PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer + computer

kev13dd
01-30-07, 09:27 PM
Is there a certain distance or such that my PC should be away from my subwoofer?

I used to have my dinky little 30 watt subwoofer about 2 feet away from the PC case. It really didn't shake anything or what not, so I didn't really think much of it. But now that I upgraded to a 100 watt, it seems a little bit more.. dangerous. This one has a port on the side which blows a nice decent amount of air out, plus it's size makes the distance more like 1 foot rather than 2...

So is it safe to have the sub so close to the PC? I had a powersupply die about a week or two after getting the sub, but it wasn't the highest quality PS so I doubt the sound had much to do with it. But besides card creep, is there any adverse effects of having the sub close? If so, what's the recommended distance? Thanks!

EDIT: I moved the sub to under my bed in order to give it a little more space, but I'd much rather move it back out considering it only adds a foot or two of distance

K

SlieTheSecond
01-30-07, 09:50 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about, unless there is massive vibration traveling through the floor causing your Computer case to shake like a car with a wobbling wheel, is the electromagnetic field generated by the sub.

If the sub is properly shielded should be fine, it it is not. I wouldn't have it anywhere near the case/monitor.

$n][pErMan
01-30-07, 10:12 PM
If the sub is properly shielded should be fine, it it is not. I wouldn't have it anywhere near the case/monitor.
^^^^. Case and point.. I have a 17in CRT monitor I use for my laptop and I had the power supply to the laptop right under it (im running out of room). The field was so powerfull it would keep forcing my laptop off because the field was changing the input voltage to the laptop through the transformer. I moved the PS away and all of a sudden the laptop works fine again. I keep my woofer on the floor by my feet and my computer up on my desk.