PDA

View Full Version : Mods?

glennalan
01-31-07, 09:23 PM
Could anyone explain Mods to me? I don't have broadband yet so I don't play any multiplayer. I just play first person shooters. Can you mod your games without broadband or multiplayer?
Thanks!

nutcrackr
01-31-07, 09:51 PM
Mods are just modifications of the existing game, you don't have to play multiplayer to play all of them as there are a few good SP mods out for various games. Most recent mods (thinking hl2 here) can be quite large and would take several hours to download on Dialup however. There are smaller modifications though that modify small files that you can apply yourself or just download a small zip files with the stuff in it, eg Doom 3 had lots of small mods that changed minor things in the game.

grey_1
01-31-07, 09:56 PM
When you say 'mods' it's usually a community or user made change to the game, whether increasing power for weapons or building whole new maps to release to the community. Just google for the game your curious about "Doom 3 mods", you'll find a ton.

Several games come with tools for modding your game, look up map and mod tutorials for the game.

Without broadband of some sort, dsl, cable, fios...downloading some maps can be painful, some large files. On Multi player you will want broadband.

last, you don't have to have an internet connection to mod. Only if you want to download resources for that game.

glennalan
02-01-07, 08:39 AM
I'm confused a little about what you said about you don't have to have an internet connection for some mods. I thought thery were all downloaded from the internet. Sometimes here and there I do have access to broadband through wi-fi though that is rare.
If I download a mod such as a HL2 mod is it difficult to install it into the game or is it like a patch that will install itself automatically when downloaded?

stncttr908
02-01-07, 01:11 PM
It depends on the mod. Sometimes you extract it to the game folder, sometimes they have an installer/uninstaller, etc.

nekrosoft13
02-01-07, 01:35 PM
most mods have a readme file, just read it ;)

glennalan
02-01-07, 04:02 PM
Right i figue that i will eventuallly have to get broadband to try some of these
more advanced gaming stuff.

grey_1
02-01-07, 04:30 PM
Right i figue that i will eventuallly have to get broadband to try some of these
more advanced gaming stuff.
Not all of it is more advanced. Some are pretty bad:p , but you will find some that seem like that's what the game developer should have done in the first place.

EDIT: Is there a particular game your more interested in?

glennalan
02-01-07, 07:22 PM
I had seen some Half life 2 mods that seemed interesting. I had downloaded some mods in the past that were suppose to change soldiers uniforms and after I donwloaded the mod there was no change.