PDA

View Full Version : Perpendicular drives Seagate 7200.10 feedbacks?

nmdelrio
01-29-07, 01:34 PM
Anyone using these drives from Seagate? Are they any good? I know there are reviews out there but I prefer first hand reports from actual daily users.

Any feedback on these drives?

The reason I'm asking is because I have always been a fan of Western Digital drives. Lately I got two new WD5000YS Caviar RE2 500Gb drives. They were dead on arrival (not sure if it was bad packaging, got them from eBay), RMA-ed them through the eBay seller (quite a good guy), still waiting for them. I got a thrid one which is working well so far, until when, dunno.

Now I am looking at alternatives to WD.

I have two Raptors in RAID working flawless so far. Knock on wood.

What brand HDDs do you use?

ViN86
01-29-07, 01:47 PM
im more of a western digital kind of guy.

however, i have heard some great things about the perpendicular Seagate drives and their speed. but, i have also heard some very bad things about noise and failing.

from reading sites where customers leave reviews (ie newegg) i found that they were kind of hit or miss. i could be wrong though, and those ppl could be to blame for why their HDD was faulty or not up to par.

nekrosoft13
01-29-07, 01:49 PM
Anyone using these drives from Seagate? Are they any good? I know there are reviews out there but I prefer first hand reports from actual daily users.

Any feedback on these drives?

The reason I'm asking is because I have always been a fan of Western Digital drives. Lately I got two new WD5000YS Caviar RE2 500Gb drives. They were dead on arrival (not sure if it was bad packaging, got them from eBay), RMA-ed them through the eBay seller (quite a good guy), still waiting for them. I got a thrid one which is working well so far, until when, dunno.

Now I am looking at alternatives to WD.

I have two Raptors in RAID working flawless so far. Knock on wood.

What brand HDDs do you use?

buying hdds from ebay, the worst idea ever

7200.10 currently are the best hdd sata hdd for price/performance ratio. raptors are slightly faster, just not worth the cash.

few tips when buying 7200.10

1) 320gb model is the fastest, 750gb is the second fastest, 500gb is the third fastest (not 100% sure), 250gb is the slowest

2) 7200.10 made in singapore are of higher quality, made in china drives are made in ex-maxtor factory.

3) almost all made in singapore drives are silent motor, over half of drivers made in china have noisier motor. one way to figure out which is which is my looking at the motor from bottom, if it has a sticker on it, then it should be the silent one.

nekrosoft13
01-29-07, 01:50 PM
im more of a western digital kind of guy.

however, i have heard some great things about the perpendicular Seagate drives and their speed. but, i have also heard some very bad things about noise and failing.

from reading sites where customers leave reviews (ie newegg) i found that they were kind of hit or miss. i could be wrong though, and those ppl could be to blame for why their HDD was faulty or not up to par.

sinpagore drive = quality

china drive = hit or miss

nmdelrio
01-29-07, 02:03 PM
buying hdds from ebay, the worst idea ever

I learned that the hard way (wack)

320gb model is the fastest...
Seen this model in a LCS.

sinpagore drive = quality
china drive = hit or miss

I will take note of the Made in Singapore or China info.

Subtestube
01-29-07, 02:09 PM
I've got a 320Gig one, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've pretty much always used Seagate drives though, and I've never had one fail on me... so... I dunno - maybe I'm just lucky! ;)

Xion X2
01-29-07, 08:53 PM
I'm happy with my 320GB PRT. :) It's a little noiser than the WD's, but I don't mind that.

This is the 2nd Seagate I've owned, and they've both been perfect. The other one I owned was in a Dell system for 2.5 years and is still going.

Bman212121
01-29-07, 09:26 PM
I'll gladly take note of the drive locations, mine must be from singapore because they are noticably quieter than the maxtors I replaced.

I've been running the 320's for several months now, and they are some really nice drives. I think they are the quietest drives I've had, and they don't make that horrible seek sound like some of the WD's do.

So far so good here. My 320GB raid is right on par with a WD Raptor 74GB raid in throughput, and faster in bursting. The raptors are faster for access times because of the 10K spindle speed.

SlieTheSecond
01-29-07, 10:18 PM
I got Western Digital. I think I have a 40 gig maxtor too. Which I am surprised is still working. I've had nothing but problems with maxtor.
WD ftw.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-30-07, 11:14 AM
awesome, I'll be purchasing four 320 Gb 7200.10 drives then for a RAID setup hehe:D

All my maxtors and western digital drives have died within a couple of months of purchase... refuse to use those brands anymore so. I've never had problems with seagate drives so its good to hear that the 7200.10 drives are getting good performance:thumbsup:

queth
01-30-07, 12:33 PM
my 320 makes alot of chirping mouse noises lol.
i've run full disk scans to see if it was causing damage but nothing came up.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-30-07, 12:39 PM
There is no way of gauranteeing that a drive was made in Singapore before purchasing it right?

nekrosoft13
01-30-07, 03:09 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']There is no way of gauranteeing that a drive was made in Singapore before purchasing it right?

i buy mine at local tigerdirect, where i can see the drive, if its from china i just avoid it. not all drives from china are bad or noisy, but the odds are not good

einstein_314
01-30-07, 03:41 PM
I've got 5 320gb 7200.10 drives. They're all great! Two of them are in a RAID 0, 2 in RAID 1 (different computer) and one just by itself. Great drives! Although I didn't know about the different manufacturing locations...I'll have to check mine. Mine are nice and quiet though..

walterman
01-31-07, 07:19 AM
I got the 7200.10 250GB (ST3250820AS) for my HTPC recently.

I must say that i'm impressed with the performance. Seems faster than my WD2500KS, but, i've my fears, cause, all my previous Seagate HDDs died in the past (8GB, 20GB & 120GB IDE models). I'll tell you in 1y if the HDD is still alive.

nmdelrio
01-31-07, 10:17 AM
I I'll tell you in 1y if the HDD is still alive.

:zzzz:

walterman
01-31-07, 03:01 PM
lol, sorry, but, i had very bad results with my previous Seagate drives :)

Lfctony
01-31-07, 03:15 PM
I got Western Digital. I think I have a 40 gig maxtor too. Which I am surprised is still working. I've had nothing but problems with maxtor.
WD ftw.

Same here, prefer Seagate myself. I even avoid Maxtor now, even after Seagate acquired them...

J-Mag
01-31-07, 03:19 PM
Same here, prefer Seagate myself. I even avoid Maxtor now, even after Seagate acquired them...

Yet some seagate branded drives are made in maxtor factories now... Kinda makes your brand preference pointless.

nmdelrio
02-01-07, 07:25 AM

I received my replacement drives today in the mail, finally, and properly packed the manfacturer way. I'll see how they go when I come home tonight.

Too early to bring out a bottle of beer.

:(

Bearclaw
02-01-07, 07:42 AM
I just built a system for my dad with a 320gb 7200.10 seagate in it and it is awesome. I would onyl go seagate now after seeing it compared to other brands I have used.