PDA

View Full Version : Help me diagnose my problem?

dg81
01-31-07, 10:34 AM
Hello everyone. First time poster but long time user of eVGA products.

I'm having a problem with a new rig I just built. I installed an 8800GTX in the system and loaded it up with Vista. Whenever I tried playing a couple of games on it, like Doom 3 and Everquest 2, the frame rate would stutter badly. Then eventually it would freeze up. In some extreme cases, I'd see a blue screen then it would reboot.

At first, I thought it was a Vista thing. So I decided to install XP on the machine and give the games ago under that. However, the problem was still evident.

I can also hear (what I believe to be the video card) a low clicking or a purring noise whenever I do something graphically intense (which almost sounds like a hard drive accessing something).

I tried adjusting the fan settings but I can't figure out how to adjust them with the various programs out there.

I also don't think it's a lack of power supply running to the card because I have a 600W Coolmax CXI PSU which has a combined amp rating of 52A on the 12v rail (12v1: 14A, 12v2: 23A, 12v3: 15A).

I'll leave you with my system specs below. If increasing the fan speed doesn't improve anything, could it be a bad card?

Thanks so much for your input.

AMD Athlon X2 5200+
Asus M2N32
eVGA 8800 GTX
Corsair 4GB XMS2-6400 / DDR2-800
2 750GB SATA Drives
DVD+RW Drive

dg81
01-31-07, 10:35 AM
Hmm, forgot I had all my system info in my signature. :)

SlieTheSecond
01-31-07, 11:00 AM
I haven't been following the vista drivers, I know you didn't want to play games in vista before. But I don't know if its the same now.

Are you using two PCI-E power connectors for the video card? If so, try one pci-e and use the molex-> pci-e for the other one and see if that helps.
You got the latest drivers for xp I asume? You could try reinstalling them, or going back a version. Use driver cleaner if you do.

XFX Support
01-31-07, 11:07 AM
What are the idle and load temps of the video card? If the same thing happens on Vista and XP then it may not be a driver issue and they have different driver versions. What kind of frame rates are you getting, especially when it stutters?

XFX Support

dg81
01-31-07, 11:09 AM
Yes, I'm using two PCI-E power adapters to power the card. Those are the small, six prong plugs, correct?

I also was running the latest drivers.

When I get home tonight, I'll try that out after I tweak the fan settings.

dg81
01-31-07, 11:15 AM
What are the idle and load temps of the video card? If the same thing happens on Vista and XP then it may not be a driver issue and they have different driver versions. What kind of frame rates are you getting, especially when it stutters?

XFX Support

Since I'm not at the specific computer at the moment, I couldn't tell you any of the specifics yet.

When I tried Everquest 2, it seemed like I would get about 15 frames, pause for several seconds, get another 15 frames, pause, and repeat.

When I loaded Doom 3, I actually had silky smooth frame rates playing the game on the second highest graphics level. So I upped it to the highest graphics settings and restarted the game. When I got inside the actual game, it rendered my surroundings and then crashed.

Xion X2
01-31-07, 12:01 PM
Are you using two PCI-E power connectors for the video card? If so, try one pci-e and use the molex-> pci-e for the other one and see if that helps.

Do what this man right here says. The adapter should've came in the box your card was in.

dg81
02-01-07, 09:42 AM
* Tried removing 2 gigs of RAM. No luck.

* Tried unplugging one of the 6-prong power plugs to the cord and used the adapter to use two hard drive power plugs as someone suggested. No luck.

* Tried using Rivatuner, but I could not change the control of the fan. Perhaps this was because it wasn't detecting my driver?

Since it seems like none of this worked under XP, I went back to Vista and installed to newly released 100.57 drivers. This seemed to help as I could actually get inside game environments and move around. But it really didn't like Nvidia control panel controlled AA and AF... it blue screened.

This can't be normal...

Also, is my video card supposed to be making hard drive-like noises?

XFX Support
02-01-07, 10:36 AM
At this point I would recommend you team with EVGA and start a support ticket as an RMA by be in order.

XFX Support