PDA

View Full Version : A minor Freelancer annoyance

St Lobus
03-10-03, 07:36 PM
I've run into a minor problem in freelancer. First off, I think this game is awesome and it runs very stably. I've been playing for almost 6 hours with some friends on a dedicated server we set up. The problem I'm running into seems to happen with the Defender ship and when leaving a station or battleship, but not a planet. Upon leaving, the ships engines are set to full speed. I can slow down by holding back, but once I let go, the ship luches forward and continues at full speed. Now, I thought I had hit something at first, but this is not the case. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and what they have done to fix it.

The Baron
03-10-03, 08:14 PM
Uh... check your keybindings for throttle.

St Lobus
03-10-03, 08:41 PM
Checked it, it doesn't help. Even the kill engines button doesn't help.

SavagePaladin
03-17-03, 05:55 PM
I've encountered a few bugs, but definitely not that one.

Mostly, the political and patrol path maps aren't....right. Really my only issue.

St Lobus
03-17-03, 10:00 PM
Now, I'm wondering if it was just a sync error with the host computer, but I only encountered it on that server. Since then, we have done things to help with the lag and such, and I'm not running into that problem anymore. It's weird, but what can I say?

SavagePaladin
03-17-03, 11:26 PM
There are definately wierd lag things going on, I've noticed plenty :) but as well as it performs on my modem, I'm not complaining.

The Baron
03-18-03, 12:10 AM
Ah, Freelancer has the worst net code in existence. Plus, it's a LOT more dependent on luck and the speed of the dedicated server than it is on raw bandwidth..

SavagePaladin
03-18-03, 12:26 AM
The worst? Is that why its the only game in existance I can PLAY online?

Well, possibly the worst for you, then, but the best for me.

The Baron
03-18-03, 01:07 AM
You ever played on a server with 3 people on it that was lagged to hell because the people were all in different systems?

Like constant flashing red lag?

Plus the game is reliant upon the master server to work unless you want to manually edit a config file. There's no way to add "favorites." It gives you a choice of pilot pic, starting ship, etc., but there's only one choice. It has no way to see what you're actually pinging.

Need I go on? ;)

SavagePaladin
03-18-03, 02:00 AM
I've played on a server that had 8 people on it in at least 3 systems...and on my 36k modem conn it worked fine...
Had a 6 player one just today.

In that scenario I'd say: blame the server

stncttr908
03-18-03, 08:00 AM
The game runs w/33.6 speeds? :wtf:

SavagePaladin
03-18-03, 01:15 PM
well, I don't know, I get 36k <g>

St Lobus
03-18-03, 04:01 PM
I do have to say the game with the best netcode that I've seen would have to be Darkstone. I was on a T1 up at college and had a friend connect to me via 28.8 kbps modem (was 56k, but could only connect to ISP at 28.8 or whatever, you remember how it was :D ) with absolutely no lag in the game on either side.

But yeah, Freelancer starts lagging way too quickly. I've been dropped from our server when a fourth person jumps on, and all of us that play on it are on cable modems. It is a fun game, though, so I stick with it. I'm sure (or at least really really hoping) there will be patches for the netcode.

SavagePaladin
03-18-03, 07:32 PM
thats very odd, I was just on a 16 player game with only a little lag.

Akucaen
03-21-03, 05:36 PM
Heh. Maybe MS didn't salavage the netcode from Alleignace then. it worked in the end, lol.

SavagePaladin
03-21-03, 10:34 PM
I would suggest you check the server usage when in multiple systems, if its not a dedicated server....cause seriously, I occasionally have lag, true, but I OFTEN play on >8 player servers and have no problems.

This wierds me out, to be honest.

The Baron
03-21-03, 10:38 PM
Right now, I don't run a server...

but maybe I should. ;)

Phillychuck
03-23-03, 08:59 PM
I've played on mostly 12-32 populated servers and its hit or miss, and because of so many misses (bad servers) I've decided to give up on MP. Cheats run rampant on public servers, which is a joke because without cheating I can go from newbie to top of the line w/ nomad guns in 3-4 hrs without help.. Problem is, after you do that 3 times and tried out all the best ships. What else is there? Few people actually group.. The PvP is the bulley picking on the newbie 90% of the time..

SP was fun but not worth $50 IMO.

It would be cool if the missions scaled to MP, but everyone I've done can be done solo.

Public servers ALL seem to crash once every 24 hours, even my LAN server that only I played on would give some sort of memory error upon exiting.. Obvious bugs that MS should fix before the server admins say the heck with it.

SavagePaladin
03-23-03, 09:50 PM
I haven't had those problems either. Guess I'll stay on the same server I usually go on then.

SavagePaladin
03-27-03, 09:59 PM
OK, my experience with a 2 person non dedicated LAN server

yeah, I got the red button a few times, but I never actually got any lag. Got a skip or two in game but it was so rare that it wasn't a problem (Not even really worth mentioning, except to be thorough)

No crashes. It did keep trying to dial up the the net, which I didn't actually want it to, but eh I'll live there too.

The server does use some RAM....but I didn't check the load with actual players on it...was too busy taking missions with my brother
He kept not getting any kills until I clued him in to the afterburner...hehe

SavagePaladin
03-27-03, 11:40 PM
This is just a quick note to let you know that we have heard your cries about the server instability and rampant cheating in multiplayer Freelancer and are acting on them.

After spending some time analyzing the server crashes and cheating problems, we've started work on a server-only patch to focused on stability and anti-cheating measures. We have already improved the stability of the server and plugged the most popular cheats and should be ready for beta testing in a week or so.

We will be running a public server here at Digital Anvil for initial testing, then will work with the Freelancer server admin community to beta test the patch. We expect the patch to be tested and ready to go in about 4 weeks. We'll release more details as we approach beta.

-TNB
Tony Bratton
Freelancer Multiplayer Development Lead
stolen from lancersreactor

Phillychuck
03-28-03, 12:40 AM
LOL 4 weeks, games been out for almost a month and MP servers can't survive 24 hours without bombing.. I think they'd better try harder, I've already lost interest in MP.. I'm sure others are following suit.

SavagePaladin
03-28-03, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't know, I never had problems on my servers...still

as for cheating, well if anyone was, I didn't get killed because of it at least

I was on Dementia Solaris if you wanted to know