PDA

View Full Version : best drivers for 6600 with legacy games

Ryoko
01-30-07, 06:10 PM
hello, all. i am having a little trouble with my brother's computer.

it all started when i bought him a video card last christmas. he never could get an uncorrupted video stream to his monitor until i gave him a new mobo/cpu/ram/psu. since then, he's had random crashes in video intensive programs. we've tried a few different driver sets, but were unable to form a conclusion as to what the problem was. each set fixed some issues, but created new ones elsewhere.

my question is, what would be the best driver set for a 6600gt with winxp that would run older games (i.e. diablo II) without random crashes?

i'm open to other suggestions as well, but i can't think of any other reason why this would be happening, as all of his current hardware worked fine when i was the owner.

and before anyone asks, we even went as far as to format and reinstall a clean version of windows to eliminate other software as an issue.

StoNer
01-30-07, 09:53 PM
What new mobo/cpu/ram/psu is he using?

Have you tried different driver sets for those?

As for stable drivers my 6800GT is running D2 stable with the 93.71 set.

Glad to see im not the only one playin some D2 :P

Ryoko
01-30-07, 11:35 PM
What new mobo/cpu/ram/psu is he using?

Have you tried different driver sets for those?

As for stable drivers my 6800GT is running D2 stable with the 93.71 set.

Glad to see im not the only one playin some D2 :P
well, they're not new hardware, they're just new to his computer.

here's the working config i had before:

asus a7v133a mobo
512mb kingston ram
1.8ghz duron
geforce 6600gt
sb live value
accton 1207d nic
30gb maxtor
2x80gb wd
16x dvdrw
52x cdrw
2x dvdrom
and the kicker: a 250 watt power supply. yes, it worked well.

his current hardware:
asus a7v133a mobo
512mb kingston ram
1.8ghz duron
geforce 6600gt
sb audigy
kingston 111tx nic
80gb maxtor
250gb wd
2x dvdrom
and the same 250w power supply. less power required, so i doubt that's it, though i have tried other psu's to no avail.

we've tried about a dozen drivers to test it out. not sure which ones as he was the one testing them.

i will tell him about the 93.71's and see if that works for him. thank you for the advice :)