)? The other choice is just use P23 for now and wait on P25. Opinions please. :D

Also what about you guys. Has everyone with the evga here gone P24 and been happy with IT? Yeah there is another P24 thread, but that one has died out completely and didn't have that much information that I would need.

Thank you.(nana2)

PS. Pray for me please, I am hoping to be back in action tomorrow;) .

jAkUp
01-26-07, 05:47 PM
Go for P24 :)

Xion X2
01-26-07, 05:52 PM
P24 here, and it's working great so far. Over a week without a BSOD or lockups of any kind.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-26-07, 06:05 PM
P23 still:lol:

haven't had any problems so I don't know if I want to change...

TonyM16
01-26-07, 06:07 PM
That sounds great so for someone who didn't have those kinds of issues, (no crashes or bsods for me thank god, but no it wasn't a bsod or crash that got me, it was a damn screwdriver!) would that mean I get even greater performance instead of just plain old stability :p

Thanks guys , looks like I am gonna do P24 and hope it's at least as good as P23. Fingers crossed.

PS. I read somewhere that people flashing to P24 found a new hardware in their device manager. Whats that about?

Cheers:)

LORD-eX-Bu
01-26-07, 06:18 PM
its an integrated R600:p

vandalous
01-26-07, 07:03 PM
I stayed on P23. Nothing compelling to move to P24 that I could tell.

Rayman1968
01-26-07, 08:23 PM
P23. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TonyM16
01-27-07, 12:55 AM
-LORD-eX-Bu']its an integrated R600:p

WOW thats so cool...(rushes of to build the PC and test out my new R600!!)(nana2)

:p

Classic :D

Mr_LoL
01-27-07, 01:20 AM
When will these motherboards be shipping with the updated bioses? I might upgrade to these in March and I dont want to participate in Nvidias shameful public beta testing.

TonyM16
01-28-07, 12:59 AM
Okay I just flashed to P24 and it's reporting temps alor higher than before. It's higher by about 10c. Thats alot. Who is correct P23 or P24? I feel like going back to P23 now. For some reason smart fan just doesn't work either.

Has anyone else noticed higher temps for this?

PS. I am not sure about my heat sink process. I think I may have used a bit too much AS5. Should I go thorugh the tediuos task of redoing it (which will entail alot of work as the PC is complete now) or does it not really make that much difference. I was trying to do that line thing , but I just ended up with too much everywhere.

tacos4me
01-28-07, 01:02 AM
Okay I just flashed to P24 and it's reporting temps alor higher than before. It's higher by about 10c. Thats alot. Who is correct P23 or P24? I feel like going back to P23 now. For some reason smart fan just doesn't work either.

Has anyone else noticed higher temps for this?

PS. I am not sure about my heat sink process. I think I may have used a bit too much AS5. Should I go thorugh the tediuos task of redoing it (which will entail alot of work as the PC is complete now) or does it not really make that much difference. I was trying to do that line thing , but I just ended up with too much everywhere.

That was one of the big fixes for P24. I noticed it as well. Temps are on par with TAT/Core Temp for me @ P24.

Bokishi
01-28-07, 06:06 AM
I'm P23 and and I don't see any reason to change

TonyM16
01-28-07, 08:04 AM
That was one of the big fixes for P24. I noticed it as well. Temps are on par with TAT/Core Temp for me @ P24.

My Tat also says 24c, but within the bios it says 35-40c . Core temp also confirem 21c. When I do thermal load it goes nto about 40c, What is going on. This can't be right.

EDIT:Okay guys I have a guess on whats going on but I need somone to confirm it. If both temps are correct , could it be that Tat as it takes reading from the cpu is uneffected by my chipset fan airflow, but where as the mobo takes reading from the sensor is effected from the chipset fan airflow?

This would also explain why peopple with water cooling get the same temps in both tat and mobo withg P24 as they don't need airflow. Man this really is strange and I think I am the first person who gets higher temps in bios. I don't know if |i should rechek my heatsink or not.

TonyM16
01-29-07, 07:06 AM
Really sorry for bumping, but I really want to know why my bios reads out so much higher temps than Intel TAT and Core2 beta temp reader. The bios reads out at 36-41c!. Thats stupidly high for a Tuniq Tower and a stock E6600 and coolermaster case.

But within windows when using TAT or Core2 beta I get and idle of in the very low 20'sc. Even 100% thermal load on TAT my cpu doesn't go higher than 42c. Whats going on? Please anbody know who to trust? Everyone keeps saying how that the bios temp reader has been fixed and is now the same as TAT, but this clearly isn't the case for me. With P23 the bios would read 26-31c. So P23 was alot closer to my TAT read out. Should I go back to P23? Should I reapply as2? Thanks.

Xion X2
01-29-07, 09:09 AM
The bios reads out at 36-41c!. Thats stupidly high for a Tuniq Tower and a stock E6600 and coolermaster case.

Do I read you right that you're saying your 6400 is at stock speeds here? Or at the OC in your sig? Because if it's at your OC, that isn't strange at all; the Tuniq mostly helps under load just like all the other aftermarket coolers out there.

Mine idles around 41C, and I'm on water. So if yours is idling at 41C w/ an overclock that's a good thing.

Look, just go by what CoreTemp says. That is what everyone uses and seems to report the most accurate temps.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

TonyM16
01-29-07, 10:01 AM
Do I read you right that you're saying your 6400 is at stock speeds here? Or at the OC in your sig? Because if it's at your OC, that isn't strange at all; the Tuniq mostly helps under load just like all the other aftermarket coolers out there.

Mine idles around 41C, and I'm on water. So if yours is idling at 41C w/ an overclock that's a good thing.

Look, just go by what CoreTemp says. That is what everyone uses and seems to report the most accurate temps.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

No thats my E6600 STOCK speed, without overclock. Remember I had to get a new board. I am already using coretemp beta nd TAT.

The question is why does INTEL TAT and Coretemp beta say 20-24c in windows. Even speedfan doesn't show anything. Only my bios says 41c. 41c is very high for a idle stock E6600. 24c is real cool, but who is right TAT and Corebeta or my bios? In P23 the bios claimed 31c and my Tat read 22c. Whats going on? Somebody is wrong here.

Xion X2
01-29-07, 10:14 AM
Don't worry about what the BIOS says. Why are you so concerned about it? Go by what CoreTemp and TAT say your temps are since they take them directly from the core.

I think your BIOS reads off a sensor somewhere off your board; maybe it's next to something that's heating it up.

I don't know of any enthusiast that really trusts what temps in the BIOS say.

Also, can you not feel around the CPU and see which temp seems more accurate? 24C is close to ambient while 41C will be a tad warm.

TonyM16
01-29-07, 10:27 AM
Don't worry about what the BIOS says. Why are you so concerned about it? Go by what CoreTemp and TAT say your temps are since they take them directly from the core.

I think your BIOS reads off a sensor somewhere off your board; maybe it's next to something that's heating it up.

I don't know of any enthusiast that really trusts what temps in the BIOS say.

Also, can you not feel around the CPU and see which temp seems more accurate? 24C is close to ambient while 41C will be a tad warm.

The tower is cold, as is the area around when idle. I was thinking the same thing, that maybe the bios is reading from a place where the chipset fan is blowing on to as the chipset temp and my cpu temp in bios was close (41-51c) . TAT is reading from the chip directly and os is the one to trust right?

If thats the case that means the Tuniq Tower is a fabulous peace of kit. It's spinning at 1000rpm is completley silent and is giving me 21-24c idel temp/ The big typhoon at max speed gave me 32c-35c at the same idleness. This means 3.6ghz should be well within my reach. Tnaks XionX2. :captnkill:

I was concerend because everyone was saying that the bios now reads the correct temp and is fixed. So I thought maybe that TAT was wrong.