PDA

View Full Version : Which Core 2 Duo & Motherboard

esir
01-30-07, 11:15 AM
Hello guys,
I have amd athlon 3500 and asus sli premium and 8800GTX.
I'll buy a new motherboard and a core 2 duo cpu,6300 or 6400 which one better for me with which mainbord for overclock.
iam think about Asus striker extreme.
Iam waiting your advice.thanks.

SlieTheSecond
01-30-07, 11:28 AM
Sli or non-Sli ?

esir
01-30-07, 11:37 AM
SLI maybe second 8800 coming.

Xion X2
01-31-07, 06:46 AM
For SLI, your best bet is the nForce 680i chipset. Good FSBs and full 16xPCI-E on both lanes in SLI. For a single card, the Asus P5B Deluxe is your best bet. FSB's over 500 are very reachable and the Intel chipset is solid as a rock.

My own personal opinion, but I'd stay away from the Striker; it's overpriced and seems to have at least as many/more issues than the rest of the 680i boards. To be perfectly honest, they all have their quirks, but after flashing to the most recent BIOS my BFG 680i has been perfectly stable. A lot of people also go w/ the eVGA 680i and have had some success.

If you're interested, I have both a P5B Deluxe and an eVGA 680i board for sale. The eVGA box has been opened, but the motherboard itself is a brand new replacement I was just shipped and has never been installed. Comes with all original accessories except the optional fan for the northbridge. The P5B Deluxe is used but is only about a month old and in perfect operating condition.

PM me if interested. My ebay ID is mikegts455i w/ 100% positive feedback.

XDanger
02-01-07, 02:57 PM
You prefer your BFG to the Evga ?
http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/536427-A.jpg
Is that a crank handle to start it up ? Vroom Vroom :)

Xion X2
02-01-07, 03:14 PM
I had some issues w/ my eVGA. The southbridge overheated really bad and eventually fried the board. The highest I ever saw it get was 91C. Shortly after that, it died.

The southbridge on my BFG gets no hotter than 60C, so going by personal experience I prefer this one, yeah.

Crank handle? lol.. it's a heatpipe, obviously. ;)