PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS worth it?

MaysitoJr
01-28-07, 08:38 PM
Hi guys, i recently sold my Radeon X1800XT and i'm looking for a new card. I'm running a C2D E6300 @2.8Ghz and 1Gb ram DDR2 800 (im getting another Gig by the end of the month). I was planning on buying a eVGA 8800GTS Superclocked but i'm not really sure if now it's the right time. I've read R600 is coming this march, so does that mean that my 8800GTS would be obsolete? or would it be a good purchase? I wanna be able to play everything maxed @1280x1024 and with full antialiasing (consider new titles such Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes (dx10 patch), C&C3, etc).
Please I need serious advice :(. Thanks in advance!!!

Redeemed
01-28-07, 08:46 PM
That's a tough pickle you're in.

Well, for now a single 8800GTS would be more than enough at that res with max everything.

But future titles it might not be enough. Could you possibly get the 8800GTX instead? That'd probably be the best bet.

Or, yet another option, by getting the GTS instead of the GTX you'd save enough money to purchase an SLi capable mobo. Then, you could purchase the SLi capable mobo and go two GTSs down the road if necessary.

It is possible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=38&N=2010380048+106791921+1067924921&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

The average price for a GTX is about $600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=38&N=2010380048+106791921+1067924922&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

Whereas the average price for the GTS seems to be about $400. So by getting the GTS you would essentially be saving about $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=20&N=2010200280+1070509908+107171871+1071723177&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=20&N=2010200280+1070509908+107171927+1071726983&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=280

Those are all SLi capable mobos for under $200. That is probably the route I'd take- if you can afford it. ;)

MaysitoJr
01-28-07, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Redeemed :D , that sounds like a good option but unfortunately i'm with low budget right now so getting a new mobo (SLI capable) is probably not the best way to go for me. I can spend max $460 in a new videocard so i believe i could't go for a 8800GTX :(

GoldenTiger
01-28-07, 09:02 PM
You should just go for an eVGA GTS :). The step-up program offers some protection against a rapid card release within 90 days, though these cards will certainly not be obsolete by a longshot. All I've heard about the R600 is how awesome it's going to be, nothing concrete, and it's still a few months away (late March or so is what I heard). If it does turn out to be a huge deal, I'm sure nVidia will respond right away with a refresh of the G80, which you'd then be able to step-up to. That's my game plan, and what I did... the 8800GTS, when overclocked, is C R A Z Y speed-wise. Bring on the DX10 games!

Redeemed
01-28-07, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Redeemed :D , that sounds like a good option but unfortunately i'm with low budget right now so getting a new mobo (SLI capable) is probably not the best way to go for me. I can spend max $460 in a new videocard so i believe i could't go for a 8800GTX :(

Okay, this can still work though. :p

Look, I am currently using two 8800GTSs. Now, I'm fairly confident that they'll handle the likes of Crysis and such with out a problem... it is just that you will be running only one GTS.

Here's what I'd recommend then. Go ahead and get the GTS. You'll love it. It will be leaps and bounds faster than that 1800XT of yours.

Then, when you have the cash, pick up a decent (though not necessarily top of the line) SLi mobo. Aim to spend anywhere from $100 to $150. That'd get you a decent SLi mobo for the most part.

Next in line, probably a new PSU. Just pick up the OCZ GameXstream 750 watt(or similar) PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163108

Silverstone- $124.99. Not a bad price and Silverstone rocks. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256009

$179.98. Again it is a Silverstone which is an awesome company. Well worth the $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817811008

$159. for the 700watt Tagan- Tagan is another great company.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=32&Brand=1550&N=2010320058+1131414179+50001550&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1550&SubCategory=58

Newegg's offering on OCZ's PSUs. I'm currently using the OCZ GameXstream 700 watt PSU and it is awesome. It pushes these two GTSs without a problem- and I have 4x 80 mm fans (with LEDs), 1x120mm fan (no LED), two pulsating and multi-colored cathode-ray tubs, two optical drives, two hard drives, 2GB DDR500 ram (@DDR500), A64 3400 (@ 2.5GHz), and an internal Wireless G card. All as stable as I could like. :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151028

$159.99 for that Seasonic- 650 watts. Seasonic is another awesome brand.

Okay... so to refresh here is what I recommend-

1.) Go ahead and get the GTS now.
2.)Then, save up some $$$ and get a new PSU. Any of the ones I linked to would be highly recommended.
3.)Save up some more $$$ and purchase a decent SLi capable mobo in the $150 range.

***By this time we should have some new games out. So, you should have a good idea as to how the single GTS will work for you. If it just isn't enough, do step # 4:

4.)Save up enough to get a second GTS.

That should last you for quite some time. And, for all anybody knows you might not need another GTS. But atleast you'd have the mobo and PSU just in case. Again, I'm not saying to get all of this at once. I realise that isn't possible- I'm in the same situation my self (sort of). Just buy one component now, then save up a while, and by the next component, save up a while, and then the next component- etc.

BTW, what PSU do you have?

jcrox
01-28-07, 11:01 PM
I'd go with the GTS, especially if you're on a budget. The R600 is coming but....you can likely count on it being quite expensive and at that rez 1 GTS will run everything maxed out easily. As for future games...If it wont run it maxed out, it will come damn close.

Mr_LoL
01-29-07, 04:59 AM
Yeah get the GTS. I dont see the point in getting a sli mobo though tbh.

Redeemed
01-29-07, 05:48 AM
Yeah get the GTS. I dont see the point in getting a sli mobo though tbh.

It's called future proofing. Sure, he might not need SLi- but if necessary he could nearly double his framerate (in some rare situations more than double).

If he doesn't want to go that route- fine. I just know that any DX10 game will be more of a stress on the 8800's than what we have now. Sure, a single GTS could run any of today's games at his resolution with max everything (including AA/AF) and maintain a playable framerate.

But, could it do it with Crysis? Or any other future title he might be interested? We wont know for some time. But, if he had the SLi mobo and the PSU to handle it- if the need ever arose he would have the foundation for an SLi setup in place.

With me, I'm quite confident that these two GTSs will last me for quite some time.

Then again, it is all up to the OP. I gave him my recommendation, that is all.

MaysitoJr
01-29-07, 06:40 AM
Thank you guys so much for all your answers, i have decided to get the 8800GTS now and see what happens in the future with new games. A new PSU is also a must-buy for me, so i might get in a couple of months one of the PSU's that Redeemed recommended in a previous post. Now about my processor, do you think it'll handle well my 8800GTS? or would it be a bottle-neck? because if so, i probably should get a third party HSF and overclock it more (i'm using stock cooling now, but the temps are all ok). Thanks again :)

SlieTheSecond
01-29-07, 09:49 AM
Ya your processor is more than fine for now at that speed. Just wait till you plop in the GTS and see how well games run :)

SLippe
01-29-07, 10:54 AM
I'm kind of right there with you, MaysitoJr. I've decided to go with the eVGA 8800GTS ACS3. I hope to put my order in next week.

Redeemed
01-29-07, 01:58 PM
Thank you guys so much for all your answers, i have decided to get the 8800GTS now and see what happens in the future with new games. A new PSU is also a must-buy for me, so i might get in a couple of months one of the PSU's that Redeemed recommended in a previous post. Now about my processor, do you think it'll handle well my 8800GTS? or would it be a bottle-neck? because if so, i probably should get a third party HSF and overclock it more (i'm using stock cooling now, but the temps are all ok). Thanks again :)

You should be okay with that proc. And if it ever does seem a bit slow, simply get a good aftermarket HSF and OC that proc like there's no tomorrow! :p I believe you should be able to hit like 3.5 with proper cooling, mobo, and ram. So yeah- I'd say that your okay for a while. ;)

Let us know how this new setup works for you. I know I'm loving my two GTSs. I'm in desperate need of a new processor as mine is a tremendous bottleneck. But for now it works. :)

Rakeesh
01-29-07, 03:46 PM
Hmm...I have a roughly identical setup. That makes me question whether I should wait for the GTX to drop in price. Right now I am waiting for the GTS to drop to about $350 before buying one. I don't want to spend anymore than that on a video card. I am trying to keep my total system cost under $1,000. So far I have spent $250 on the cpu and motherboard, $209 on the ram, and $185 on the hdd. The rest (keyboard, mouse, monitor, case, etc) was recycled from my last build.

Though eventually I want to play these games on a 1080p screen. I don't care about having any FSAA at all at that high of a resolution though, just so long as I can play them at the max settings at that resolution is good enough. Should the GTS be able to do this with future titles for at least the next 2 years?

MaysitoJr
01-29-07, 04:57 PM
You should be okay with that proc. And if it ever does seem a bit slow, simply get a good aftermarket HSF and OC that proc like there's no tomorrow! :p I believe you should be able to hit like 3.5 with proper cooling, mobo, and ram. So yeah- I'd say that your okay for a while. ;)

Let us know how this new setup works for you. I know I'm loving my two GTSs. I'm in desperate need of a new processor as mine is a tremendous bottleneck. But for now it works. :)

Thanks again everyone :), I'm going to order it tomorrow and i expect it to arrive in about 2 weeks (that's usually what it takes), I live in Peru and sadly i can't find those videocards here (i need to import them).
It's gonna be a long wait but surely worth it :D

AlphaWolf_HK, have you considered waiting a little longer? i read nVidia is preparing a 320Mb version of the 8800GTS in the $300 range (probably will go cheaper) for february launch.

Redeemed
01-29-07, 05:38 PM
Thanks again everyone :), I'm going to order it tomorrow and i expect it to arrive in about 2 weeks (that's usually what it takes), I live in Peru and sadly i can't find those videocards here (i need to import them).
It's gonna be a long wait but surely worth it :D

AlphaWolf_HK, have you considered waiting a little longer? i read nVidia is preparing a 320Mb version of the 8800GTS in the $300 range (probably will go cheaper) for february launch.

I wouldn't recommend any video card with less than 512MB of ram considering the resolution he aims to play at. I'm sure that once DX10 titles start rolling off the shelves we'll see the video memory get guzzled up a lot quicker than with DX9.

I'd recommend getting a GTS with 640MB of ram. Heck, you could grab one for $359 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130071

And there are other great deals for the GTS here as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=38&N=2010380048+106791921+1067924922&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

I'd definitely go for the 640MB GTS. Future games will choke with only 256MB of ram. I'm quite confident of this.

Xion X2
01-29-07, 08:18 PM
You're going to need some more RAM while you're at it...

Rakeesh
01-30-07, 12:27 AM
Hmm...I don't know if I want to mess with that BFG rebate though. Normally I don't mind rebates, but $50 for something I am ordering online...thats just pushing it. Besides, I don't want to go into debt, and I've actually spent my current short-term savings pool. I never go into debt unless its some kind of capital investment (e.g. a house.) I don't even go into debt when buying cars. Need to wait a few weeks in order to pool some more cash.

I am not going to go for anything less than an 8800GTS. What I am anticipating to happen is for the reduced memory version to come around causing the prices for the 8800GTS to drop. I should be able to pool enough cash by the time this happens.

BTW my setup actually has Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2-667. Same CPU though.

CoolZone
01-30-07, 01:20 AM
if you'll wait you'll see that after r600 comes out,prices will go down so no need to rush for the 8800 gts

Xion X2
01-30-07, 05:26 AM
And when will R600 be out? Nobody has a clue at this point.

CoolZone
01-30-07, 11:38 AM
you have nothing to lose if you wait a little.a lot of prices will come down for sure.

Cyant
01-30-07, 01:29 PM
you have nothing to lose if you wait a little.a lot of prices will come down for sure.
Yeah you are right, let's wait for the G90 or the R700 instead and Octo-Core CPU's too.

Sigh...

Rakeesh
01-30-07, 06:11 PM
if you'll wait you'll see that after r600 comes out,prices will go down so no need to rush for the 8800 gts

Probably, but I don't know if I want to wait more than a month or two. Besides, I don't know if it will affect things *that* much. ATI cards have really been crap lately, and their drivers continue to suck.

Xion X2
01-30-07, 06:55 PM
Yeah you are right, let's wait for the G90 or the R700 instead and Octo-Core CPU's too.

Sigh...

Exactly. Here's someone who gets it.

StoNer
01-30-07, 09:02 PM
I think Redeemed has a good idea as far as how to pursue your upgrading.

jcrox
01-31-07, 02:32 AM
I love all the talk about "future proofing" .... about a year ago everyone told me to spend the extra money and "future proof" my pc with an AMD dual core and all I heard when I didn't buy one was how my CPU would be a bottleneck and that I wasted my money......Glad I saved my money, I'll be buying a new C2D system soon.... Talking about "Future Proofing" in pc gaming is pointless, the future is never more than about 5 months away. Buy a new "future proof" C2D SLI system today, and then DDR3 comes out and AMD's Barcelona and SLI 2.0 and who knows what else.....and then everyone chimes in "Why didn't you wait?? that's what i would have done" LMAO @ Future Proofing.