PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 Sucks with Xbox 360 Controller

Q
01-26-07, 06:54 PM
Have fun getting the XBCD drivers for an Xbox 360 controller working under Vista 64. The XP64 should work, but it doesn't. The driver will install but won't initialize.

Why am I using a third party driver?

The default MS ones won't let you set a deadzone, use the analog sticks full range, or set the triggers as buttons. Pinnacle Profiler, a $20 application, will allow you to set a deadzone but the driver itself still limits the use of the full range.

MS knocks another one out of the park. There is ZERO excuse for the Xbox 360 driver to be this bad. They've had over a year to get a decent one out. I can't believe people have to pay to set a damn deadzone.

I'd like to see someone try to defend Microsoft on this one.

jAkUp
01-26-07, 07:01 PM
Hmm, I will check it out, when I tried it, it appeared to be working ok...

Q
01-26-07, 07:04 PM
Hmm, I will check it out, when I tried it, it appeared to be working ok...

The XBCD drivers? There are 3039284u90 supposed "working" versions floating around for either XP64 and maybe Vista64. If you have a working version, would you mind uploading them?

jAkUp
01-26-07, 07:25 PM
The driver I received was from windows update... seems like a basic driver, but it works... need to test the triggers though.

Q
01-26-07, 07:36 PM
The driver I received was from windows update... seems like a basic driver, but it works... need to test the triggers though.

The basic driver works fine. Its built into Vista and a new version is available from Windows Update.

However, the basic MS driver lacks the ability to set a deadzone, use the full range on the analog sticks, and use the triggers as buttons. The XBCD drivers allowed all of this, but the guy who made them stopped supporting them over a year ago.

But why do those things I listed make me so angry? Here are some examples.

Inability to set Deadzone
In racing games, like NFS: Most Wanted, its nearly imposible to drive in a straight line. The car pulls to the left or right depending on your controller.

Inability to use full range of analog stick
In action games, like Marvel Ultimate Alliance or X-Men Legends, your character moves at half speed. When full range is enabled using XBCD drivers, for example, your character can move at full speed.

Inability to use triggers as buttons
In most games you can't map the triggers at all. This means that you loose a total of two buttons on your controller. Two well positioned buttons, I must add.

These issues are UNACCEPTABLE. The XBCD driver alleviated these issues in XP and Vista32 but there seems to be no way to fix these issues completely in Vista 64. Pinnacle Profiler will allow you to fix the Deadzone and Trigger issues, but costs $20 and still doesn't fix the full range issue. If you add the cost of this extra software to the price of the controller, you're looking at a $60-$70 crippled controller.

RAY16
01-26-07, 07:42 PM
The 360 controllers lack of proper drivers/configuration software is disgusting. LETS FLOOD THEM WITH ANGRY EMAILS!

Redeemed
01-26-07, 07:55 PM
The 360 controllers lack of proper drivers/configuration software is disgusting. LETS FLOOD THEM WITH ANGRY EMAILS!

lol You go right ahead and do that. :)

RAY16
01-26-07, 09:46 PM
lol You go right ahead and do that. :)

What? Angry emails work, I swear!

Q
01-26-07, 11:54 PM
MS doesn't care. They're going to sell 360 controllers either way. Very unethical and typical of "old school" Microsoft.

LycosV
01-27-07, 12:40 AM
I don't know if it works in Vista, but I used this cool program called DXtweak2 that allowed me to change a bunch of my Sidewinder wheel settings in XP. It's free and I found it here: http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm

Based on the name and my (limited) understanding of how controllers work in Windows it seems to modify settings of DirectX to allow more control over any controller on your system.

Q
01-27-07, 01:29 PM
I don't know if it works in Vista, but I used this cool program called DXtweak2 that allowed me to change a bunch of my Sidewinder wheel settings in XP. It's free and I found it here: http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm

Based on the name and my (limited) understanding of how controllers work in Windows it seems to modify settings of DirectX to allow more control over any controller on your system.

I see how it could be useful... I used to use that for my MS Force Feedback wheel. Doesn't help too much for the controller, though.

LycosV
01-28-07, 03:48 AM
I see how it could be useful... I used to use that for my MS Force Feedback wheel. Doesn't help too much for the controller, though.

Does it not allow you to mess with the controller? Or does it not have the settings you're looking for?

Q
01-28-07, 05:59 PM
Does it not allow you to mess with the controller? Or does it not have the settings you're looking for?

In the XBCD drivers, there is an option that will allow you to pick "full range". The utility you mentioned won't allow me to extend the range pass the range embedded in the original drivers. DX options won't override what's embedded as the maximums defined in the drivers.

saturnotaku
01-28-07, 07:48 PM
Inability to use triggers as buttons
In most games you can't map the triggers at all. This means that you loose a total of two buttons on your controller. Two well positioned buttons, I must add.

That's what annoyed me most about the MS drivers. I hope there's a newer release of XBCD that fixes Vista compatibility.