PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Silver 5

TonyM16
01-30-07, 10:50 AM
Hi.Anyone know if Arctic Sliver 5 3.5g tube has an expiry date? How long before it goes crap or craper? I have had my tube for quite a while, I think about a year at the very least if not more. There is still loads left in the tube, but the As 5 website even says that seperation will occur over time, which will reduce performance. Thats all it says though. they give no time limit. They gave stirage instructions though. They say keep it cool (refrigirator cool) and keep it vertical. I did neither. I wonder if in this case would the brand new grease that came with my Tuniq Tower would be better or not?

Cheers.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-30-07, 11:10 AM
I've had a couple tubes go bad in a couple of weeks:lol:

TonyM16
01-30-07, 11:17 AM
-LORD-eX-Bu']I've had a couple tubes go bad in a couple of weeks:lol:

Seriouslly!! How do you know if they have gone bad?

LORD-eX-Bu
01-30-07, 11:42 AM
well I couldn't spread it out. It would kinda "clump".. don't know if that makes sense...

TonyM16
01-30-07, 12:51 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']well I couldn't spread it out. It would kinda "clump".. don't know if that makes sense...

I think I understand. It sounds liek the grease has become like dry dough , where instead of rolling it starts to break. I assume that is the seperation thing, so you probably have a watery substance in the tube somewhere aswell.

Thanks for your posts. I think my AS 5 might be okay then as it didn't clump up last time I used it. Cheers.

PS. Does it annoy yyou to have your As 5 go crap so quickly forcing you to buy it again and again? Or did AS 5 exchange it for you ( I would think this would be difficult to do as it's a consumable) ?

LORD-eX-Bu
01-30-07, 12:54 PM
I only buy it when I need it, it is pretty cheap so it doesn't bother me. I usually lose the tubes somehow but I have one that Tiki sent me with the CPU that I bought off of him sitting in my fridge.

From now on tho I will be using Shin Etsu:D

nmdelrio
01-30-07, 01:11 PM
-LORD-eX-Bu']well I couldn't spread it out. It would kinda "clump".. don't know if that makes sense...

If it's like what Lord says, that is you cannot spread it out, then it's dried out and you need to get a fresh new tube.

I use AS5 as well, and the instructions says you just need to put a "drop" and fix you HS, and it is supposed to spread out itself from the pressure. Unlike other thermal greases that you need to spread out thinly with your credit card.

I say, don't risk it, get a new tube.
:cool:

XDanger
01-30-07, 01:16 PM
I use Ceramique because it tastes better.

T.h.o.m.a.s.
01-30-07, 01:35 PM
you can use copper paste , the one they use on bolts and stuff

much cheaper and doesnt go bad over time

i'm using it for two years now , works flawless

firehawk
01-30-07, 05:43 PM
i have a tube thats been around for 2 years. it's still ok.

i keep all my thermal paste in a little ziplock baggie and always put the caps back on the tubes.

i've never had any "go bad" on me

tacos4me
01-30-07, 07:07 PM
Storage

Like any mix of particles that are many times heavier than the suspension fluid, there will be some separation in the compound over time when stored in the original syringe. (All thermal compounds eventually experience some separation in storage.) This does not affect the performance of the unseparated or remixed compound.
To keep the compound fresh for future applications, always replace the cap on the syringe after each use. The syringe should be stored tip down so that any separation that occurs will be at the back end of the syringe with fully suspended particles below that. Storing in a cool place like a refrigerator will also lessen separation over time.

;)

Amuro
01-30-07, 07:36 PM
I use STG super thermal grease from Zalman. Easier to spread with the applicator and bette than AS5.

SlieTheSecond
01-30-07, 07:43 PM
It's all the same crap. I've yet to see any definitive studies to prove that this top of the line thermal paste will work better than that top of the line thermal paste.

The only time have I noticed a difference in temperature was when the paste was improperly applied, which is usually too much paste. You would be amazed at what actually works.

I use AS5. Only because I needed some paste, and that is all the store had. And that lil tube will last me about 200 cpu's worth.
And it's grease. Doesn't tear off the top layer of the chip when you pull the heat sink off :afro2:

scott123
01-31-07, 08:58 AM
you can use copper paste , the one they use on bolts and stuff

much cheaper and doesnt go bad over time

i'm using it for two years now , works flawless

Brand name is anti-seize or never-seize. It's primary purpose is to prevent bolts from rusting in place, so they can be removed later. It does work as a heat conductive compound, but I never heard of anyone using it on a computer CPU :crosseye:. I have several brands on my truck, maybe I'll try a small dab next time ;)

I've never been a fan of AS mainly because every test I've ever reviewed shows there is little-to-no difference from other (cheaper & non-conductive) alternatives.