PDA

View Full Version : vsync does not work in window mode

jojobean
01-28-07, 08:14 AM
I'm using an eVGA 8800 GTX with the v97.72 GeForce 8800 Series WinXP driver. When I play a game in window mode (Guild Wars), I noticed that vsync isn't really on. The game has an option to turn vsync on or off. When I keep it on in the game and the control panel says to use the game's setting, vsync does not really work (I still see tearing). Even when I force vsync to be on in the control panel it won't really stop the tearing. Turnving vsync on (via the game or the control panel) will limit the frames per second to a maximum of 60, however, the frame rate will fluctuate between 40 and 60. Triple buffering doesn't help much with the frame rate or the tearing while in window mode. When I play Guild Wars in full screen (and other games in full screen) then vsync works properly and the framerate almost always stays at 60 fps; I do not get the fluctuating frame rate in Guild Wars when I play it in full screen.

I used an ATI Radeon 1900 XT for about a month and ATI's "force vsync on" feature actually worked in Guild Wars in window mode, so I don't think it's Guild Wars causing the tearing.

Is there a known problem with the nvidia drivers and vsync?