PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Vista Ultimate 64-bit please

kam03
01-26-07, 07:49 PM
I'm really confused with vista versions. I'm looking to buy vista ultimate 64-bit but which version? oem, retail or upgrade?

Does the oem version allow unlimited re-installation? if i format my computer or upgrade my hardware, which i do every 6 months or so.

Thanks

Yoshi
01-26-07, 07:57 PM
If you upgrade your motherboard every 6 months, then get the retail.
If not then go with the oem it's way cheaper.

sillyeagle
01-26-07, 08:29 PM
Yeah its quite confusing. I don't understand why they don't release some kind of guide. Even the people that are on the forums are not too clear. lol

From what I gathered OEM is bound to the MBD you install to initially, so if you plan to EVER upgrade your board you better get retail and not OEM, but I am not clear as to whether this is actually the case. lol

XDanger
01-26-07, 10:03 PM
if oem is what you get installed in a ready made then you just call m$ to re-activate it, unless they changed the rules for vista

agentkay
01-27-07, 06:21 AM
If OEM is bound to the mainboard, and it dies like a week later, does this mean that I can throw away Vista? If I only have to call MS support, and can still use Vista, then Im certainly getting OEM.

Xion X2
01-27-07, 06:37 AM
I don't know how much they've changed it, but I had 3 different motherboards in my last build in the span of 8 months and was able to install an OEM copy of XP every time. Once or twice I had to call in to support, but I never had a problem (and this included the 5-6 times I formatted, as well.)

So, needless to say I went OEM again this time around w/ Home Premium 64 and saved myself a hundred bucks.