PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 8800GTS

Pages : [1] 2 3

YeaYea911
01-31-07, 11:22 AM
Hello folks, first timer here..go easy (nana2)

Well, I currently have Dual 7800GTX (256MB) in my rig with an FX-60 for my processor. I want to make the plunge to an 8800GTS. My first game of the new year is coming out fairly soon (Quake Wars) plus Crysis and UT3 later on this year. Now what do I do? I am def going to get one GTS, but do I splurge on another one and go SLI? I have a 23" HD monitor that plays at 1920x1200. My 7800's have served me REALLY WELL over the last 2 years. But I feel it is time to move on. My power supply in my case is capable of handling 2 GTS. I have a dual-boot on my machine between Vista and XP, so drivers are not really a big issue for me YET.

Any opinions?

Xion X2
01-31-07, 11:58 AM
1920x1200? Definitely go SLI. What kind of power supply do you have?

YeaYea911
01-31-07, 12:10 PM
I have a antec 650W. The power requirements are nmot much more then my 7800's were. So it will be a no brainer. Is my FX-60 going to be a bottleneck?

Orsenfelt
01-31-07, 12:21 PM
Sorry to but in, Don't wanna hi-jack your thread, However.. would a single 8800GTX run 1920x1200? I'm building soon and looking at the Dell 24", don't want a rig that can't run it.. lol.

SlieTheSecond
01-31-07, 12:37 PM
At that res either 2 GTS's or get a GTX and maby add another GTX down the line if your comp cant handle it.

FX-60 will be a bit of a bottleneck. Even C2D's can be a bit of a bottleneck. But not by much.

SlieTheSecond
01-31-07, 12:38 PM
Duplicate

Orsenfelt
01-31-07, 12:42 PM
What kind of PSU you looking at to power 2GTX's? 700W+? (from a good manufacturer that is..)

Xion X2
01-31-07, 01:02 PM
I'd go no less than a 750W'er from a good name brand like PCP&C or Silverstone. 800W'er recommended. For 2 GTX's, that is.

And your FX-60 will do just fine. Put a nice little overclock on it if you haven't already. Try to get it to at least 3.1-3.2gHz.

XDanger
01-31-07, 02:42 PM
http://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/499239-A.jpg
MMmm free game Yummy.

GeniusPr0
01-31-07, 03:24 PM
screw asus go evga

Redeemed
01-31-07, 03:28 PM
screw asus go evga

+1 ;)

To OP:

I'm running dual GTSs (eVGA) and I can play practically every game I own at 1920x1440, 16xAA, 16xAF, and all in-game options maxed (this goes for FEAR, HL2, HL2:LC, HL2:EP1, Quake4, FarCry, etc). I highly recommend the two GTSs.

Then start putting some more money away for a quad core setup. :p

therapture
01-31-07, 04:34 PM
A single GTX will run that 1920 res quite well, and no need for insane power requirements. SLI, while nifty, is not fool proof by any means, not to mention SLI 8800's CANNOT run dual monitors in SLI mode.

Get a single GTX, enjoy. SLI is not a very smart upgrade path.

Redeemed
01-31-07, 04:58 PM
A single GTX will run that 1920 res quite well, and no need for insane power requirements. SLI, while nifty, is not fool proof by any means, not to mention SLI 8800's CANNOT run dual monitors in SLI mode.

Get a single GTX, enjoy. SLI is not a very smart upgrade path.

In your opinion, it is not. But for the OP it just might be. I know people with 7800GTXs that have served them well since the card was first introduced. Now, for high-res gaming with AA/AF no single card can allow such a claim.

If it wants a setup to last several years at that res with any AA/AF and maxed in-game settings then he'll need SLi. And I'm only on my second SLi based system, but so far I've had zero problems or hassles with it.

Xion X2
01-31-07, 06:35 PM
And I'm only on my second SLi based system, but so far I've had zero problems or hassles with it.

Same here. SLI works perfect for me, too. Some of these people trashing it may be going off of past experiences, but I've been really impressed by the consistency in performance gains I've seen as a result from the 8000-series cards in SLI mode. And it's very easy to set up if you have even intermediate knowledge about computers.

Go SLI'd GTS's over a single GTX. A GTX will start to struggle with some future titles at the res you're playing at.

Redeemed
01-31-07, 06:38 PM
Same here. SLI works perfect for me, too. Some of these people trashing it may be going off of past experiences, but I've been really impressed by the consistency in performance gains I've seen as a result from the 8000-series cards in SLI mode. And it's very easy to set up if you have even intermediate knowledge about computers.

Go SLI'd GTS's over a single GTX. A GTX will start to struggle with some future titles at the res you're playing at.

I still find it hard to believe that you're saying such things about SLi now. :p

I knew you'd switch back. ;) I even think I predicted that you'd go back to SLi in an earlier thread.

YeaYea911
01-31-07, 06:40 PM
The 7800GTX's was my first SLI Rig and I have never had a problem with them. I have not heard many horror stories about the 8800GTS in SLI. All I have heard are good things about the setup and it is the best bang for the buck for the price range. There are some really good deals going on right now with the 8800GTS from Newegg, $379 after a rebate. So, I am expecting my tax rebate to come in any day now, and when that does, the 8800GTS are mine :-)

Thanks for all the reply's

Redeemed
01-31-07, 06:48 PM
The 7800GTX's was my first SLI Rig and I have never had a problem with them. I have not heard many horror stories about the 8800GTS in SLI. All I have heard are good things about the setup and it is the best bang for the buck for the price range. There are some really good deals going on right now with the 8800GTS from Newegg, $379 after a rebate. So, I am expecting my tax rebate to come in any day now, and when that does, the 8800GTS are mine :-)

Thanks for all the reply's

No problem. Let us know how the new setup works. :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. ;)

Rakeesh
02-01-07, 12:42 AM

The only reason I don't like SLI is because the price vs performance is rock bottom. Economically, you are better off buying a top of the line card every 2 years, rather than going SLI which will still need an upgrade anyways after 3 years.

I've never had SLI myself, just looking at the numbers it isn't terribly appealing.

Xion X2
02-01-07, 03:04 AM
Well, SLI's not for everyone. But I love it, myself. I am very, very picky about graphics. I like to have tons of AA at my disposal and a consistent 60 frames/second in my games, and SLI's perfect for that. I used to be happy w/ only 4xAA in my games, but after seeing how clean 16xAA looks I'll never be able to go back. :p

In the past, I've always upgraded cards every 9-12 months, anyway. I'll likely wait a little longer than that this time around, because 2 8800GTX's should be able to play anything out there at high settings for the next 15-18 months and also because I've invested a little extra in these waterblocks. So if you're picky about graphics like I am and don't want to keep swapping out graphics cards every generation, then SLI is another upgrade path to go.

As long as it continues to scale as well as it's doing now and be as consistent, then I'll probably stick with it.

Redeemed
02-01-07, 06:02 AM
Well, SLI's not for everyone. But I love it, myself. I am very, very picky about graphics. I like to have tons of AA at my disposal and a consistent 60 frames/second in my games, and SLI's perfect for that. I used to be happy w/ only 4xAA in my games, but after seeing how clean 16xAA looks I'll never be able to go back. :p

In the past, I've always upgraded cards every 9-12 months, anyway. I'll likely wait a little longer than that this time around, because 2 8800GTX's should be able to play anything out there at high settings for the next 15-18 months and also because I've invested a little extra in these waterblocks. So if you're picky about graphics like I am and don't want to keep swapping out graphics cards every generation, then SLI is another upgrade path to go.

As long as it continues to scale as well as it's doing now and be as consistent, then I'll probably stick with it.

My reasoning is practically identical. And there isn't and has not been a single card for a long time that could play the latest games at high res with AA for a couple years. Just look at how poorly a sinlge 7900GTX performs at 1920x1440 with any level of AA in today's latest games. And it wasn't even a year ago that the 7900GTX was announced.

So yeah, with SLi you could expect 2 or even more years with high res, high AA, and high in game settings while with a single card- maybe a year at best.

Redeemed
02-01-07, 06:13 AM
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1635_6.html

In this review the 7900GTX alone can play most every game with decent average framerates. Yet I'd hate to see the minimal framerates.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1328/

Same thing. The avg. framerate is acceptable- it'd be the minimal framerate that would concern me.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_7900_gtx/page_10.shtml

Again, the single 7900GTX avg. framerates are good, but the minimal would really have me concerned.

Yet, look at the SLi scores for the 7900GTX- next to nothing could bring it down. And I'm pretty confident that a 7900GTX SLi setup would actually run Crysis rather well. Sure, probably not at the uber high res of 2560x1600 with any decent level of AA and maxed in-game settings, but it run Crysis with high enough settings I'm willing to bet. Whereas I'm convinced a single 7900GTX will croak at anything near high settings w/high res and any decent amount of AA.

So if you don't game at high res with any AA and maxed in-game options, then a single card will last you a while. But if you do game at a high res with AA and maxed in-game options than SLi is a must for decent framerates.

licker
02-01-07, 10:17 AM
Go SLI GTS, This is what I'm currently running at the moment and I have to tell you it's a whole new world playing games with everything maxed to it's highest! Only problem I am having now is some power problems, I have a 600w OCZ and only when I'm playing BF2 will my computer power off so I'm fixing that problem with a Bay powersupply.

Redeemed
02-01-07, 04:47 PM
Go SLI GTS, This is what I'm currently running at the moment and I have to tell you it's a whole new world playing games with everything maxed to it's highest! Only problem I am having now is some power problems, I have a 600w OCZ and only when I'm playing BF2 will my computer power off so I'm fixing that problem with a Bay powersupply.

I really do not recommend one of those bay power supplies. One of the contestants for the "Best G80 Rig Contest" tried one of those with no luck. Simply put it just wouldn't power the card at all. I would highly recommend an actual PSU upgrade. Even if it means saving up for a little bit longer. Run a single GTS if necessary to prevent damage if you do have to wait and save up more funds. But I can't stress it enough- a full on PSU upgrade would be by far the best choice.

licker
02-02-07, 01:08 AM
I really do not recommend one of those bay power supplies. One of the contestants for the "Best G80 Rig Contest" tried one of those with no luck. Simply put it just wouldn't power the card at all. I would highly recommend an actual PSU upgrade. Even if it means saving up for a little bit longer. Run a single GTS if necessary to prevent damage if you do have to wait and save up more funds. But I can't stress it enough- a full on PSU upgrade would be by far the best choice.

Just installed it tonight, only needed it to support one card and everything is running great!

MustangSVT
02-02-07, 01:40 AM
You need 8800 GTX in SLI to play at 1920x1200? I wasn't told about this. Heck I've been playing for months now nearly all my games at 1920x1200 with my measly X1900XT. Granted I don't use AA for most of them, but they look great and run fine. The only exceptions are Company of Heroes and Battlefield 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 (all those have to run at 1680x1050 and I play BF2 on my 17" LCD instead since it doesn't support widescreen I think). I'm actually waiting for R600 to come out. I don't have any plans to get dual cards at anytime in the next couple of years, I see it as an impractical solution. I would rather wait for the next generation of cars and get one of those than mess around with 2 cards and power issues and room issues. Hopefully R600 will be at least a bit more powerful than the 8800 GTX. If it's not, I'll probably just get a single 8800GTX or something.