PDA

View Full Version : nVidia 7900GS: LCD goes blank and back on now and then

Pages : [1] 2

csh
01-28-07, 06:11 PM
[originally posted this message in the wrong forum]

Every once in awhile, my LCD monitor will go blank and then come back on. I mean it just goes blank: it doesn't actually shut off like some people report.

This is with an EVGA 7900GS KO, and the latest drivers.

It happens in Windows and Linux both, but more often in Windows, a lot more often. In fact, I'm not certain it happens in Linux at all, as I could not reproduce the problem there.

[EDIT: I am unable to duplicate this problem under Linux, the latest driver, and XOrg server 6.9. Therefore, it appears to just be a Windows issue. If I see the problem in Linux, I'll update this thread.]

The LCD monitor didn't show this problem on other systems or graphics cards.

When I upgraded the card, I put Linux and Windows on the latest drivers because the 9629-33 series had problems.

I never have any issues with Linux, Windows, applications or games on either OS. Frame rates are very good, quality is good, etc.

The card is running stock speeds, and a monitoring program shows the GPU peaks at around 61C, but usually stays around 55C.

NOTE: so far it is only on the desktop that I see the blanking, I just mentioned the maximum temperature as a data point to show the card isn't excessively hot in the case even under stress.

I have so far never seen the screen go blank while a game or OpenGL application was in fullscreen mode.

Any ideas?

Is there a way to trigger this problem easily so I can test faster? Right now, I have to change a setting and then sit and wait until it happens, which can be some time.

Slammin
01-28-07, 09:35 PM
Might be a long shot but my screen blanks out for just a split second when I'm running Vista. It took me the longest to figure out what it was but it turns out it is Speedfan causing it!

csh
01-28-07, 10:32 PM
Might be a long shot but my screen blanks out for just a split second when I'm running Vista. It took me the longest to figure out what it was but it turns out it is Speedfan causing it!

I don't have speedfan running, as it doesn't work for my motherboard.

Interesting though, that it caused your screen to blank. It shouldn't have had any effect at all.

Saintster
01-28-07, 11:20 PM
Mine does the exact same thing from time to time. I thought it was a driver bug. So you are not alone with this.

csh
01-29-07, 10:30 AM
Mine does the exact same thing from time to time. I thought it was a driver bug. So you are not alone with this.

A lot of people seem to be having this problem lately.

The odd thing is that it only happens when on the desktop. So far I've never seen it happen in a game or an OpenGL fullscreen application.

The unpredictable nature of it makes it hard to try and test because you change something and might have to wait for hours to catch it happening.

SeraTech
01-29-07, 12:28 PM
My system does that from time to time. While in desktop and in benchmarks (3DMarks are the worst because it always happens). First time it did that, a note stated that it was because of SLI.

Don't know what it is, but it doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't happen in any games.

csh
01-29-07, 12:40 PM
My system does that from time to time. While in desktop and in benchmarks (3DMarks are the worst because it always happens). First time it did that, a note stated that it was because of SLI.

Don't know what it is, but it doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't happen in any games.

I don't have SLI.

I didn't notice it during 3DMark or any 3D application.

So far it only happens in 2D mode.

Of course, now that I've said that, it will start happening in game. Murphy's Law and all that.

superklye
01-29-07, 12:50 PM
What monitor do you have?

SeraTech
01-29-07, 01:29 PM
I don't have SLI.

I also get the blank screen when not using SLI.

csh
01-29-07, 01:30 PM
What monitor do you have?

It's a Samsung 204B.

The card is set to generate a 60Hz signal, which is what the LCD wants.

The LCD had no problems with other systems and video cards.

SeraTech
01-29-07, 01:32 PM
It's a Samsung 204B.

The card is set to generate a 60Hz signal, which is what the LCD wants.

The LCD had no problems with other systems and video cards.

Interesting as I have a Samsung 225BW. Could be the screen with certain video cards perhaps.

csh
01-29-07, 02:01 PM
Interesting as I have a Samsung 225BW. Could be the screen with certain video cards perhaps.

LCDs blank if the signal changes. They do it when switching resolution, for example. When the signal changes, they have to sync to it.

The card should never change the signal except when switching resolution.

If the LCD works with one card, then it should work with any of them that provide a steady signal.

Some people have suggested that recent nVidia drivers aren't locking the refresh rate, which affects LCDs that can only support a single refresh rate. I don't know if they are just assuming this to be true, or if they tested with a scope to be sure.

Saintster
01-29-07, 02:16 PM
A lot of people seem to be having this problem lately.

The odd thing is that it only happens when on the desktop. So far I've never seen it happen in a game or an OpenGL fullscreen application.

The unpredictable nature of it makes it hard to try and test because you change something and might have to wait for hours to catch it happening.

I hear ya .My screen goes blank as yours does just when on the desktop. It has never done it playing games thank god.

pingu2
02-13-07, 09:04 AM
I am also getting the same problem when running speedfan - it also flicks off for a fraction of a second during games and sometimes causes the games to run really slowly.. a couple of times it has caused media player to crash or lock up..

going to try fiddling with the speedfan command line switches tonight and see if that helps..

asus a8n32, 2x7800gtx driver 100.59

pingu2
02-13-07, 01:23 PM
adding

/nonvidiaic2

to the speedfan commandline has fixed the problem for me (nana2)

Lotus02
02-26-07, 01:22 AM
Hi
I have exactly the same problem with my Gigabyte 7900gs. Screen goes black in desktop applications especialy when i try to scroll in windows ( such as browser, email client, explorer). In 3D everything is fine, got 5880 marks in 3Dmark06 without any tuning. GPU temperature in 2D not exceed 33C.

PC is running under windows XP with latest nvidia drivers available from official site (93.71 as far as i remember).

my config is:
CPU Core 2 duo E4300
MB Asus p5b Deluxe
VID Gygabyte GV-NX79G256DP-RH
RAM 2x 1024 pc2 667 Kingston
HDD 2x seagate 160gb ide
CASE 3R R700 (350wt)

I have posted similiar message on Russian gigabyte support forum, but still no decent answer.

jsimmons
03-07-07, 01:45 PM
I have a eVGA 7900GTX that does this - also in 2D mode only. I'm not running SpeedFan, and I'm not overclocking. When it happens to me, the screen freezes up in that I can move the mouse around, but I can't click on anything. Rebooting fixes it for a while.

Lotus02
03-09-07, 04:47 AM
I have a eVGA 7900GTX that does this - also in 2D mode only. I'm not running SpeedFan, and I'm not overclocking. When it happens to me, the screen freezes up in that I can move the mouse around, but I can't click on anything. Rebooting fixes it for a while.
Can you please write your configuration here, so we can compare setups and, maybe, find something that will help solve this problem.
P.S.
Fore some reason i can't edit my previous message. I just wanto say that i changed PSU to HyperX 530 W and it did not helped.

Lotus02
03-11-07, 04:17 PM
I think i solved this problem. Need to do some testing, will report results here.

grimreefer
03-14-07, 06:46 AM
i kinda have the same thing on occasion. its a bug with the 93.71 driver

Lotus02
03-14-07, 07:12 AM
OK, i'm still overloaded with work so i have not properly tested changes to my PC configuratoin.
Now the solution.
I had 2 IDE Seagate 160 GB drives connected throu onboard Jmicron IDE controller, system one and data one. I bought IDE->SATA converter and replugged system HDD via this converter to onboard ICH8R SATA controller. All 2D hangs and blank screens has gone.
I have not reinstall any drivers or programms. I have not reinstall Windows (thats looks strange to me, i thought it will not work with new controller without reinstalation).
I'm not sure, that replugging HDD itself eleminated the problem, maybe that was some unseen changes that system made silently when starting new configuration, but i have got desired result :)
As i said, i have not tested the system cause i have no time for this now. At least everything looks fine.
Hope that will help.

csh
05-01-07, 01:46 PM
I am also getting the same problem when running speedfan - it also flicks off for a fraction of a second during games and sometimes causes the games to run really slowly.. a couple of times it has caused media player to crash or lock up..

going to try fiddling with the speedfan command line switches tonight and see if that helps..

asus a8n32, 2x7800gtx driver 100.59

I can hear my fan changing speed as I push the GPU, and temperature is always fine.

I don't think the fans have anything to do with this, because it is very rare that the blanking occurs when running a game and pushing the GPU hard.

Most of the time it happens at the desktop, under no load at all.

wbt
05-05-07, 02:18 PM
If you are using a Samsung 204b monitor, see <http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82982> for the fix.

winders
03-18-08, 03:58 AM
Folks,

I have a 204b and an 8800GTS card. I recently upgraded to Vista (32) and installed the new 169.44 driver. When I was running XP Pro, I had made "CVT Reduced Blank" change and eliminated the blanking issues I had experienced.

Well, the blanking is back and I have searched for all possible ways to fix the problem and can't find any. I tried PowerStrip but the "Advanced timing options..." never highlighted so I could not select them. I even tried the 169.25 driver but no joy.

Does anyone have a solution for these new drivers? If not, I guess I will go buy and EVGA cable and use that....

Thanks,

Scott

SLippe
03-18-08, 04:47 AM
Mine did this the other day, a few times, but hasn't done it since. See Sig for parts. Weird.